Need host for Python and Ruby (SOLVED)

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
klhrevolutionist

Need host for Python and Ruby (SOLVED)

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

you can get ruby and python both from here!!!

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/KlhRevolutionist

Have fun!!!
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Mon 08 Aug 2005, 14:12, edited 2 times in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Need host for Python and Ruby

#2 Post by Flash »

klhrevolutionist wrote: I admit, the dotpup page in Additional Software and stuff is getting choked up so others and myself have been posting outside of it.
But we need to somehow clean up the forum, not erase answers
but erase cluttered junk it's getting crowded in this dogpound!!!
Does anyone agree or am I wrong?
If you mean that the forum could be more organized, I agree. It is definitely not self-organizing. That's why I started the sticky indexes for the Beginners and Additional Software forums, and why I risk pissing people off by changing the subject lines of their posts to more clearly reflect the contents. I do those things because I believe they make the forum more useful. So far, no one has disagreed, so I'll keep doing them.

However, editing the forum, thread by thread, to get rid of the 'junk' as you put it, is a job that is certainly beyond my knowledge and abilities, even if I wanted to take it on and was an administrator (JohnM is the only person who can delete a post.) I doubt that you'd find anyone who was both qualified to do the job and willing take it on.

The person who wrote a post is often the only person who knows what he meant. :lol: What I'm getting at is that maybe the 'junk' will be reduced as each forum member becomes more thoughtful about what he writes and where he posts it in the forum.

If I understand you correctly, you have begun posting your new DotPups as New Topics in the Additional Software section of the forum, instead of adding them to the long thread of DotPups. That's a good idea. I can't think of anything you could do that would do more to reduce the severity of the problem you are complaining about, so by all means keep doing it.

klhrevolutionist

nail and hammer

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

yes you got it, I'm glad you agree and sad we will have to go through with it,
but as a reminder maybe we could start like 4 quarter clean-up every quarter of the year that would be helpful. Or maybe it is just me thinking of this. I do appreciate you editing the headlines as sometimes people like myself can't think of what to put.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

#4 Post by Guest »

My only gripe is ppl asking questions in the howto section.......what part of solutions don't they get ?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Ah BladeH

Ian kindly created this page with the gripers in mind . . .
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/VentSpleen

PS. I am too scared to even go there . . . :twisted:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Erik Veenstra

#6 Post by Erik Veenstra »

> Some of the forum members are wanting python and ruby,
> bladehunter has kindly offered to host python, so Ruby will
> need a host If bladehunter wants to that would be great! But
> I don't want to keep bugging him/her.

Building and packing Ruby for Puppy-Linux will be my next
little project... Unless somebody else stands up and speaks...
(No promises, but I already installed Vector Linux in QEMU.)

For now, I use AllInOneRuby [1] to generate an, well, uh,
all-in-one-ruby executable on Ubuntu 5.04. This executable
works beautifully on Puppy-Linux.

> PYTHON weighs 46MB and RUBY weighs 2.8MB

The AllInOneRuby-ruby weighs just 3,004,166 bytes...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

[1] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/allinoneruby/index.html

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Erik can you tell us a little about your experiences with these two languages?

:)

I hear that Ruby is a development of Python but is it an improvement? And would the difference in size be due mainly to the lack of drivers for Ruby?

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Erik Veenstra

#8 Post by Erik Veenstra »

> Erik can you tell us a little about your experiences with
> these two languages?

I don't know anything about Python. But I read Ruby, write
Ruby, think Ruby, dream Ruby and, last but not least, love
Ruby... Ruby is my little girl...

Since there's a lot of information about Ruby out there on the
'Net, I won't replicate any of it. You wouldn't understand my
love for Ruby, anyway. Unless you try it, use it and love it
yourself...

> I hear that Ruby is a development of Python but is it an
> improvement?

Ruby has no relation with Python, nor is it an improvement of
anything else. Ruby is just, uh, Ruby!

> And would the difference in size be due mainly to the lack of
> drivers for Ruby?

I don't get this one. What do you mean with "drivers" in a
programming language?

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

sorry Erik - meant libraries . . .

thanks for all the info on Ruby . . .

gonna try compiling on Ubuntu which is what I think I will have to do to run the .rb file . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Ian »

I myself prefer Ruby over Python and Fox for a TK.

In relation to the forum, yes it does need a cleanup and Flash is doing his best to make it as tidy and understandable as he possibly can.

We started condensing the solved posts down while trying to maintain the subject matter, maybe we could still do this and leave the edited posts in the main forum or convert them to Q&As and remove them altogether.

The HowTo section might need to have more added to it's header explaining that these are solutions not a section for querys, we discussed this when we set up this section and it did slow down the amount of querys being posted but it now seems that it might require
(These are solutions, do not post querys here as they will/could be ignored) or something similar added.

It might sound a bit brutal but it would define exactly what the HowTo section is for.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

JohnM asked us moderators when we move a post to leave a copy in its original location, but perhaps he would make an exception for posts asking for help in the How-To section. :?

(This of course assumes that the purpose of the How-To section is clearly marked. Maybe we could visit other forums to see how their sections are marked.)

Finally, I would like to point out that many How-Tos generate questions.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Ian »

Flash, yes the HowTos do generate queries and what we need is a method to limit these queries to the HowTo subjects and cut down on the number of new posts that are better placed in the other sections of the forum.

Would we do better to have the message state this, something like:

If you have a question regarding any of these HowTos add it to the existing post, any non HowTo questions should be posted in the relative section.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

How about something like a EULA, only, instead of an "accept" button, a multiple-choice question that the prospective poster has to correctly answer, to prove that he read the damn thing, before he can post? :twisted:

#14 Post by Guest »

Actually if people stopped assuming they are the only ones who have a particular problem,ie they think they are unique, alot of the posts would be cut down.....

Laziness perhaps ?

Just because you are new to linux doesn't mean you have had your powers of deduction removed

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Perhaps ignorance and laziness, but also frustration with the limitations of forums. That's why I started the sticky index in the Beginners section, and why I edit the subject line of posts to better reflect their contents.

Bancobusto

#16 Post by Bancobusto »

This is just my suggestion....
Change the title of how-to to (sounds funny, yes, to-to) - Tutorials.
Yes, there are a lot of questions generated by how-to's, but at least it would get the point accross that it's the space to explain HOW to do something, not to figure out how to do something.
:)

raffy

Positive development

#17 Post by raffy »

Re Flash's comment: Getting the posts organized that way is surely a positive development.

Next is keeping some sort of a tutorial for specific concerns, updated for new developments. I've tried that with hard disk install, i just dont know if it was able to reduce hard-disk related queries. Adding a forum history to a section like this might also allow pruning of the related posts in the forum. Bancobusto, i just thought plain html is speedier so i did the pages largely in plain html (no CMS, just a little visitor-review script).

Am maintaining those hard-disk install pages and would add grub install for DOS soon. Note that there is no copyright to the pages - reproduce it wherever you fancy. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Hmm, now that you mention it Bancobusto, 'Tutorial' definitely seems less ambiguous than 'How-To.' Especially for for those whose native language is not English - like us Americans. :lol: And, changing the name wouldn't require doing anything else, like moving posts and such, as far as I can see.

Raffy, I'm not clear on what you mean by adding a forum history, but it sounds interesting. Do you mean adding this history to the off-site webpage?

I would say that if it isn't too long or involved, the tutorial should be kept entirely in the forum, for reliability and easy access. Somebody in another thread linked to an off-site webpage which wasn't working when I tried it - made his post pretty much a waste of time for everyone.

Since JohnM has set up the forum so that the originator of a post can edit it, updating a tutorial is possible.

raffy

History

#19 Post by raffy »

History - some form of acknowledgment and summary, appended to a tutorial.

A tutorial with a number of images will still depend on an off-site web host for sourcing the images. But yes, i will try to put the short version in this site.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].