Free Public WiFi -- can't connect with 6.3.0

Using applications, configuring, problems
boof

Free Public WiFi -- can't connect with 6.3.0

#1 Post by boof »

Broadcom BCM4313 wifi card, brsmcmac driver Cannot establish connection with ANY of the 3 connection utilities at local library nor Maccas. in perth WA. Initial Connection is open EES type,initially, then becomes wpa2-psk xxx. suspect wifi driver not wpa2-psk compatible, but not sure. connection at library requires uname and pw from library (D card. B43 driver does not work.

I grow tired of this buying stuff that doesn't work because only part of the software is available, and I seem to always want the other part. I will prob. have to replace it AGAIN, just to get something that works. It's getting to be too much suck it and see heartbreak and resulting poverty, as I don't know of a hardware driver listing which reports what features the present software supports. Even if I did, I would soon forget. I know the device supports what I want. I do not know how old it is, it's been on my shelf a year or so, but is a recent install in the last few weeks. No I cannot get an XP driver for it, they are ALL hidden behind expensive driver update utilites which linux can't run. I can't find a pick and choose my own windows drivers site. It's all automated and frustrates invention & creativity. Love of money stiffles too much good development. Any advice on running Win7 under puppy-6.3.0 is appreciated, especially if the windows can access the web for updates etc. Pls advise name of program and what extra files I need, as VMware is no longer listed.

boof

#2 Post by boof »

I'm trying to build new driver downloaded from the broadcom website. I've put the 3 files into /lib/modules/3.14.55/build because that's where make seems to want them. They were extracted into Downloads as Makefile and lib/wlc_hybrid.0_shipped and license.txtThey are being made from their own folder.

I don't understand screenshot 2 from the make command.--what is wrong pls?
Attachments
Screenshot(2).png
(64.75 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go here for a ready-made driver.

boof

#4 Post by boof »

Finally--wpa2-psk working. THX V Much. Now to see if I can get public wifi at maccas, when it stops raining.

boof

#5 Post by boof »

Nope. demands a pwd. can't log in. Also, system doesn't seem to like externally set up pwds on such systems. I know it's possible to adjust the code to sort it, but I'm incapable of it. Need a less secure login tool, which might also get me into my local library, where I can download free large files. No I can't use a usb stick because the library computers are W10, and it contaminates the sticks with secure boot stuff so puppy can't read them. cable connected Sub networks are not allowed, so I can't transfer files between w10 and puppypc. I have to wifi them, and without a working login, I'm stuffed. In desperation, I'll try to get a w10 download of Mint/similar, and use that to try and get my downloads as a live cd. . .

boof

#6 Post by boof »

I APPOLOGISE!!! Apparently, after reading on the Linux Mint forum, the BCM4313 cards are a PITA for linux, so I'll dump it and use something else. A lot of brainpower has been wasted trying to get them working well, partic into public wifi, for no good result.

Some people are just too smart for their own good. Their product is technically perfect, but has limited use outside it's design parameters, which are a small subset of the real world.

boof

#7 Post by boof »

Now have rlt 8191s card--still no joy. cant get connected at local library either--no wifi service showing at all, but works at home.

BTW thks for all the work on ufei compatability==it solved some problems.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because the library wants a username/password, it sounds like a PEAP network. PeasyWiFi can set this up.