Gxine Video Playback Troubles

Using applications, configuring, problems
VinceIP

Gxine Video Playback Troubles

#1 Post by VinceIP »

I've been using gxine 0.5.9 to play my videos in. So far, every .mpg video I've played has run flawlessly. However, in other formats such as .avi, the video is more jumpy and very distored. I tried playing Advent children, and half of the image was covered in a vertical pink bar. The other half was positioned wrong. As for .wmv, they won't play at all.

I should also note that flash videos on sites such as Youtube and Google Video are very jumpy and sometimes a bit fuzzy.

Can I fix this somehow, or do I just need a new video card? These problems occured in Windows XP, but much more severe, so much to the point where I couldn't watch videos at all.

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Remember, Puppy is still very much an experiment, but let's see what we can do.

First make sure your card has its acceleration functions turned on. To do this, use Puppy contributor Mark Ulrich's 3D-Control-Center. It's downloadable at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13114

To get it, save-target-as and download it to /root, then click Menu-File Manager-RoxFiler and click on the control center dotpup's dogbone icon. Let it auto-unpack. Click the resulting 3DCC icon (and, incidentally, drag the icon to the desktop so it's handy later) and follow the installation steps in sequence from there. It should be self-explanatory but if you have problems making it work, let us know. The Control Center has a test program, which is AntInspect. You should see 30 or more frames per second in AntInspect when your video adapter's acceleration is turned on. Then, you might need a codec package. Download this one:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/MP ... pack02.pup

and as above click on it to unpack it. Then let us know how video playback is faring. If there is still a problem, let us know what the lines look like in /etc/X11/xorg.conf which identify your display adapter.