pgprs-2.0.4-beta

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
LazY Puppy

#21 Post by LazY Puppy »

Downloaded and installed.

Still no GUI to enter my APN and stuff when clicking the GPRS button in internet connection wizard !!!

Modem not recognized in frisbee (the original one in tahr 6.0.2 - don't have a newer one).

PupDial recognized the modem but couldn't connect to the web.

PDiag file attached.

Though, this time when installing my private pgprs package on top of your pgprs package, I could connect to the web (this wasn't possible in earlier versions, needed to reboot then).
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#22 Post by LazY Puppy »

Thanks to zigbert's post I had attention to these attached packages:

- connect_updates-20160321.pet
- frisbee-1.3.5-20160410-beta.pet

So I made a fresh reboot and installed the above packages and pgprs-1.5.2-20160410-beta.pet as the last one.

Got a gui to enter APN and stuff (made a mistake then) so, after a 2nd try I'm now online by GPRS connection. Didn't try to connect with frisbee - don't want to, since the usual GPRS seems to work now for my modem.

I have removed the above attached pdiag file.

Cool !!!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rerwin

#23 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy,
Thank you for trying my pgprs one more time! I am ecstatic that you are able the get it working.

Thanks for your persistence.

LazY Puppy

#24 Post by LazY Puppy »

rerwin wrote:LazY Puppy,
Thank you for trying my pgprs one more time! I am ecstatic that you are able the get it working.

Thanks for your persistence.
I'd recently finished my work on T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.1, so I just got some time to give it a try again.

Good that it is working now. Hopefully it will find its way back into the next Puppy Systems to come! :idea:
RSH

rerwin

#25 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy,
My plan is to learn how to prepare the packages for inclusion in the woof-CE system. Thanks to your helpful testing of pgprs, I am almost ready to rename it as "2.0", as a candidate for woof-CE. I want to be able to do that, too, with Frisbee, but need someone to verify that the GPRS part of it actually works.

Since it uses logic similar to that in pgprs-2.0, it should work. You are the only person in this thread, so far, that has the capability to utilize Frisbee's GPRS. Please consider trying it. You might find it interesting, particularly if you run parts of it and Pgprs. The two should protect themselves from interfering with each other, by preventing certain combinations of activities.

You can start a connection with either, then close the "connection" window and then get back to the connection by using the other tool. For example, start a connection with Frisbee but then monitor it from "Pgprs Connect", in the menu. Although Pgprs-setup and Frisbee cannot be active at the same time, Frisbee can be active while a Pgprs connection is displayed (but not Pgprs-setup while a Frisbee GPRS connection is displayed).

Anyway, the main thing is to verify that you can connect using Frisbee as well as you can with Pgprs. That will get us closer to final release of both, reducing the chances of needing a bugfix release.
Richard

Aung

Trying pgprs in fatdog

#26 Post by Aung »

Trying pgprs in fatdog
From the menu button, no interface shows up, straight to this message.

Attempting connection through /dev/ttyUSB2 to APN cellcard...

Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: No such file or directory
Exit status is 4
DISCONNECTED

From command line

# pgprs
/usr/local/pgprs/pgprs-connect: line 24: /usr/sbin/networkdisconnect: No such file or directory

copied 'networkdisconnect' from micko slacko, almost but no connection, stonkered

Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB2
kernel does not support PPP filtering
local IP address 10.161.20.184
remote IP address 10.0.0.1
primary DNS address 203.144.66.3
secondary DNS address 203.144.65.2

This is what micko slacko looks like, is the problem in the (CHAP) bit.

--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Apr 15 20:32:56 2016
--> Pid of pppd: 9587
--> Using interface ppp0
--> Authentication (CHAP) started
--> Authentication (CHAP) successful
--> local IP address 10.161.87.46
--> remote IP address 10.64.64.64
--> primary DNS address 203.144.66.3
--> secondary DNS address 203.144.65.2

LazY Puppy

#27 Post by LazY Puppy »

Anyway, the main thing is to verify that you can connect using Frisbee as well as you can with Pgprs. That will get us closer to final release of both, reducing the chances of needing a bugfix release.
I'm sorry to say:

- trying to connect to the web using frisbee was NOT SUCCESSFUL !!!

I tried multiple different things to be setup in frisbee, but none of them worked.

Got four different values of exit status: 0, 1, 4, and 8.

Unfortunately I'd overseen to store the pdiag file to external drive, so it was lost at reboot. I will give this just and only one more try, to send to you the pdiag file - apart from this: I'm really getting tired to try frisbee to connect to the web.

The WoofCE team should be ashamed as much as possible, to remove a working pgprs connection tool without to have a fully working replacement. WoofCE had made so nice and many improvements and progress in other parts, but this pgprs/frisbee PROBLEM really has left the path of Linux.

As I do understand Linux it's about WORKING - no matter what the GUI looks alike or if there is even a GUI. The removal of pgprs without a fully working replacement is the COMPLETE REVERSAL of this philosophy.

Really this sucks!

Rerwin, I appreciate you efforts on this, but I'm getting too tired on this to continue on this pgprs/frisbee PROBLEM in any matter.

The WoofCE Guys should really make a turnaround on this PROBLEM.

Give the original pgprs package back to the users of gprs modems - they are NOT LESS as some may have noticed lately in the forum about issues trying to connect by gprs modems!

Also: I think it's kinda shizo stuff to declare gprs modems as OLD by the use of an operating system designed to use/run OLD hardware! :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least Puppy Linux should define a border or time line backwards of supporting types of computers. By the current state to run on 256/512 MB machines, Puppy Linux is SUPPORTING THE WASTE of electric power and therefor SUPPORTING THE WASTE of getting rare resources to produce such electric power!

This way the OS could get a bit bigger in size without to remove files in KB size to keep the Puppy small !!! :lol:
RSH

Sailor Enceladus

#28 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

LazY Puppy wrote:The WoofCE team should be ashamed as much as possible, to remove a working pgprs connection tool without to have a fully working replacement. WoofCE had made so nice and many improvements and progress in other parts, but this pgprs/frisbee PROBLEM really has left the path of Linux.

As I do understand Linux it's about WORKING - no matter what the GUI looks alike or if there is even a GUI. The removal of pgprs without a fully working replacement is the COMPLETE REVERSAL of this philosophy.
There's something called "pgprs2" in Slacko 6.3.0.6. Hooray for Woof-CE? :lol:

LazY Puppy

#29 Post by LazY Puppy »

There's something called "pgprs2" in Slacko 6.3.0.6. Hooray for Woof-CE?
Really ???

Ok, hooray for Woof-CE - if you are right... (and if it works) :wink:
RSH

rerwin

#30 Post by rerwin »

I have now uploaded a release candidate version of pgprs that corrects problems left in the 20160410 version, along with a final (minor cleanup) version of connect_updates.

Thanks to Aung's report of his experience with fatdog, I added and corrected logic so that it should work OOB, except for the "kernel does not support PPP filtering" issue. I understand that this indicates that PPP filtering was not configured into the kernel build, so probably requires attention by the fatdog developer. The "RC" gets as far as I can go, in that the connection window shows an ERROR with the "IP" line in the chat script (because I can test with only an analog modem, which probably does not recognize the cgdcont command).
EDIT: Aung, I re-uploaded the RC after download number 1, to add automatic creation of the /dev/ppp device (in case you downloaded it). Applies only to fatdog, AFAIK.

LazY Puppy,
Thanks for trying frisbee's GPRS. Too bad that it did not work. I have made further fixes to it, but cannot know whether I fixed the problems you encountered. I would need a pdiag, to work the problem. I sympathize with your being tired of testing this stuff. I am getting tired of it, too. But I want to "get it right".

Regarding the Woof-CE decision to abandon the original pgprs, it was incompatible with their architecture that removed the "all-firmware" system of dynamic installation (at least for tahr). With pgprs-2.0, I am attempting to restore PGPRS to the mainstream puppies, for Woof-CE to adopt. That is why your help in testing it was vital. Thank you, again, for doing that.
Richard

Aung

#31 Post by Aung »

A little late, just checked in again to this thread.
In Fatdog I see it wanted to use wlan) so I killed it in 'manage services ect'

Selected interface 'wlan0'
OK

defining PDP context...

ERROR
Connect script failed
Exit status is 8
DISCONNECTED

But still same error message

defining PDP context...

ERROR
Connect script failed
Exit status is 8
DISCONNECTED

On micko slacko, which works for 3G modems, using it now. A bit more detail.
( I'm a bit disappointed that it needs PPP and what ever else, I was hoping it was a stand alone program which these modems need. I have a telstra and a virgin modem that have linux on them but when I tried to compile them I get the 'install: missing file operand ' message. End of experiment. Old sage is right, they really are made for the DEVIL.)

defining PDP context...

ERROR
Script chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat finished (pid 17491), status = 0x9
Connect script failed
Exit status is 8
DISCONNECTED

From micko in terminal
# pgprs
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

Brings up the interface, click connect, same error repeated.

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

Fatdog from terminal, shows nothing.

LazY Puppy

#32 Post by LazY Puppy »

Pdiag file sent by PM.
RSH

amn87

#33 Post by amn87 »

I was finally able to get internet working in Slacko 6.3 using my Nokia for USB Tethering after installing PGPRS2. Thanks a lot @rerwin

rerwin

pgprs-2.0 uploaded

#34 Post by rerwin »

The new pgprs seems to work well on standard puppies, but not on fatdog64 nor the debiandogs. In fatdog64, the PPP connection fails immediately, for reasons beyond what I can determine at this time. More work is needed to adapt pgprs for fatdog and the debiandogs. But I don;t want to delay release any further.

I am grateful to LazY Puppy for his persistence in testing this pgprs until I got it working, and now, too, the frisbee implementation based on pgprs.

amn87, Thanks for the praise. But it should go to 01micko, who developed "pgprs2". Mine is now designated as "pgprs-2.0. We started with the same original pgprs, but implemented our new versions in different ways.

Thank you, all who have been using the betas.
Richard

rerwin

Pgprs fatdog64 fix

#35 Post by rerwin »

To fix a noticeable problem in fatdog64, I have re-uploaded pgprs-2.0 after download number 1, with a minor change. I activated the "debug" option on line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable.

Be aware, though, that installing the package does not replace an existing copy of that file. That is to preserve any changes already made to it. So, either edit the file yourself and ignore the replacement package, or remove that file before installing the replacement.

This is needed only in fatdog64, which does not have the usual 'options' file that contains the 'debug' line. This fix probably removes the dependency on the 'options' file.

Aung, This should help to get more information on your problem, but won't solve it. But it will help us work on it.

LazY Puppy

#36 Post by LazY Puppy »

To fix a noticeable problem in fatdog64, I have re-uploaded pgprs-2.0 after download number 1, with a minor change. I activated the "debug" option on line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable.
So, this would need one more testing for non-fatdog users?
RSH

Aung

#37 Post by Aung »

rerwin,
Fatdog without savefile dont have 'line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable' so I just loaded the pets. Starting from terminal brings up the interface but not else.

defining PDP context...
ERROR
Script chat -v -T *99# -f /etc/ppp/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat finished (pid 1687), status = 0x9
Connect script failed
Exit status is 8
DISCONNECTED

"This is needed only in fatdog64, which does not have the usual 'options' file that contains the 'debug' line. This fix probably removes the dependency on the 'options' file."

Does this mean etc/wvdial-options, FD has this with APN virginbroadband in it. It only has -chap in it.
If you want to give up on FD thats ok, as long as I can go online with micko slacko.

watchdog

#38 Post by watchdog »

I have forced to retirement my internet usb dongles. I now use the internal modem of a 3G android tablet: I have success to connect with both pupdial and pgprs-2.0 using puppy xenial 7.0.1. Thanks rerwin.

rerwin

#39 Post by rerwin »

watchdog,
Thanks for reporting your success with pgprs-2.0 on Xenial Pup.

LazY Puppy,
The re-upload does not need testing. It merely duplicates the 'debug' option selection already stated in another file that is also used as input -- just not in fatdog64. So, nothing has changed.

Aung,
Turning on debug logging added only the line:

Code: Select all

Script chat -v -T *99# -f /etc/ppp/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat finished (pid 1687), status = 0x9 
The 0x9 just reflects that chat stopped because the ERROR abort trap occurred. I thought it might add the list of AT commands and responses. So, the chat seems to die even before an AT command starts!

While trying to work on this problem in fatdog64, I discovered that the setup window produces between 2 and 4 instances of the message: "broken pipe" on "line 12". I made changes to line 12 and another similar line of the dialog definition, but the number of messages changed seemingly randomly each time. Very strange!

I am afraid I will have to admit defeat with fatdog unless its developer can help out. But if fatdog already has a GPRS tool (which appears to be the case), there is no need to add a competing tool. If you can send me the file, /var/log/messages, I could check that for clues; but I don't expect that anything will "pop out".

Thanks for your help in identifying this problem.

Afterthought: Does the device dropdown list give you any other device possibilities? The usual device is /dev/ttyUSB0. Did you try any other devices?

More: My test PC also shows the "Selected interface 'wlan0' " line, as I have a wifi card but no available networks (out here in the country). But that seems to occur only on the first use in a no-savefile situation. The next connect attempt shows the AT commands before the ERROR (because I am using an analog modem, which doesn't understand the APN business). Do subsequent connect attempts get any further? Maybe there is a "timing" issue somewhere.

Aung

#40 Post by Aung »

Just checked in again. New pgprs, 2.0 bare fd702 no savefile.
Can confirm wlan 0 on first use only. Starting from terminal takes about 20 secs. to load. Nothing shows up in terminal. Drop down box only has ttyusb2, /dev has ttyusb0, 1 and 2, press refresh and pgprs freezes. The first 2 lines about 'dhcpcd', I dont know if they appeared before or after I loaded the pets.
Just curious, Why is there nothing showing up in the terminal

May 25 04:21:30 fatdog64-249 daemon.err dhcpcd[614]: timed out
May 25 04:21:30 fatdog64-249 daemon.info dhcpcd[614]: exited
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 user.notice logger: pgprs: Starting PPP daemon for /dev/ttyUSB2
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 daemon.notice pppd[2214]: pppd 2.4.7 started by root, uid 0
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 kern.info kernel: PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: timeout set to 10 seconds
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: abort on (\nBUSY\r)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: abort on (\nNO ANSWER\r)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: abort on (\nNO CARRIER\r)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: abort on (\nNO DIALTONE\r)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: abort on (\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: abort on (\nERROR\r)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: send (^MAT^M)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: timeout set to 12 seconds
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: expect (OK)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: ^M^M
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: ERROR^M
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: -- failed
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 local2.info chat[2219]: Failed ( ERROR^M)
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 daemon.debug pppd[2214]: Script chat -v -T *99# -f /etc/ppp/chatscripts/gprs-connect-chat finished (pid 2219), status = 0x9
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 daemon.err pppd[2214]: Connect script failed
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 daemon.info pppd[2214]: Exit.
May 25 04:25:17 fatdog64-249 user.notice logger: pgprs: pppd exit status for /dev/ttyUSB2 is 8