Evernote under Wine

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
mikeslr

Evernote under Wine

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

While exploring what apps might be useful on an android tablet, I discovered Evernote; then wondered if a version might run under Puppy Linux. A wellminded search revealed alternatives --see for example, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101967-- but not Evernote, itself.

As I'm not adverse to running XP programs under Wine, I discovered that some versions of Evernote under some versions of Wine had received Gold ratings. So I looked for a recipe and found one here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/6 ... -on-linux/

I run shinobar's portable-wine 1.6.2 with wine configured as XP, so I chose NOT to set to Windows 7 in winecfg. Except for using winetricks to install gdiplus, none of the other wine settings were successful. No matter, Evernote version 5.6.4.4632 found here http://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/76001 seems to be fully functional.

One note of caution: Evernote's default settings is to sync contents between devices every 30 minutes. That's great. Unless, of course, it eats into your dataplan, or you don't want Evernote always running in the background to do so.

You can turn sync off from evernote's menu: Tools>options>sync. While you're in that vicinity, you might also want to turn off tools>options>general Advertisements and check for updates.

Edit: After a reboot, Evernote would not open. Running the setup program again and Saving [to SaveFile] seems to have solved that problem. I'm not sure why. Saving shouldn't have any effect on the independent portable-wine and Evernote did not create any files within "Puppy Space", itself. When run the 2nd time, Evernote's "setup" program does not re-install the program: merely opens the program you've already installed to your Wine data folder.

After re-opening Evernote, I reconfigured sync to automatic. So turning it off may have contributed to the problem.

After reconfiguring sync, my hard-drive seems to be constantly busy. So I've again turned off "syn". It seems better to run the setup program again --when and if I want Evernote.

:idea: It's taken me too much time to realize this: I run Puppies with a SaveFile (with automatic Save Removed) but making use of Program Folders and wine-portable. Both those structures make use of applications decompressed (the latter only with respect to the installed XP programs) to the hard-drive. While Puppies, themselves, will only read-from and write to the hard-drive when necessary, "necessary" translates to often when Program Folders and XP programs under portable-wine are in use. And, with a program such as Evernote --which appears to be "terminate and stay-resident" in order to carry out periodic syncing-- often translates to "continuous".

Evernote will complain about not being able to create a taskbar icon. But that doesn't seem to otherwise affect its running.

mikesLr