A report on technology position in Life today.

News, happenings
gcmartin

A report on technology position in Life today.

#1 Post by gcmartin »

STOP! Before reading this, it starts out as having absolutely nothing to do with technology. But read on as you will see how it does. It gets us to think about our technology behavior relative to others.

Proceed if you feel there might be some benefit in this understanding.

Several years ago, I read a report on Marriage and Divorce rates written-presented by a group of psychologist.

In it, as they combed thru court records from over 50 decades, the notion of "Irreconcilable Differences" has become the chief reason sited. But as they peered closer into what those differences are, they noticed that the reasons within this had begun to shift as technology changes occurred over the decades. And they presented; that technology and its use may in fact be a unit that has crept into a causeway as the marital relationship shifts to conclude in divorce. They were careful to NOT assert that taking technology away from marital partners would change the outcome, but did note that records show how any/each partner were consumed beyond work to spend time away from their partner in endeavors which involve other interests beyond the relationship; and some/many of those interest involved mastering/using some technology in the same ways that addicts consumes things. In the reports they share some of the common elements such as enormous time spent on exercise and its equipment, garage projects that consume, gambling rob you blind, gaming, and other items for which there have been much technology focuses.

I cannot find my copy of that report. If I could, I would post it. BUT ...

Today, I saw this report. "An IoT use report." It is suggesting what the public shares about things with indirect insights to technology importance.

You can perceive the relationship between this report and the report of the psychologists of past. And this report brings other understandings to our perceptions that might not have been thought of before. In my case, I am looking, both, inward at myself and outward of the many others around as I listen to what they have been asking/saying over the past few decades.

This thread is NOT to be used as one which invites bickering. Instead, YOU (you know who you are) should use this as a way to peer into how technology is used by those around and how things may need addressing so that we have better understandings about the impact it brings. With understanding, we have the ability to move forward.

So share anything you feel would be useful understanding.

greengeek

Re: A report on technology position in Life today.

#2 Post by greengeek »

gcmartin wrote:.. technology and its use may in fact be a unit that has crept into a causeway as the marital relationship shifts to conclude in divorce. They .... did note that records show how any/each partner were consumed beyond work to spend time away from their partner in endeavors which involve other interests beyond the relationship; and some/many of those interest involved mastering/using some technology in the same ways that addicts consumes things
I think there is a lot of truth in that. Centuries ago there was much less to distract people. A man and wife spent most of their day struggling for survival in a world pretty much devoid of distractionary technology.

These days our struggle for survival is generally much less time consuming (except for the eternal struggle to add more possessions every day...) and I think it is quite difficult to find a partner who shares the same recreational interests - the end result of which is that couples spend less time on shared interests and more time occupying different "head spaces". Living different lives in the same house.

Overall, technology vastly increases the choices of what we can do with our discretionary time, and therefore acts as a wedge in relationships.

Pete

#3 Post by Pete »

Technology is like anything else, no problem in moderation.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Pete wrote:Technology is like anything else, no problem in moderation.
Moderation can be so annoying. :-)
Especially when it comes to computers - my one true love.
Ooops, i mean one of my true loves. Musn't forget the missus...

Pete

#5 Post by Pete »

:lol:

Just hope the missus does not know about this forum or else it's the dog box for you.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

One technology I find very useful is spell-check.

Pete

#7 Post by Pete »

Flash wrote:One technology I find very useful is spell-check.
Hope you are using the one with the correct dictionary that has colour instead of color and neighbour instead of neighbor. :lol:

bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Pete wrote:
Flash wrote:One technology I find very useful is spell-check.
Hope you are using the one with the correct dictionary that has colour instead of color and neighbour instead of neighbor. :lol:
That would be the wrong dictionary.

Pete

#9 Post by Pete »

bark_bark_bark wrote: That would be the wrong dictionary.
:lol:

solo

#10 Post by solo »

I'll wager you that many a relationship survives only by the grace of being able to 'escape' to the toolshed or garage.

Galbi

#11 Post by Galbi »

solo wrote:I'll wager you that many a relationship survives only by the grace of being able to 'escape' to the toolshed or garage.
"Everybody needs a little time away," I heard her say, "from each other."
"Even lovers need a holiday far away from each other."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKoBCOjA3Q
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Pete

#12 Post by Pete »

Galbi wrote: "Everybody needs a little time away," I heard her say, "from each other."
"Even lovers need a holiday far away from each other."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKoBCOjA3Q
:)

Pete

#13 Post by Pete »

solo wrote:I'll wager you that many a relationship survives only by the grace of being able to 'escape' to the toolshed or garage.
:D
Attachments
happy3.jpg
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

gcmartin

Controlling Data: YOUR data, data on home devices on our LAN

#14 Post by gcmartin »

Data and data technologies have been with us forever. With the rise of more and more home components creating data and have wired/wifi connections to our LANs and the internet, the understanding of its management has streaked by most of us, never knowing it and the implications surrounding this.

While watching TV last eve, I saw a commercial on the 1st of a new era of computing take the stage: It appears as a team dressed like Star-trekies who are at the birth of a new technology. Most viewers probably did not understand the commercial, but those of us with a technology background most certainly did.

I have been a proponent of finding ways to manage your homes data, individually (as some have seen from me in the past on this forum). Well, HPE (the new HP computing corp) seems to be taking this center stage. And, it is open-source.

Instead of the commercial, here is their announcement.

In another PDF I found, seems the Linux changes have already been folded in for this new technology.

learnhow2code

#15 Post by learnhow2code »

Last edited by learnhow2code on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

learnhow2code

#16 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete

#17 Post by Pete »

@gcmartin

Interesting project, "the machine".
Over the years I've seen programs and read articles on how "optical" computing is the future.

It certainly makes sense and looks like HP is taking it seriously.

Only questions are, how much and when?

I suspect it will probably be at least a decade away before it's affordable and common place.

Until then, nothing wrong with a RAID system using say half a dozen 6GB/s drives.
Granted, not cheap but certainly cheaper.