what i disliked most about puppy:a sort of love letter to bk

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
learnhow2code

what i disliked most about puppy:a sort of love letter to bk

#1 Post by learnhow2code »

i spent many years trying to get from windows (and dos) to gnu/linux. im a debian guy these days, but these distros made the difference:

* puppy
* dsl
* xubuntu

i had tried many others, but these are the ones i actually made the necessary progress with. i was a huge fan of puppy once. i sort of fell out of love with it.

this isnt going to be really negative towards anyone here. at the time, i think the community drove puppy every which way.

yes, it is sort of built for that. so its not a protest.

at the time i liked it, but for that reason i started to hate it. and i couldnt help it-- i ultimately blamed barry. because it was his responsibility!

nah, in the end it got to be too much and he decided to use the problem as the solution: make the community take responsibility.

i think this was a good move. more than that, i think he must have felt some of the same frustration i did.

not to say that barry abandoned anything, or didnt love it a lot.

just that it got to a point where it wasnt fair to hold him responsible anymore.

its clear that he made the right decision for him, and probably for puppy. and to be fair, it looks like the community is a fairly reasonable steward-- i mean i dont think its gone into a terrible spiral since becoming a ce thing.

so cheers all around. i wish i could say debian has transitioned through eras so unscathed. you guys are doing it all on your own! well, somebody should.

best of luck to another 10 years of puppy. technically, you guys* can do it.

* its the 21st century, but this term could always be read as unisex if you want to.