pgprs-2.0.4-beta

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

Uploaded pgprs-2.0.1 uploaded

#41 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded versions of pgprs and connect_updates that match what I submitted for inclusion in the woof-CE world, so that they can be included in builds of new puppies.

Most of the changes are to the installation process, with 2 minor noticeable differences. The icon in the menu and the upper left corner of each window now matches the icon in the Connect Wizard. The other change is that the Connect Wizard does not now recognize the original version of pgprs, which 2.0.1 replaces.

A lesson learned from my stepping up to woof-CE: In packages containing soft links, the target of those links will be uploaded to woof-CE instead of the link itself. Those links should be set in a pinstall.sh script at installation time. To have those links represented in the installed-files list (*.files), a dummy file of the same name could be included in the package, to be overwritten by the pinstall script.

UPDATE: After download number 4 of pgprs, I re-uploaded it with a change that affects only the woof-build environment. A second "lesson learned" is that pinstall scripts in submitted packages cannot contain the command, "exit", because it disrupts the build process.

I expect this to be the final version of pgprs, unless someone reports a problem. I think it's done!

rerwin

#42 Post by rerwin »

A new version is uploaded to the first message:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 858#883858

It is compatible with both the connect_update and network_connect_update packages, and is required for the latter.

rerwin

#43 Post by rerwin »

A new version is uploaded to the first message:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 858#883858

Pgprs-2.03 was submitted to woofCE in July of 2018, but inadvertently did not get added to this thread at that time.

It simplifies the detection of modems by avoiding the use of the modem-stats tool.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

WoofQ has version 2.0.2.

/usr/sbin has 'pgprs', and 'pgprs-connect' and 'pgprs-shell' symlinks to it. I see that the 2.0.3 PET doesn't have those symlinks. is that OK?

WoofQ doesn't have /usr/share/applications/pgprs-connect.desktop
I don't recall how it was invoked in that case.

EasyOS and EasyPup use NetworkManager by default, but are still supposed to be able to fallback to sns, pgprs, etc.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rerwin

#45 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, Barry, for your posting.

I am re-examining pgprs after several years of assuming it worked, but now am aware of some problems with it.

My difficulty with testing it is that I do not have a 3G modem that works in linux, and I do not have a data option for my minimalist cell phone account. So, I depend on others to work with me to resolve the problems.

The symlinks are for backward compatibility with your connectwizard, which interfaces with the pre-2.0 versions of pgprs. But I am not sure that actually works.

My intent, I think, was to have pgprs invoked from both connectwizard and a menu entry, because people were accustomed to the menu entry. It could be added to Easy to use the new interface, as a backup to the connectwizard option.

Maybe you should wait until I work out an issue with pgprs, where the connect log is not displayed as intended, at least when the connection fails due to an error. I am surprised that with so many downloads of pgprs, I am only now made aware of a problem. Maybe that means that it usually connects.

My intent with 2.0 was to mimic pupdial's option to quit the connection window but let the connection continue. I am not sure I completed that change. I need more feedback from users.

enrique

#46 Post by enrique »

I know if I go to wiki I see all kind of info.

But to my knowledge pgprs was used in type 1G ( G ) Network. Just after Edge network. I now wiki will tell you good to 2.5 and even 3G. Now Ignoring what is right or wrong.

Do we have user TODAY using pgprs?

Here in America even 3G is phasing out and soon not even old 3G phones will work.

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

rerwin wrote:My difficulty with testing it is that I do not have a 3G modem that works in linux, and I do not have a data option for my minimalist cell phone account.
Neither do I. But it's my understanding that you can do this just with wvdial.

1. Run: wvdialconf
2. Edit /etc/wvdial and enter your connection data.
3. Run: wvdial
So, I depend on others to work with me to resolve the problems.
Too bad that community members won't stay around long enough to resolve this.

rerwin

#48 Post by rerwin »

BarryK wrote:WoofQ has version 2.0.2.

/usr/sbin has 'pgprs', and 'pgprs-connect' and 'pgprs-shell' symlinks to it. I see that the 2.0.3 PET doesn't have those symlinks. is that OK?

EasyOS and EasyPup use NetworkManager by default, but are still supposed to be able to fallback to sns, pgprs, etc.
BarryK,
Regarding the symlinks, I have determined what needs to be changed in EasyOS (etc.) to use the interface provided by the 2.x versions of pgprs and attach them below. The tarball can be extracted to '/', or elsewhere if you just want to examine it (top directory: /usr). The difference listings summarize the changes, some of which are only for consistency and do not affect operation. With the updates installed, the two symlinks can be deleted from EasyOS.

I include the current version of get_modem_alternative_device because it is needed for pgprs, due to a bug in pgprs-setup that fails to detect the older version. The new version identifies the available serial devices (e.g., ttyACM0).

Regarding the .desktop file, I notice that /usr/local/sfsget/dir2pet generates /.control/easy.run-once-top that removes the desktop file for 'pgprs-connect'. That leaves pgprs-connect out of the menu.

A significant upgrade to networking in woofCE is management of switching among the various network managers without impacting each other. It adds the termination of the "current" manager windows in case the user switches while another manager is running. Otherwise, the user may see misleading indications of network status. The absence of that protection in EasyOS might influence whether you have pgprs in the menu.
Attachments
diff-pgprs_interfaces_easyos.txt.gz
Summary of the changes
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
diff-pgprs_interfaces_easyos_unified.txt.gz
A basis for patching
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
EasyOS_pgprs_updates.tar.gz
Updated 2.3.1 scripts
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:
BarryK wrote:WoofQ has version 2.0.2.

BarryK,
Regarding the symlinks, I have determined what needs to be changed in EasyOS (etc.) to use the interface provided by the 2.x versions of pgprs and attach them below. The tarball can be extracted to '/', or elsewhere if you just want to examine it (top directory: /usr). The difference listings summarize the changes, some of which are only for consistency and do not affect operation. With the updates installed, the two symlinks can be deleted from EasyOS.

I include the current version of get_modem_alternative_device because it is needed for pgprs, due to a bug in pgprs-setup that fails to detect the older version. The new version identifies the available serial devices (e.g., ttyACM0).

Regarding the .desktop file, I notice that /usr/local/sfsget/dir2pet generates /.control/easy.run-once-top that removes the desktop file for 'pgprs-connect'. That leaves pgprs-connect out of the menu.

A significant upgrade to networking in woofCE is management of switching among the various network managers without impacting each other. It adds the termination of the "current" manager windows in case the user switches while another manager is running. Otherwise, the user may see misleading indications of network status. The absence of that protection in EasyOS might influence whether you have pgprs in the menu.
Thanks for taking the time to wend your way through all of that stuff!

I have applied the changes to woofQ, and bumped defaults-chooser PET:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 03#1060803
...that would be /usr/local/sfsget/dir2sfs script.

The scripts in .control inside the sfs only run when the sfs is in a container, not when on the main desktop. Also EasyPup will ignore .control folder.

In a container, whatever network setup is active on the main desktop, is inherited inside the container, so we don't want any network setup menu entries in, for example the containerised EasyOS.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#50 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

Hi. It's me, RSH. I made testings for pgprs some time ago, around version 2.0 and before that to get it working in Puppy. I'm reporting the issues when using FossaPup by 666philb.

1. The version installed by default in FossaPup is 2.0.2. Can't connect to the web using pgprs. Modem is detected by /dev/ttyUSB0 as it should be. When I'm installing the attached older version I can connect to the web immediately.

2. FossaPup rebooted to start fresh. After installing version 2.0.3 still can't connect to the web. Modem is not detected anymore. The only device detected is /dev/ttyS0 which doesn't seem to be my modem. Connection not possible. After installing the attached older version connection still not possible.

Attached .pet is a modified version for my own ease of use, which came from Slacko 5.7. Works in all my Puppies.
Attachments
pgprs-s57-6.pet
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

rerwin

pgprs-2.0.4-beta uploaded

#51 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded version 2.0.4-beta which changes the connect window to restore the scrolling of the connection log (in Puppies after BionicPup) and to continue to allow the window to be closed without disconnecting. This is intended to become version 2.1 once testers have verified whether the connection actually works (because I cannot test that myself).

Since BionicPup, the Xdialog tailbox and logbox options no longer work as expected, causing the log to display only the initial lines but not the updates. The exception is that logbox updating works only when its input is from stdin, fed by 'tail' reading the log file. Note, though, that the window will not accept mouse clicks until the connection is made or rejected, necessitating a change in how the connection is initiated (updetach instead of nodetach).

Anyone using gprs, please try this new package and report your experience with it. For diagnosis, please post or PM the following files: /var/log/messages
/tmp/xerrs.log
/tmp/.gprs_connect.log (hidden)

Or you can run 'pdiag' and post/PM the file it produces.

Thank you for whatever feedback you can provide.
Richard

taersh

#52 Post by taersh »

Hi.

Testing pgprs-2.0.4-beta.pet.

Currently I'm online and posting with FossaPup64 and pgprs-2.0.4-beta.pet installed. Though, I'm running FossaPup64 with Kernel 5.0.21-rt15. Using the original kernel of FossaPup64 the modem is not detected.
[b]My Music:[/b]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

rerwin

#53 Post by rerwin »

taersh wrote:Currently I'm online and posting with FossaPup64 and pgprs-2.0.4-beta.pet installed. Though, I'm running FossaPup64 with Kernel 5.0.21-rt15. Using the original kernel of FossaPup64 the modem is not detected.
Thank you very much for testing pgprs. That is very good news that pgprs can work, if the device is recognized!

It sounds like the problem is with kernel support for the device.

Do you have any concerns or suggestions about how the fixed pgprs operates?

Now I can proceed with fixing frisbee's mobile support similarly to that of pgprs.