Version 1.0.2 deleted a lot of files - bug or a feature?

Please post any bugs you have found
Bruce B

Version 1.0.2 deleted a lot of files - bug or a feature?

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I upgraded from 1.0.1 and on first boot 1.0.2 deleted a lot of files from the /root/.usr subdirectories. It made a list of the files it deleted in the /root/tmp directory but the files are no more.

Not a big deal because I had the list to see what was deleted and I was able to replace things.

Otherwise it has been running well.

BTW - Anyone know where the f-prot package can be downloaded?

Kal

F-prot

#2 Post by Kal »

I could not download in the normal way, it came up not found. So I went back to the main download site ibiblio and got it out of Puppy 1.0.0 files and installed
f-prot and xf-prot . After unzipping, the folders will tell you where to installed, they mergered. All seems to work well with 1.0.2. Upgrade went normal.
Good Luck, Kal

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Bruce, I replied to your other thread about Gimp, explaining about the removed files.
The upgrade script is very severe, but the removed files are in /root/tmp, however they all get deleted at shutdown. The reason for this is they are taking up space.

There are good reasons for the severe removal of files out of /usr.
There is also a mechanism that I want to enforce, so that files will not be removed -- see the package manager page on the Puppy web site.

#4 Post by Guest »

BarryK wrote:Bruce, I replied to your other thread about Gimp, explaining about the removed files.
The upgrade script is very severe, but the removed files are in /root/tmp, however they all get deleted at shutdown. The reason for this is they are taking up space.

There are good reasons for the severe removal of files out of /usr.
There is also a mechanism that I want to enforce, so that files will not be removed -- see the package manager page on the Puppy web site.
Everything you do is good. I wasn't complaining so much as reporting a potential bug. Thanks for your reply!

Got another very tiny bug for you:

The add-on utility Torsmo (system monitor) displays version 1.0.1 instead of 1.0.2

Thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

the torsmo dotpup is my package ... i wrote it for Puppy 1.0.1, and i just typed 1.0.1 into the config file

also, i made the package before Barry added alien package support in PupGet, so it will be removed from /usr if you install a new version of Puppy (i don't think it needs to be in /usr anyway)

if you want, just edit .torsmorc or whatever the config file is, probably a hidden file in /root ... and change 1.0.1 to 1.0.2

Bruce B

modifying .

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Thanks a lot GuestToo. I really appreciate all the good work. Thanks for the Midnight Commander and I think YTree also.

I installed a dark blue background and Puppy and the black text on torsmo was hard to read.

I just edited the .torsmorc file and changed the version and the text color. Looks great, what a cool tool!

Link to the wallpaper I am using - I think it looks great on Puppy

http://files.slonov.net/files/cartoon_f ... 00_003.jpg

--------------------

Changing subject:

Midnight Commander has files and scripts to open various VFS, but some of them need Pearl - so I installed it. I wonder if you think it would be a good idea if I uploaded the Pearl binaries for those who wish to make the most of Midnight Commander?

One thing I could not get working is the RPM extensions. I thought all it needs is rpm2cpio - but I couldn't make it work. If you ever figure out how to get it working I'd appreciate a post some time.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

Midnight Commander is AlienX's package
i should move it to the user contributed page i guess

it isn't really setup for Puppy ... it could do with a little tweaking

i put an rpm in a new dir, open rxvt in the dir, and type unrpm and hit tab ... this unzips the rpm

unrpm is a script i wrote so i don't have to remember the syntax

#!/bin/sh
exec rpm2cpio "$@" | cpio -i -d

i think PupGet is supposed to be able to work with rpms, but i haven't tried it

i've tried unpacking debs with dpkg-deb, but it doesn't seem to work properly ... i think PupGet uses dpkg-deb too

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo wrote:Midnight Commander is AlienX's package
i should move it to the user contributed page i guess

it isn't really setup for Puppy ... it could do with a little tweaking

i put an rpm in a new dir, open rxvt in the dir, and type unrpm and hit tab ... this unzips the rpm

unrpm is a script i wrote so i don't have to remember the syntax

#!/bin/sh
exec rpm2cpio "$@" | cpio -i -d

i think PupGet is supposed to be able to work with rpms, but i haven't tried it
Thank you very much. I just made an identical script and tested it. Works great!