VLC : what works, what does not

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Pete

#21 Post by Pete »

Hi Billtoo

Great that you got it compiled.
I wouldn't worry about it being bigger by a few megs, at least it's working.

As regards subtitles, there are several types all of which use different libs to decode and then a common lib to display.

First type is embedded in the stream, for example in mkv movies.
This gives you the option to switch them on or off.

Second type is the ones found in DVD's.
Again these can be switched on or off and various languages are available.

Third type are in a separate file which vlc will show automatically if the file exists in the same directory and has the same name as the movie clip.
Many formats available but most common are .srt and .ass (yes no typo).

Last type are the "burnt-in" subtitles which cannot be turned off as they have been rendered on top of the video.

Pete

#22 Post by Pete »

To test if VLC will display subtitles, download Test.srt (remove the fake .zip)
then save it to the same directory as your video/s and rename the srt file to the same name as one of your movies/clips., don't forget the.srt extension.

Restart VLC and play that movie.
First subtitle should appear from aprox 0.5 sec to 4 secs, then nothing for 1 sec then second sub title from 5 sec to 11 secs.
Attachments
Test.srt.zip
(102 Bytes) Downloaded 209 times

Billtoo

#23 Post by Billtoo »

Pete wrote:To test if VLC will display subtitles, download Test.srt (remove the fake .zip)
then save it to the same directory as your video/s and rename the srt file to the same name as one of your movies/clips., don't forget the.srt extension.

Restart VLC and play that movie.
First subtitle should appear from aprox 0.5 sec to 4 secs, then nothing for 1 sec then second sub title from 5 sec to 11 secs.
It displayed "This is line 1" then nothing, then "This is line 2"

Pete

#24 Post by Pete »

Perfect, exactly what it should be.

You can safely assume that subtitles are working.

smokey01

#25 Post by smokey01 »

Has anyone manage to compile VLC 3.0 yet?

I'm looking forward to chromecast support.

Interesting German article: http://www.chip.de/artikel/VLC-3.0-Chro ... 81893.html

Translated to English.

VLC 3.0 supports Chromecast
Video streaming is an interesting topic for many users. VLC 3.0 gets native support for Chromecast donated, the biggest highlight. The HDMI Stick Google Google now wants to dissuade us from WhatsApp and Apple can be played directly from the VLC media player. Currently Chromecast module is still being worked on and the known Chromecast button does not exist yet. The transfer therefore can not be started with a single click or tap. Instead, you have to head for the point "Renderer Output" under "Tools". There, sitting in the optimal case also Chromecast. In our tests it worked not really good. Although the Chromecast was found, but the transmission worked only every fifth attempt. Users must therefore be patient for stable Chromecast support or use our alternative tip for VLC and Chromecast.

LateAdopter

#26 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Smokey01

If you are testing xenialpup/xenialpup64, you could get the daily build .debs from Launchpad and install them.

https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archiv ... /+packages

I have added Launchpad PPAs to the Puppy Package Manager in the past, but it's not generally worth the effort. I normally download the amd64 .debs that are not dev or dbg and click on them in Rox filer to install them. Then check dependencies of installed package to create a shopping list of packages to get from the Ubuntu repo.

A few warnings though.

Doug McMahon has various PPAs on Launchpad. https://launchpad.net/~mc3man

He packages all of the latest multimedia stuff that works. A few months ago he commented that he had built VLC 3 but it wasn't usable, so he deleted it.

I remember, when barryk was working on the PPM during the Precise Puppy beta stage, that VLC was the ultimate test because it had about 70 dependencies. Xenialpup is quite up-to-date so it shouldn't need that many. Also a lot of dependencies derive from the plugins, and VLC will still run without them.

When installing a new version of VLC you need to delete the existing plugins as well as the config files.

You might have better luck with chromecast on KODI 16.1/17 alpha if you can understand its user interface.

smokey01

#27 Post by smokey01 »

I've had a look at a portable version 3.0, 80M. Too big for everyday use but OK to have a look at. Won't run as root. I'm trying to get a later version to see how much they've progressed with chromecast.

With the xenial version do I need all of those deps too? This is why I hate Ubuntu, everything is packaged separately. You never know what you need. I like to make sfs files on big packages that way I'm working with one file with everything contained. I still need the deps but I can share that single file and others don't need to gather deps.

Do I need all of these?
https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archiv ... d/10313121

LateAdopter

#28 Post by LateAdopter »

You need 5 packages from the PPA
vlc-3.0.0
vlc-nox
vlc-data
vlccore8
libvlc

Then I would do:

Code: Select all

ldd vlc | grep not
To find out what is needed just to get VLC to run. Then you run VLC in a terminal and it lists dozens of dependencies needed by the plugins, but they are not fatal. You have to guess which ones you actually need.

I have been that route once and it's quite long winded. If I wanted VLC 3, I would probably add that PPA to Puppy Package Manager and let it do the work.

I just installed Kodi 17 alpha 2 from the Launchpad KODI unstable PPA on xenialpup64 . It needed three .debs from the PPA and five other packages from the Ubuntu repo. It only took a few minutes and it's working.

Good Luck!

Pelo

What about DVDs ?

#29 Post by Pelo »

Vlc works : my question was
what is working, what is not. Sure VLC works
What about DVDs ?
My topic was to collect problems encountered with VLC by users, not problems to install it.
It's Harder and harder to plays DVDs nowadays unless install the old XineDVD.

Post-scriptum
VLC 2.14 rincewind plays my DVDs
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 30 Jul 2016, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

VLC : what works, what does not

#30 Post by Billtoo »

Vlc-2.2.4 works well in LxPupSc-16071 (amd64-radeon graphics)
It works well in LxPupSc-16071 on lenovo desktop (intel dual core processor-Nvidia graphics)
Attachments
vlc224.jpg
(70.08 KiB) Downloaded 593 times

smokey01

#31 Post by smokey01 »

Pelo I've never had a problem playing DVD's in VLC ever. Maybe I've just been lucky :wink:

Pelo

XenialPUP 7.0.2 audio CDs

#32 Post by Pelo »

XenialPUP 7.0.2 set audio as screencast shows
Attachments
Sr0.jpg
(35.29 KiB) Downloaded 619 times

Pelo

VLC is efficient in Xenialpup 7.0.2.

#33 Post by Pelo »

smokey, i suppose that if something not working, you are so experimented Puppy (user), that nothing can stop you. You are not frightened neither by english, neither by Linux..
Vlc Works, what i would prefer is that people list what works, because for some developers, just install VLC means VLC works.
I mean : mp3 works, but no titles, or titles ok.
Avi works but not Mpeg..
For audio Cds, after changing preferences, VLC is efficient in Xenialpup 7.0.2.
Attachments
Musette.jpg
Sorry for B&W (MTpaint bug)
(87.07 KiB) Downloaded 596 times

Pelo

How to launch a DVD chapter ?

#34 Post by Pelo »

What i would like its about reading Chapters of a DVD.
I run the DVD 1998 football cup, menu appears, but you need to launch a chapter, then how do you do ?
You cannot play your DVD :
DVD is unserviceable, broken, dirty ?
Your DVDplayer is unserviceable, lens are to be cleanned..
Mount the partition..
I Bought a set of two DVD (part one and two). DVD one is seen by Puppy, DVD 2 no.. That is the real life.. Same computer.

When i click on Sr0, VLC is launched, then something is wrong.. but what, that is the question, annoying a lot puppy developers version 7.0.2, preparing version 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5 and so on, while passengers get furious not having a movie on board xenialpup.
So wasting holidays by trying to watch movies with last Puppy Linux, You change for an older one, with gnome mplayer, and your movies play..
Attachments
ffconvert.jpg
Le newbie est perdu. Nothing understood
(52.31 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
metadata.png
Newbie épreuve (challenge)
(42.26 KiB) Downloaded 604 times

smokey01

#35 Post by smokey01 »

I don't think I have tried xenialpup so I can't offer help regarding vlc. My distro of choice is Fatdog64 and has been for many years. Never had a problem with vlc in it. Everything I have ever tried works. I guess there may be a few things I haven't tried.

Pelo

Since Tharpup, libraries are missing in Puppies,

#36 Post by Pelo »

smokey01, i give answer, i can be wrong :
Since Tharpup, libraries are missing in Puppies, because developers choose Ubuntu way of life, deleting ffmpeg. Slacko still get all multimedia apps working, included Puppy home made pDVD: peasy Mp3 and others..
However, Puppy Linux is still my prefered OS. :) 32 bits...
In fact i am not married with an OS, i need to get my DVDs playing, my CDs playing, Facebook and youtube running well ... with the fast puppies, Puppy 4.3.1 was doing well. No shame to use it again.

smokey01

#37 Post by smokey01 »

I'm not too keen on variants that use deb packages for the same reason you described. Although there is a large choice of software it can be quite difficult to get some of it working. It's a nice idea being able to use large repositories but it's not all that reliable, in my experience anyway.

When I, or others make a package for Fatdog64 it usually works first time. On the odd occasion it doesn't, it's easy to add the missing dependency as they will be in the same repository. The same can not be said for many other distros. Slacko and Fatdog are very reliable.

scientist

#38 Post by scientist »

The VLC for slacko 64 bit does not work. :-(

It did work in the 32 bit version.

And the screen size on Mplayer can not be made larger.

Even full screen does not result in any larger size of the video playing.
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

Pelo

Mp3 files, CD, DVD or anything else.

#39 Post by Pelo »

scientist please precise what works in 32 bits (what did you use exactly, tested ok)
Mp3 files, Avi, CD, DVD or anything else.

smokey01

#40 Post by smokey01 »

scientist wrote:The VLC for slacko 64 bit does not work. :-(

It did work in the 32 bit version.

And the screen size on Mplayer can not be made larger.

Even full screen does not result in any larger size of the video playing.
I just compiled the latest version of vlc in Fatdog64-702. I then tried it in slacko64 and it worked fine with many video formats, avi, mkv, mov, mp4 etc. I didn't try a dvd, sorry pelo but I don't have time at the moment. Vlc requires QT so load qt-4.8.5 from the repo and it should work fine.
http://www.smokey01.com/fd700/sfs/vlc-2.2.4-x86_64.sfs

I didn't strip the binaries or lib files.