Can't get the printer to print in JessieDog64

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
oui

Can't get the printer to print in JessieDog64

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

I am starting tomorrow for a journey with a rent car and have to print out the voucher etc. before that.

As very often no Linux will print out.

I am actually in Jessie-Dog64, probably the most adequate version offered in Puppy for my kind of laptop. The printer is on, the usb cable stick in in both without some box (being able to disturb!).

localhost:631 answers only:
Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:631
Before that, I did reinstall Slitaz completely fresh (as it is easy and very fast),

same thing.

What is to do in such a situation?

Can I test with software if the usb connection is possible, also if the laptop recognize that the printer exist and is on (usually Cups can do that, it is for me the normal way - but I can't connect to Cups)

Where are the connection data to be find?

Which groups / user right are needing and how to check them (theoretically I am root in Puppy alt. Jessie-Dog64! And in the new SliTaz installed only for that I did login as root!)?

What are the other cases to check?

Note: it is not a problem of printer installation - If I get a connection, after that, the printer will be installed without some difficulty! It is in my opinion a USB and connection problem, a localhost problem! I did for this reason post this message under forum section "network". I suppose it is right?

Kind regards

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run the command: ifconfig

Does the "lo" interface exist?

Run the command "/etc/init.d/cups status"

Is the CUPS server running?

Run PeasyPort. Scan IP address 127.0.0.1 for Port 631

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Hi dear rsrnc51

Thank you for you fast answer. I have to check all this matter new as, testing ifconfig etc. in the console, I did realize that that dog, what starts with start messages for jessie is not really the jessie-dog but... the experiment (and my own experiments on it after that using remaster) from fred a few days after the publication of the real Jessie-Dog with...
strech on x86_64 what did not continue. In Stretch was cups not intalled and can not react, of course (the situation in SliTaz is different: I did just install cups before that as I know that it is never more preinstalled...).

I have to remake all the test of today fresh on the real Jessie :roll: , but I can do it only after our journey!

Thank you again and I will inform again if I meet difficulties! But to know above test is a really good information in all cases!

Thank you again and kind regards!