Nightingale music manager from /mnt/home --Songbird Clone

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mikeslr

Nightingale music manager from /mnt/home --Songbird Clone

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Not recommended unless your running Saluki.

Following up a suggestion by TheAsterisk!, who recently created a Songbird pet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 967#601967, I went to the Nightingale website, http://getnightingale.com/, downloaded the tar.bz2 file and extracted it to a directory which I named nightingale (note the lack of capitals) on my home partition, to wit: /mnt/home.
As I was able to run it from there, I created a pet that creates a menu entry.

I was able to run it from (some, see below) Lupu 5.28 (built in part from Ubuntu binaries) and Saluki, which is a T2 build. Although it installed and "ran" in Slacko (which uses Slackware binaries) and Exprimo (which uses debian binaries), SHOUTcast failed to load any radio stations. Before needlessly installing the pet, I would test Nightingale by clicking its script file, named simply "nightingale," or its binary, named "nightingale-bin." You'll find both in the unpacked nightingale folder.
Edit: Also SHOUTcast failed in Three-Headed-Dog and LupuPlus. I then retried under the two other "Lupus/Lucids" 5.28 on my Grub4dos menu, and even installed 5.25. On all of them Shoutcast failed to load any station I tried. I'm certain it worked on some Lupu, but as I made some changes as to what I was running, I am unable to locate it.
It's a nice app if it works.(':lol:'). When it works, it provides a complete music manager. But if SHOUTcast fails then it provides nothing not already available using pmusic.

mikesLr

Like Songbird, Nightingale is a music manager. My interest in Nightingale was primarily because it provides access to SHOUTcast and Last.fm radio. Unlike Songbird, Nightingale is a maintained Linux application.

For those interested, I've attached attached the above mentioned pet. It does not include the Nightingale Application. You, like I, will have to download it and unpack it to a folder named "nightingale" --note, no capitals, and without the quotation marks.

For purists: Although I usually place the executable script, used to call the external program, in /my-applications/bin, for some reason it would not run from there in Lupu. So I placed that script in /usr/bin. The icon would be more appropriate to Songbird, and indeed is called Songbird.png in /usr/share/pixmaps. I chose to use it because I already had it and it was colorful.

mikesLr
Attachments
nightingale-0.9.pet
Provides Menu entry. Requires download of the actual applications from Nightingale. See text above
(54.53 KiB) Downloaded 466 times

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Some may remember Songbird. I used both Windows and Linux version. a very nice intuitive music manager.

Further some may also know that Songbird for Linux was dropped by its developers AND a Linux group has created a less-restricted Open-Source version called "Nightingale".

Nightingale is Linux, current and supported.

The latest tarball is here. Could someone convert it to a PET for the modern PUPPY distros?
Since is XUL based, it should work in either 32bit or 64bit PUPs.

Wikipedia, here

mikeslr

Shoutcast Fails

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi gcmartin,

Your post peeked my interest. So I downloaded and unpacked the Nightingales's archive to mnt/home. I was running Tahrpup 6.05 at the time. Clicking the script named nightingale initiates the GUI. It was able to play some music files I had previously downloaded.

However, I was not able to find an Shoutcast channel which did not report "failed".

As with Songbird, it isn't necessary to create a "full pet". Simply unpack the archive to a folder you've created. "nightingale"--with a small 'n'-- is a good name for that folder. Unpacking the archive doesn't create its own folder. You can place the folder on /mnt/home or /opt. I'll be glad to provide appropriate pets to create menu-listings for either or both such arrangements. But not until someone either figures out how to get shoutcast to work, or explains what I have to do to access radio streams.

Without shoutcast, Nightingale doesn't add anything which Puppy doesn't already have, and have taking up less space.

mikesLr

Pelo

songbird-1.11.0-dpup.sfs: 22 M

#4 Post by Pelo »

when looking for some music application to run with Slacko, i found an SFS of songbird .Shoutcast sometimes get success.
Nightingale is a clone.. i test that clone. Just for the fun, with Slacko, fun is rare. Saluki is more funny, Saluki est joli, Saluki is one of my prefered puppy.
:) it's so easy to connect a radio without these applications that i ask myself what they are used for...
Attachments
songbird.jpg
Slackeee
(54.15 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

nightingale is a java application ... ? wait and see.

#5 Post by Pelo »

No, nightingale is nice, at least better look than Songbird. Does any music will play from Nightingale. ? suspense. :)
Nightmare :?
Nigthingale list songs playing now on 400 radios, choice is grat, nice applis.
Videos : codecs are missing, even in windows version (songbird 1.9.3 plays videos on my sulu Lucid LTS)
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Nightingale_1.12.1-2454_linux-i686.tar.bz2

#6 Post by Pelo »

Medor provided tar gz 2016 here
WXmusik breaks down in Vividpup.
root# wxmusik
root#
(wxMusik:1116): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_realize_icon: assertion 'info->icon_pixmap == NULL' failed
*** Error in `/usr/local/wxMusik/wxMusik': free(): invalid pointer: 0x09c795d0 **

let us try nightingale ! With my Puppy Linux of course. Windows 7 is not for Music at Home (for Office Suite and other unpleasant jobs)

Pelo

Nightingale les mains dans les poches

#7 Post by Pelo »

Nightingale les mains dans les poches (without any Linux change, ready for use) in LXpup Xenial
Attachments
Le coeur de le dire.jpg
Extension .ogg
(55.43 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

64bit Appears to work under Tahrpup64, but

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Nightingale, forked from Songbird, is still active and available here: https://getnightingale.com/. I downloaded the 64-bit tar.bz, unpacked it which creates a folder, Nightingale, within which are a binary, nightingale-bin, and a script, nightingale. Clicking either will start the application.

ldd of the binary reflects that nothing is missing. The application appears to be working. Having declined the offer to have it search my computer and import media, I was able to open and listen to mp3s. None of the videos I tried played, but that may just have to do with the few formats I tried.

I remember liking the application under Saluki as a means of listening to streaming music. But all the channels I tried via its shoutcast link "failed to load". Perhaps this is because I am in the States. If you are located in Europe, you may have better results.

mikesLr

Pelo

Mikeslr, nightingale can play mpeg.

#9 Post by Pelo »

Mikeslr, nightingale can play MPEG. I will search and find wen i had success
LXpup Xenial to day : nightingale send me a message that it cannot import my MPEG videos (use Alexandra for videos)
Attachments
mpeg.png
I don't intend to use Nightingale for my videos
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Pelo

Nightingale fails with videos ? Use Bino !

#10 Post by Pelo »

bino (2MB) will do with video in spite of Bino is for 3D, it plays 2D too
sorry for screenshot
Attachments
bino.jpg
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 139 times