What I did with chroot in Puppy!

Using applications, configuring, problems
dougtheslug

un-chroot

#1 Post by dougtheslug »

that was my reason for chrooting , so I could run damnsmall-aplications while running puppy (without rebooting) I can un-chroot if I'm not running X.
I gess I could start the ssh server from the comand line while chrooted and then ssh from puppy into dsl using the loop back adress and run individual applications .
I'll try that tonight and let you know how it goes .
unless someone else has already tried that and wants to give me some insight.
thanks in advance.
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

dougtheslug

update

#2 Post by dougtheslug »

well my fellow puppians ssh into damnsmall on the ame pc worked even with X apps. and this opens a whole new set of possibilities.
I can install 2 different distros in the same computer and have students explore all the posibilities that linux offers and make them feel at home while doing so.
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Okay, you ran X apps in dsl...
did you only do "chroot"? Nothing else?
...if so, that's interesting.

doopdoop

#4 Post by doopdoop »

Actually, it should not be a real problem. X-Windows is designed to run run remote applications, it just defines a minimal set of calls for applications, so there there should not be more problems than running console apps. Necessary librariers are seached for in the chrooted environment. The only problems I can think are with conflicts with the loaded kernel and the /proc and /sys filesystems.

dougtheslug

chrooting

#5 Post by dougtheslug »

I was able to start damnsmalllinux Xserver once I chrooted into it , but only as root and I could not get back to puppy by typing exit or ctrl+D or any other combination Damnsmalllinux took over the complete screen : if I ctrl+alt+bkspc my screen would go black ,"BLACK" not blank and I had no choice but to hard reboot;
So I thought I could start damnsmalllinux SSH server once chrooted into it ; open a new shell in puppy and ssh into damnsmall as regular user using the loopback adress 127.0.0.1, and it worked I could run any Xapp native to Damnsmall and exit the SSH server when done , go back to puppy without rebooting .
I wander if I could do the same with another distro I'll try with KNOPPIX or UBUNTU and see what happends .
If it works I am thinking I could set up a demo PC where user can try any distro without leaving PUPPY .
PS I could not start puppys sshd server from damnsmall I believe the mesage was PRNG not seeded . Does anybody know why .