Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
jrb

#221 Post by jrb »

smokey01 wrote:Bugger! symphytum suffers a similar fate to stuffkeeper. Although symphytum can import data, it does it to a new collection/database. I want to be able to import data into an existing database, GGrrrr.
Hardly elegant, but you can maintain a corresponding .csv to your database, copy and paste new import data into this in your spreadsheet program and then reimport the .csv file.

Cheers, J

Pelo

you need to enter some data...

#222 Post by Pelo »

Ah symphytum will be recognized soon as one of the best databases available for Puppy Linux.People used to database know that the most boring is creating forms, id est GUIs. Symphytum one can be changed easily by dragging windows where you like.
Sure, to test database, you need to enter some data... The most difficult !
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#223 Post by gcmartin »

I think form processing data into a database is normal and I clearly understand the advantage to using form processing and maintaining related data in a database.

SQLite is a good selection as it is, now, in so many places across the Linux variants. Thus any knowledge gained and understood in Puppyland in its use, extends that into other areas/devices we have in our hands or around us in PC systems. Thus, it allows any user who has some knowledge of it on one system to use that knowledge in data management when on another system. Knowledge, allows it use everywhere since SQLite has become ubiquitous in small Linux, unix, and open-source systems.

Hope the developers see some value in such a step. Opens the doors for PUPPY to appeal to a larger community for use in data management for all sorts of things we users now have.

If Forms Processing does get addressed, here in this thread, it might be time to create a new thread around that facility-database where its opening thread announces the thread mission. This might lead the thread viewers having ideas of use cases they can relate to and share with others.

Pelo

There are a lot of databases available.

#224 Post by Pelo »

There are a lot of databases available. Our dear colleagues only escape when arriving to fulfill them. It's not so fun.
I never succeed to get them entering the first record ! (excepted Jopervasco)
A nice data base is our PPM, simply... But everyone should enter new stuff there. In fact, lot of databases are existing, but structures are different. An huge project would be collect all existing ones.
Folder .packages is a database. PPM is the GUI.
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 22 May 2017, 01:08, edited 2 times in total.

smokey01

#225 Post by smokey01 »

jrb wrote:
smokey01 wrote:Bugger! symphytum suffers a similar fate to stuffkeeper. Although symphytum can import data, it does it to a new collection/database. I want to be able to import data into an existing database, GGrrrr.
Hardly elegant, but you can maintain a corresponding .csv to your database, copy and paste new import data into this in your spreadsheet program and then reimport the .csv file.

Cheers, J
I do exactly that but you still have to re-do the form each time:-(
I guess it will have to do for now.
I'm using Ver 1.2. Has anyone managed to compile Ver 2.0?

Pelo

newer version needs Qt5.

#226 Post by Pelo »

newer version needs Qt5. I think training with Qt4 version until somebody compiles QT5 is a good idea. Some prefer compiling than adding data in already existing database. That does not make such a progress. :!:
What database do you need ? Your home furniture, your car repairs, Your friends and their phone, Your customers, your pending posts in the forum, everything is already available, but needs some work . Barry Kauler asked some help from everybody about the pets, but our Puppy builders are so occupied to build their own puppies from Woof Ce.
Post scriptum :
If furthermore you run our wonderful Polar Qt005 build with so much care by Pemasu, no Qt SFS had to be added.
Nevertheless, i will feed back when my version 2.1 ready. I hate Dropbox.

To be done with Xenialpup 7.0.2.
Version 2.0
===========

[New Features]
- #11 #12 #16 New fields for web links and email addresses

[Improvements]
- Migration from Qt4 to Qt5 (User interface library)
- Updated Dropbox certificates (Old ones are valid until August 2016)
- Implemented database version checking and upgrading on format change
- Updated about dialog to include github project link
- Compiler warning fixes

You Tube Demo
Attachments
Kittel.jpg
Marcel Kittel
(74.01 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Symphytum.jpg
My personal database for pets (For Puppies, i use OSMO, considering Puppies as persons)
(71.72 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.

smokey01

#227 Post by smokey01 »

I have a version 2.0 in my Fatdog64-700 repo. It does need the qt5-common package as well. http://smokey01.com/fd700/packages/ Are there any difference between 1.2 and 2.0? I didn't notice any.

Pelo did you say you have a version 2.1 of symphytum coming?

BTW thanks for the tip on TreeSize. I like it but it's a bit unstable when clicking on the Reload or skip directories buttons.

Pelo

Exploring for Symphytum newer version for linuxian colleage

#228 Post by Pelo »

Exploring for Symphytum newer version for linuxian colleages caring of having on self latest version.
personnaly i have been using version one for three years without trouble. I entered some records for my own usage.
With Xenialpup 7.0.2 the final answer is that a driver is missing. Symphytum 2.0 refuse to restore my backup done with version 1

For people still having Windows beside Puppy Linux, taste Windows version to see what you could miss running version one with Puppy Linux.
I believe i was the only Puppy passenger having run Symphytum in the forum. Perhaps it's no worth loosing time..
Xenialpup still has some trouble with desktop. Everybody is busy.. in the electronic bulk.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

i just took a glance at your fatdog 64 repository.

#229 Post by Pelo »

i just took a glance at your fatdog 64 repository.
With Puppy i decided to run only 32 bits.
Smokey01, i want to thank you here for your works. How often i found happiness in your stores :)
A database manager, again, a new one is born in QT5 PPM Xenialpup... you should not miss databases to fulfill in 2016 !
Screenshot Table created in five minutes importing data from .packages (tahrpup). You can do the same with OSMO (rename columns thru file .mo)
Attachments
DB browser.png
I prefer Symphytum, for the fun.
(46.32 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

Pelo

Symphytum is no longer free.

#230 Post by Pelo »

Symphytum is no longer free. you must pay for it, at least for Windows version (checked yesterday)

Colonel Panic

#231 Post by Colonel Panic »

Has everyone else given up on Portabase now? It may be more limited than other databases but I still use it, and perfectly contentedly. (BTW, yes it can import .csv files - that was how I created the data files I use in it now).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Pelo

ToOpPy Linux, a Precise Puppy 5.7.1. portabase as Database

#232 Post by Pelo »

Argolance has included POrtabase in its brand new ToOpPy Linux, a Precise Puppy 5.7.1.

slavvo67

#233 Post by slavvo67 »

Has everyone else given up on Portabase now?
Looks like Portabase hasn't been updated in about 4 years. Old isn't necessarily bad but looks like it's no longer being developed....

Colonel Panic

#234 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for your replies. Portabase for Debian doesn't look like it's being actively developed either (it's still at version 2.1).

I'm only dimly aware of ToOpPy Linux but I may check it out if I get the time soon.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Pelo

portabase is one of the worse

#235 Post by Pelo »

portabase is one of the worse, IMO, CSVpad does better :)

Pelo

Symphytum topic in Business section

#236 Post by Pelo »

Symphytum topic in Business section Take a glance here
Attachments
deb.jpg
Trouble With That Version
(46.38 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

smokey01

#237 Post by smokey01 »

@musher0, some time ago you posted about fields.awk pet.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 741#874741
I just tried this again in Fatdog64-710 and it failed to add or modify a record. I'm pretty sure the attached is you original pet you provided. I couldn't find it from your post so I have attached it below.

I'm not sure if this is a Fatdog problem or I missed it before. After pressing enter on the last field when adding a record the terminal closes. Have you experienced this?

Cheers
Attachments
fields.awk-1.pet
(160.01 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

musher0

#238 Post by musher0 »

Hi Smokey.

I must confess I haven't used Ian's fileds.awk in a while.

I just tested it again. I changed the word "Duo" to "Duet" in the little CD.txt
database that's included in the pet, without any problem.

But fields.awk refused to edit anything before I selected an editor. I chose
leafpad as editor, and after that I was able to do what I wanted. Ian has
set the default editor to vim, we have to change it, we don't have vim on
Puppy.

Tell me how it goes?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

smokey01

#239 Post by smokey01 »

@musher0, found the problem.

I had a directory called tmp in /root that was created by another app. This prevented touch from creating a file called tmp in /root.

It's working again. Better yet my modified version is working.

musher0

#240 Post by musher0 »

Excellent ! :)

Modified version ?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)