Desktop background- The SeaGull

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
patrickj

Desktop background- The SeaGull

#1 Post by patrickj »

Do we no longer have a background on the desktop, the old sea gull one. I have a multi session working now but when I boot up there is no background on the desktop, just gray. Am I missing something here or was it just left out of the ms version. If not is it possible to use your favorite jpeg for a background and if so how is it done.
Patrick

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I'm not sure why you don't have the seagull as yer default background, but you should be able to set whatever picture you want as your background by searching the start menu.

Go to Control Panel, Desktop Background (or something really close, not on Puppy right now sorry). You can then set whatever picture you like.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Download the dotpup WallpaperXli
drag potential wallpapers files (jpeg/ png etc) onto the "Mona Lisa icon

Regime change
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rich

#4 Post by Rich »

The Seagull pic should be in the /usr/share/images folder.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

PatrickJ - I seem to think that at high res (or some res the image dissapears and is replaced by a blank screen) It has never worried me too much as it is a minor bug

HOWEVER (sorry did not mean to shout) Puppy 1.0.5 is having a makeover and therefore these details of presentation will need to be attended to.

What resolution are you using? I am using 1280 x 1024

I have always wondered about that Seagull - Is it Jonathon Livingstone Seagull? Is it an evolved Tux learning to fly again?

What is with the Gull?

Love Puppy Linux
Tux flies again
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 11 Aug 2005, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

patrickj

The Gull

#6 Post by patrickj »

The file is there and it is even listed in the /.etc/background file as the one to use. If I turn it on in the desktop background box it comes on in any resolution, but even if I select to save the session, the next time I boot up it's back to the gray screen. Oh well, it's not that important an item to worry about, I was just wondering if something had been changed between versions. I definately like the possiblities with a multisession version.
Patrick

Walt H

Re: The Gull

#7 Post by Walt H »

patrickj wrote:The file is there and it is even listed in the /.etc/background file as the one to use. If I turn it on in the desktop background box it comes on in any resolution, but even if I select to save the session, the next time I boot up it's back to the gray screen. Oh well, it's not that important an item to worry about, I was just wondering if something had been changed between versions. I definately like the possiblities with a multisession version.
Patrick
I do run a multisession version but found I had the same thing happen if I ran a resolution greater than 1024 by 768. For instance, if I changed to 1280 by 1024, the background disappeared, replaced by a very light gray screen. Once I lowered the resolution back to 1024 by 768, the background was restored. I imagine that if you replaced your background with something larger in size (at least equal to your resolution), your background would not disappear. Just a thought.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Bancobusto

#8 Post by Bancobusto »

For me (not running a multi-session CD) I've found that the background (seagull) always dissapears if I set my resolution higher than 1024x7678. Strangely, no matter whether I set it to tile, fillscreen or whatever, it doesn't seem to make a differrence.

Strange, because other pictures that I have that I try this with don't do this, ie. if I set them to tile and the resolution id greater than the pictures dimensions then I get several of them.

Oh yes, and I don't get a light grey background, I get a startlingly bright white one. Funny, that.

:D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Bancobusto wrote:For me (not running a multi-session CD) I've found that the background (seagull) always dissapears if I set my resolution higher than 1024x7678. Strangely, no matter whether I set it to tile, fillscreen or whatever, it doesn't seem to make a differrence.

Strange, because other pictures that I have that I try this with don't do this, ie. if I set them to tile and the resolution id greater than the pictures dimensions then I get several of them.

Oh yes, and I don't get a light grey background, I get a startlingly bright white one. Funny, that.

:D
If you look in /etc/background, change "fillscreen" to "fullscreen", it will probably work at high resolutions.

Bancobusto

#10 Post by Bancobusto »

Thanks Barry.