Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
HiDeHo

#201 Post by HiDeHo »

I have run a portable version of firefox i got from the firefox website.
1. get the 32 or 64 bit firefox for your language hereFirefox download
2. extract it to a file on the puppytlinux hdd/flash drive called firefox.
3. click the firefox exectuable in it and it will run on your puppy.

you will need to make a .desktop file for this so it will show in the puppy menu. i just took the existing one for palemoon and changed it to point to the firefox file and such. you will also need to get a firefox icon and point to that too.

Pelo

i must set video to x11 instead of vdpau.

#202 Post by Pelo »

After one afternoon to search what was wrong in VLC Xenialpup 7.0.1, i found that vdpau was installed, DVDs are playing without trouble, but to play my files .avi i must set video to x11 instead of vdpau.
Just to share my experience..
Then you will be able to read your screencast done with Vokoscreen.
(use Simple Screen Recorder, much easier). I tested Vokoscreen because it can play Mkv.
Attachments
VLC.jpg
Vokoscreen now can be used, choose VLC as player
(38.01 KiB) Downloaded 1104 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Adding FF in 32bit XenialPUP so that it stays Up-to-Date

#203 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Pelo. Which video card to you have in your VLC PC?

Hello @HiDeHo

Your original FF installation and usage may have come from @Shinobar where he automated all of what you seem to be using.

Not sure, but sound like what many of us use. His benefit is that FF is placed on the system's HDD. Then every distro that boots does not need to install FF. Just click the executable or drag the executable to the new desktop; which is what you imply.

@Shinobar also offers similar for other browsers, too; namely SeaMonkey and Chrome.

Hope this is helpful to those who use the same browser no matter what/which distro they boot.

Pelo

GC martin, is it the info that you need ? (screenshot)

#204 Post by Pelo »

GC martin, is it the info that you need ? (screenshot)
Xenialpup had no FFmpeg available as default. Puppy administration now will include it, i think, for people using Puppy Linux as video editor. Too many apps are dependent of FFmpeg
GC Martin, what do you think about vdpau, do we really need that ? (cause of lot of troubles)
I have created a topic VLC, in multimedia section, to avoid to disturb Puppies evolution with our home, sweet home applications... for our laptops con with we never compute. Only play !
Attachments
Video.jpg
VLC 2.2.2
(45.13 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times

recobayu

#205 Post by recobayu »

I hope the next xenialpup including this last version of my pet.
I'm very happy can contribute this.
1. mukstart here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 500#912500
2. Stickyjwm here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 550#910550
3. Gtk and jwm theme wdz 10:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 552#910552

gcmartin

#206 Post by gcmartin »

@Pelo, I am no authority in use of video tools. But reading some on video cards in Linux and hardware acceleration over past year, this page seems to summarize its use for hardware assist in VLC 2.2+

There may remain an issue with its lib for a codec, ATM.

Hope that is helpful, assuming you're going to focus on VLC 2.2 and beyond to exercise features of popular video cards/adapters. There is a requirement for such as the industry barrels forward toward 2K/4K/8K streams.

HiDeHo

#207 Post by HiDeHo »

the only Jre i can find for puppy is an old jre-1.8.0.05.sfs( jre 8.) this is outdated and blocked by many websites. is there an sfs for jre 11 the current one

HiDeHo

Re: Adding FF in 32bit XenialPUP so that it stays Up-to-Date

#208 Post by HiDeHo »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @HiDeHo

Your original FF installation and usage may have come from @Shinobar where he automated all of what you seem to be using.

Not sure, but sound like what many of us use. His benefit is that FF is placed on the system's HDD. Then every distro that boots does not need to install FF. Just click the executable or drag the executable to the new desktop; which is what you imply.

@Shinobar also offers similar for other browsers, too; namely SeaMonkey and Chrome.

Hope this is helpful to those who use the same browser no matter what/which distro they boot.
ok do you have a link to the firefox and other apps by @Shinobar that run from HDD outside the save.

gcmartin

#209 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @HiDeHo

His Portable Browsers can be found here.

Install only ONCE and use with EVERY PUP you boot.

I must indicate, that personally, I have only done this on a 32bit where I test many 32bit PUPs. I mere open the folder and execute or open the folder and drag the app to the desktop.

And, I have done this on a 64bit PC, separately. On my 64bit PC I never boot any 32bit distros. So, I cannot attest to what would happen if I tried to boot a 32bit distro on the PC and try running a 64bit browser. Or trying to run a 32bit browser on the 64bit distro.

So, to be safe, I recommend you create 32bit browsers to use on any 32bit distro you happen to boot. And similarly use 64bit browsers with 64bit distros...unless, of course, you find out otherwise.

Hope this is helpful.

Robin2

#210 Post by Robin2 »

HiDeHo wrote:the only Jre i can find for puppy is an old jre-1.8.0.05.sfs( jre 8.) this is outdated and blocked by many websites. is there an sfs for jre 11 the current one
Why not just download it from the Oracle Java website?

...R

gcmartin

#211 Post by gcmartin »

Pelo

last Nightingale, from Argolance Music store (France)

#212 Post by Pelo »

while mechanics are hardly working repairing the machine, in the bulk, passengers on cruise take sunbath on the deck and listen to music with last Nightingale, from Argolance Music
store (France)
French Passengers on holidays on Xenial can Load from this Topic, getting futher information from Argolance.
British citizen can use this link to get the Tar.Gz
For technical staff :
I load nightingale in repository /opt
People reading the forum would believe none of our Puppies are serviceable. That is false. it's only because some of us prefer to spend their holidays in the bulks rather than on the deck
Attachments
XenialNightClub.jpg
Xenialpup is serviceable in spite of some settings to improve
(42.52 KiB) Downloaded 1736 times

bigpup

#213 Post by bigpup »

Making graphics drivers does not like me.

Anyone make any Nvidia drivers for Xenialpup?

I need the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.39 driver.

I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.39.run package from Nvidia web site.
I have loaded the devx and kernel sfs, but I keep getting errors when making the driver.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#214 Post by gcmartin »

@BigPUP is highlighting a need that is long overdue!

The current nvidea driver is too old and the driver he mentions accounts for almost every older nvidea card.

Maybe development could review and either replace the current, "really old", nvidea driver with this one OR add this driver to the current mix of drivers. This would do because of the many more cards it covers than and in addition to the old.

Hope this filters thru to the builders and WOOFCE git.

P.S. I do understand that Noveau, today, is suppose to be able to replicate functionality found in V173 of nVidea.

bigpup

#215 Post by bigpup »

P.S. I do understand that Noveau, today, is suppose to be able to replicate functionality found in V173 of nVidea.
The Noveau driver works OK as a general Nvidia driver supporting Nvidia hardware. It works to get to a running desktop and a working Puppy.

However, it does not give full and complete abilities to the Nvidia hardware.
The Nvidia specific driver, fully supports all the abilities of the hardware.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#216 Post by gcmartin »

+1 and is the reason why development should be in favor or replacing/adding the really old one with V173

sszindian

32-bit programs

#217 Post by sszindian »

Found on the Internet:

Installing 32-bit libraries on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus
12 May 2016

Ubuntu used to have a hackish way to get a 32-bit runtime on a 64-bit system with the ia32-libs package. However, that has been deprecated in favour of MultiArch and now we have the following steps to get things like adb and crclient working again:

Enable the i386 architecture (as root user):

CODE:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

Install 32-bit libraries (as root user):

CODE:
apt-get install libc6:i386 libstdc++6:i386

It’s worth noting how it’s similar to how it’s done in Fedora, i.e. dnf install glib6.i686 and so on.

Any ideas what Puppy users do to get this accomplished for our 32-bit needs ?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

666philb

#218 Post by 666philb »

hi sszindian

try tahrpups 32bit libs.sfs and the type ldconfig in a terminal
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

starhawk

#219 Post by starhawk »

phil, do kindly check your PMs when you get a moment.

TIA.

sszindian

32-bit programs

#220 Post by sszindian »

phil:

I loaded the 32-bit Tahr64 libs from SETUP (in Menu) SFS-Load on-the-fly then opened a Terminal and typed what you said- ldconfig then loaded (with SFS-Load on-the-fly) my 32-bit- 'Google_Earth 6.0.2.3197-luki.sfs' which works in all my other Puppy's It didn't work! Am I doing something wrong here?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]