SOLVED: Compiling c/c++ in puppy v2.12

Booting, installing, newbie
confuzzled

SOLVED: Compiling c/c++ in puppy v2.12

#1 Post by confuzzled »

The method I have found repeated in lots of places for doing this is to find the devx_212.sys file and download it to (as I am using a usb boot) /mnt/home (where the pup_save.3fs is) and then reboot.

Having done this, I find that I am unable to compile anything. I get the error message:

gcc: command not found

I have noticed a couple of other posts reporting problems but they were for people who had done a harddrive install of puppy and the instructions they were given related to un-squashing the file and saving the contents somewhere. I am new to linux and puppy so I was wondering if anybody could help.

thanks

edit-
This has now been solved, simply by repetition. I don't know why but it worked the fourth time.

craftybytes

#2 Post by craftybytes »

I run Puppy from a generic USB 1GB Pendrive and save my 'pupsave_213.sfs' file to a 2nd generic USB 1GB Pendrive - both work fine ....

When I first started using the 'devx_213.sfs' file - I also had difficulties in getting it to properly load at boot .. I eventually found that by some quirk in puppy the file 'permissions' sometimes were and sometimes were not set correctly - if I'm correct - BarryK could probably confirm this - the 'pup_213.sfs' & 'zdrv_213.sfs' & 'devx_213.sfs' files should all have the 'executable' box set as well - if not puppy may not correctly load the internals from these '.sfs' files ...!!

I just checked by 'right-clicking' on the file and checking the permissions .. from then on puppy seems to find them no problems ...!!

Hope this helps ..
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..