Pupget not working

Booting, installing, newbie
Jefrystube

Pupget not working

#1 Post by Jefrystube »

I do not know what I did, but Pupget no longer works. Instead I get a text document after clicking on the big Pupget button, text as follows:
Title Bar at top of window: Usage for Xdialog
Xdialog v2.1.1 by Thierry Godefroy |followed by his email address which I won't post and more about Xdialog|

How do I undo this so that I get Pupget working again?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Could you provide a bit more information please such as :

The version of Puppy you are using.

The type of install i.e. Live CD, Multi-session CD. Hard drive, Pen drive etc.

The settings you use to set up Puppy.

Thanks.

Jefrystube

#3 Post by Jefrystube »

Sorry, I should have realised you'd need that.
Puppy 2.12 installed from a live CD to the hard drive.
Everything is default settings except my sound card which is a legacy Soundblaster 16.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything. I do not yet know the Linux file system, so please be pathway specific since I don't know what the standard folders are for any particular file types.

I'm considering just re-installing as being the easiest option since I haven't really customised it yet. I've only downloaded a few packages. BTW, most of the Dotpup packages don't seem to want to install. Is this because I have the latest version of Puppy and they haven't caught up yet?

Edit to add: I've tried other Linux distributions, but puppy seems to work best so far. Much faster on this very old computer; HP Vectra Pentium Pro 200, 128Mb RAM. Red Hat isn't very newbie friendly and Ubuntu won't give me sound at all.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you're using the dotpupdownloader, it's because the forums went through a server change and several updates. That downloader gets its links from the wiki, but the wiki hasn't been updated yet to reflect the new forum-addresses. Those dotpups can usually be found by searching the forum. When you find one, just download and click it.

As for Pupget, it sounds like it's trying to do something Xdialog doesn't like, which is why that window pops up. Try opening a console window (the icon that says console) and typing pupget. Hit enter, and post any errors that it displays.

Did you install any other versions of Xdialog or gxmessage?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Jefrystube

#5 Post by Jefrystube »

Typing pupget in the console just runs pupget then I get the same result. I don't think I updated those files, Xdialog or gxmessage.

I'll probably just re-install. It's strictly a computer for me to learn Linux on, it's not critical for any day-to-day tasks.

Thanks for trying to help though, I do appreciate it.

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I meant any output to the terminal window. It might give a clue to what's wrong.

But yeah, re-installing is easier when you haven't done much, at least with Puppy. I reinstalled five times one day (I was attempting to install audio and graphics drivers, among other things).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Riam

#7 Post by Riam »

Pizzasgood wrote:I meant any output to the terminal window. It might give a clue to what's wrong.
I have the very same problem. By entering pupget into the terminal, here's what I get:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# pupget
RETVAL=10
cat: /root/.packages/packages.txt: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/pupget: line 646:  4715 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg "                                                             orange" -title "PupGet" -buttons "" "Processing, please wait..."
Xdialog: missing list parameters !
Xdialog v2.1.1 by Thierry Godefroy <xdialog@free.fr> (v1.0 was
written by Alfred at Cyberone Internet <alfred@cyberone.com.au>).
Xdialog home page available at: http://xdialog.dyns.net/

Usage: Xdialog [<common options>] [<transient options>] <box option> ...

Common options:
  --wmclass <name>
  --rc-file <gtkrc filename>
  --backtitle <backtitle>
  --title <title>
  --allow-close | --no-close
  --screen-center | --under-mouse | --auto-placement
  --center | --right | --left | --fill
  --no-wrap | --wrap
  --cr-wrap | --no-cr-wrap
  --stderr | --stdout
  --separator <character> | --separate-output
  --buttons-style default|icon|text

Transient options:
  --fixed-font
  --password (may be repeated 2 or 3 times before --2inputsbox or --3inputsbox)
  --editable
  --time-stamp | --date-stamp
  --reverse
  --keep-colors
  --interval <timeout>
  --no-tags
  --item-help (if used, the {...} parameters are needed in menus/lists widgets)
  --default-item <tag>
  --icon <xpm filename>
  --no-ok
  --no-cancel
  --no-buttons
  --default-no
  --wizard
  --help <help>
  --print <printer> (1)
  --check <label> [<status>]
  --ok-label <label>
  --cancel-label <label>
  --beep
  --beep-after
  --begin <Yorg> <Xorg>
  --ignore-eof
  --smooth

Box options:
  --yesno       <text> <height> <width>
  --msgbox      <text> <height> <width>
  --infobox     <text> <height> <width> [<timeout>]
  --gauge       <text> <height> <width> [<percent>]
  --progress    <text> <height> <width> [<maxdots> [[-]<msglen>]]
  --inputbox    <text> <height> <width> [<init>]
  --2inputsbox  <text> <height> <width> <label1> <init1> <label2> <init2>
  --3inputsbox  <text> <height> <width> <label1> <init1> <label2> <init2> <label                                                             3> <init3>
  --combobox    <text> <height> <width> <item1> ... <itemN>
  --rangebox    <text> <height> <width> <min value> <max value> [<default value>
]
  --2rangesbox  <text> <height> <width> <label1> <min1> <max1> <def1> <label2> <                                                             min2> <max2> <def2>
  --3rangesbox  <text> <height> <width> <label1> <min1> <max1> <def1> ... <label                                                             3> <min3> <max3> <def3>
  --spinbox     <text> <height> <width> <min value> <max value> <default value>                                                              <label>
  --2spinsbox   <text> <height> <width> <min1> <max1> <def1> <label1> <min2> <ma                                                             x2> <def2> <label2>
  --3spinsbox   <text> <height> <width> <min1> <max1> <def1> <label1> ... <min3>                                                              <max3> <def3> <label3>
  --textbox     <file> <height> <width>
  --editbox     <file> <height> <width>
  --tailbox     <file> <height> <width>
  --logbox      <file> <height> <width>
  --menubox     <text> <height> <width> <menu height> <tag1> <item1> {<help1>}..                                                             .
  --checklist   <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> {                                                             <help1>}...
  --radiolist   <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> {                                                             <help1>}...
  --buildlist   <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> {                                                             <help1>}...
  --treeview    <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> <                                                             item_depth1> {<help1>}...
  --fselect     <file> <height> <width>
  --dselect     <directory> <height> <width>
  --colorsel    <text> <height> <width>
  --fontsel     <font name> <height> <width>
  --calendar    <text> <height> <width> [<day> <month> <year>]
  --timebox     <text> <height> <width> [<hours> <minutes> <seconds>]

Special options:
  --version             (prints version number to stderr and exits).
  --print-version       (same as above in a cdialog-compatible way).
  --print-maxsize       (prints maximum menu size in characters and exits).

Note that <height> and <width> are in characters and may be replaced by a single
XSIZExYSIZE[+/-XORG+/-YORG] parameter (like the one passed in the -geometry opti                                                             on
of X) which will represent the size of the Xdialog window in pixels. Specifying
a size of 0 0 (or 0x0) will auto-size Xdialog, while a size of -1 -1 (or -1x-1)
will maximize it.

(1) This Xdialog binary compiled with: lpr -P<printer>
    as the print command. If <printer> is "" (an empty string), the -P
    option is not used.
Booting doesn't solve the problem. Can someone help?

MU

#8 Post by MU »

try to copy /initrd/pup_ro2/root/.packages/packages.txt
to
/root/.packages/packages.txt

Mark

Riam

#9 Post by Riam »

I´m going to ask a very stupid question now, I´m sure, heh. Where do I find the "/initrd/pup_ro2/root/.packages/packages.txt"? I can´t seem to locate it anywhere. :roll:

Riam

#10 Post by Riam »

Or... I´m not sure I have the txt.file at all. The directory isn´t there either. (Tried to check/uncheck hidden files option in Rox).

Riam

#11 Post by Riam »

I also tried to take a look at this thread (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13822), but still to no avail. Anyway, I´m just going to re-install Puppy from scratch, it´s probably easier as for now.

Mark, thanks for your help and suggestions though, it´s much appreciated.

A very Merry Christmas to all you Puppy peeps out there. :)

MU

#12 Post by MU »

Riam, it is only available, if you run Puppy from CD or a frugal installation, but not from a full harddisk-install.

And activate in Rox the "show hidden files" icon, to see folders with a leading dot ".".

Mark

JohnMc

Addon to this discussion

#13 Post by JohnMc »

Over the Christmas weekend I attempted to download two dotpup files Xnview and GQView. Both downloaded fine, but bombed on a file integrity error. I am using ver 2.10 of Puppy. I thought this was my problem till I did a few other dotpups later that day.

Suggestions?

richardanz

#14 Post by richardanz »

I am running Puppy 2.10 on an AMD 2000+ with an NVidia 5200 128MB PCI card and an MSI MB. 1 GB RAM.
I have seen the page described after failing to get Wine to work. The Wine error was a soft lock up in the CPU and to low a glibc version number (without TLS and NTHP? support whatever that is).
I then installed Glibc 2.4 and now I have only the glibc entry in the pupget installed page- the list of available packages has gone west- as have all the entries of dotpups previously installed. My guess is the problems might be related and something to do with the filelist being trashed.
Today I booted to CD and copied uncorrupted versions of alienpackages.txt and packages.txt to .packages, merging the alien packages. When I fired up pupget it detected the changes and uninstalled Glibc 2.4 with dire warnings. Now when I select pupget the list is populated but when I select something to install it vanishes without trace- not an improvement. Any suggestions-?