How to update SeaMonkey in Werewolf-64? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Flash
Official Dog Handler

How to update SeaMonkey in Werewolf-64? (Solved)

#1 Post by Flash »

My bank won't let me access my account until I update my browser, which is SeaMonkey 2.39. It doesn't seem all that old to me, but okay. I couldn't find a later version in PPM so I downloaded the latest version of SeaMonkey I could find, 2.40, but can't figure out how to use it.
Last edited by Flash on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

ASD

#2 Post by ASD »

Flash,

I assume your version of SeaMonkey 2.39 does not include "Check for Updates" in its "Help" tab's drop down list.

If that is the case, if you can download and install (with a left click)
a Deb version (even as old as 2.21 - but not older) of SeaMonkey you should see "Check for Updates".

If so, after updating, v 2.40 will work exactly the same as v 2.39.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu ... lla-build/
Mouseover the version names to get your 64 bit download.

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Flash,

I am not familiar with Werewolf-64 but I would guess that the Seamonkey 2.39 in it is one that was compiled from source by BarryK and he usually disables the updater in the build when he does this.

If the 2.40 you have is the "official build" tarball from the Seamonkey website you should be able to just unpack it into the location so as to overwrite the original one (/usr/lib64 or whatever). It is all contained in a single directory. You may find that it runs slower than BarryK's compiled version but it should update when future versions come out. There is always the possibility that it still may not be accepted by the bank's system, not sure. You may need to try latest Firefox or a Chromium derivative instead. Some web systems are very fussy and selective about compatibility with browsers these days.
Oscar in England

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

You're right, there is no updater in Werewolf-64's Seamonkey 2.39. There is a directory called Seamonkey 2.39 in /usr/lib, and in the same directory a symlink to it, called Seamonkey.. What I tried that didn't work was:
  • 1. Extract the contents of SeaMonkey 2.40.tar.bz2 into a directory I named Seamonkey-2.40.
    2. Make a new directory in /usr/lib and name it seamonkey-2.39old
    3. Open /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.39 and move all its contents to the (empty) /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.39old directory I created in step 2.
    4.Copy the contents of the seamonkey-2.40 directory I created in step 1 into the (now empty) /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.39 directory.
This did not work. When I clicked the Browse icon on the desktop, nothing happened. When I entered "seamonkey" in a console, it said that the file /usr/bin/seamonkey (which is a symlink to /usr/lib/seamonkey) could not be found, even though I could see it there, plain as day.
I emptied and used the original /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.39 directory on the theory that it might have some kind of permissions associated with it that I'd lose if I used a new directory for the Seamonkey 2.40 files.

I reversed what I had done and SeaMonkey 2.39 works fine again,

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

When you extract the tarball the directory is just named seamonkey.
You should just be able to extract that into /usr/lib so that it overwrites the symlink named seamonkey. This means that the seamonkey-2.39 directory is "disconnected" (because the symlink is gone) and the 2.40 is installed (but without the unneeded number in the name).

The /usr/bin/seamonkey should be calling /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey not /usr/lib/seamonkey (the executable within the directory, not the directory itself).

If you wish to reverse things back, delete the 2.40 seamonkey directory and contents and re-establish the symlink to seamonkey-2.39
Oscar in England

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

No joy. I overwrote the seamonkey symlink with the seamonkey directory containing 2.40, but the result was the same. Somehow bash can't see the seamonkey file in /usr/lib/seamonkey even though I can see that it is there, but apparently bash sees the seamonkey file in the seamonkey-2.39 directory.

Why are browsers so hard to update? I can use Firefox or Chrome if I could find a .pet or Ubuntu package. Where can I find Ubuntu packages, anyway? They don't seem to be in Werewolf's package manager.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

On checking the web page for SeaMonkey's system requirements, it appears that SeaMonkey 2.40 requires several libraries and other programs that are not in Werewolf. Anyway I can't find them, but I'm not at all sure where to look.

ASD

#8 Post by ASD »

I read that your OS is based on debian - so if you download the 64 bit Seamonkey deb version of 2.40 (or any of 2.21 to 2.39 inclusive then upgrade to 2.40 using Help) from the link I provided it should work by just left clicking on it as you would to install a pet.

It worked for me when I used it in Quirky unicorn v 6.2.1 and as I use SeaMonkey 2.40 on Precise 5.6 I doubt you need anything more.

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

Usually the mozilla based browser official builds are easy to install or update in most Puppies, but maybe something is missing in Werewolf-64. Thinking about it, you may find that BarryK distros are built without dbus and dbus-glib and his Seamonkey builds have dbus disabled so they work without. You could try to find those two packages in PPM. You will probably need to reboot. Then try the tarball again.
Oscar in England

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Apparently Quirky Werewolf is based on Ubuntu Wily. I finally did find a recent version of Firefox in the PPM Ubuntu-Wily main repository, that my bank accepted. So my immediate problem is solved. Still, I'd like to update SeaMonkey if that is at all feasible. I suppose Barry likes SeaMonkey but cut out a lot of stuff that he considered to be unnecessary, and the missing stuff is why it can't be updated.

ASD

#11 Post by ASD »

Flash,

My suggestion is a serious one and whilst I expect it to work for you, only you can prove or disprove it.
Attachments
SM.png
(151.91 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

ASD, I apologize for ignoring you. I assumed that since Werewolf is based on Ubuntu, debs wouldn't work. Turns out, they do. :oops:

I downloaded the AMD64 version of Seamonkey 2.40 from the website you linked to (a 50 MB file by the way) and it installed just fine in Quirky Werewolf 64. I'm using it right now.

Thanks. :D

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hello, Flash.

Just FYI (so you know for future reference) in 99% of cases, .deb packages will almost always install into any of the Ubuntu-based Pups, since the .deb format is the standard for Ubuntu.. In the rare instances where they won't, it's invariably because of Puppy's 'running as root' model, which some applications don't like.

Just need to make sure you get the appropriate version (either i386/i486/i686 for 32-bit, or amd64/x86_64 for 64-bit.)

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:No joy. I overwrote the seamonkey symlink with the seamonkey directory containing 2.40, but the result was the same. Somehow bash can't see the seamonkey file in /usr/lib/seamonkey even though I can see that it is there, but apparently bash sees the seamonkey file in the seamonkey-2.39 directory.

Why are browsers so hard to update? I can use Firefox or Chrome if I could find a .pet or Ubuntu package. Where can I find Ubuntu packages, anyway? They don't seem to be in Werewolf's package manager.
Check where /usr/bin/seamonkey and /usr/bin/mozilla are pointing to.

/usr/bin/seamonkey should be a symlink to /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey, but you could have done something that changed that.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]