How to run rpm and deb programs?

Booting, installing, newbie
Freyfrey

How to run rpm and deb programs?

#1 Post by Freyfrey »

There is one bit of software I am sorely missing. On my Win computer I have a clipboard manager that saves the last 500 snippets. I find this essential. I have found both rpm and deb packages that seem to fit the bill. Both are now 'installed' on Puppy (using unrpm and undeb). Now how do I get them to run? Can anyone point me to the instructions?

I've searched all over. You have no idea how hard it is to find information if you are not even sure you are asking the right questions. I'd love to see a simple glossary somewhere too--I know they exist for in general for Linux. But I am finding each distro has its own vernacular. Maybe it exists too and I haven't found the right direction. :?

vanchutr

#2 Post by vanchutr »

You can download two .pup. One is unrpmfull.pup and the last one is undeb.pup.
When you install these pup on your comp. Please read the usage' instructions. (After installation, in Rox- your only click on .rpm pack. That's all).
(So You can run these programs in rxvt console)

pg99

#3 Post by pg99 »

Take a look here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HintAndTips

at the bottom where its called "How to let firefox run at start up" - the principle is the same for any other apps - just substitute the command for your apps instead of firefox (I assume you know what they're called :wink: ) and if you want to run more than 1 app, just add another line.

hth
Phil

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

what are the 2 programs? usually programs install an executable in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. or if you've got them installed elsewhere, you can run the executable with:
./name_of executable . if it doesn't run, it could be due to missing library files. doing:
ldd name_of_executable will show you the program's library dependencies. if the program works OK, you can drag it onto the desktop to execute it from there, or modify /root/.jwmrc to include it in the start menu.