puppy lives!

Promote Puppy !
musher0

#21 Post by musher0 »

[quote="learnhow2code"][/quote]The title of this is "yuk in reverse", yes?
No icon, I'm serious.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

learnhow2code

#22 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote:
learnhow2code wrote:
The title of this is "yuk in reverse", yes?
No icon, I'm serious.
one of my major pet peeves is people that express hate for something without a single justification-- obviously this is a matter of personal taste-- OR specifics, OR useful suggestions; any one of these would be more helpful.

why is that a pet peeve? because if i take any interest in fixing it it, im supposed to GUESS what you hate about it, and then start just experimenting to see what you DONT hate?

i guess its not entirely useless feedback, at least i know one person hates it. but if you feel that strongly, perhaps you could i dunno, give me some kind of practical information to work with. just saying.

i didnt make it, but i do like it. i dont expect everyone to, heck-- do you even care about the pup/distro/script that goes with it, or just hate the boot screen? because a) the name is getting changed, b) the boot screen is getting redone and c) if you dont boot it, the boot screen will only bother you if you open this thread.

the old version (based closely on the puppy tahr boot screen) actually MOVES on the screen, because the contrasting lines of the original are so close together. but i dont think anyone focused on it long enough to worry about that-- i didnt, even when i was editing it.

but hey, to each his own.

Sailor Enceladus

#23 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

musher0 wrote:
learnhow2code wrote:
The title of this is "yuk in reverse", yes?
No icon, I'm serious.

Pete

#24 Post by Pete »

.... :D
Attachments
WTR-.jpg
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

musher0

#25 Post by musher0 »

Ok guys. Enough!

I had no idea my comment would "take off in the media".

I do not like the wallpapers with the hexagons (or are those octagons?) in them,
neither one of them. My apologies to Pete.

Apologies also to learnhow2code: I don't know why I dislike connected ????gons
and I have no money to go in psycho-analysis to understand why and then explain it
to him. ;)

I apologize for the non-joke on "refractory" and for not having tested "the distro
that comes with it".

Finally, I apologize for apologizing. (How Canadian, eh?)

@Salior : yuk in reverse is kuy. :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

learnhow2code

#26 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote:Apologies also to learnhow2code: I don't know why I dislike connected ????gons
and I have no money to go in psycho-analysis to understand why and then explain it
to him. ;)
i just thought you had a reason. it certainly helped with the thing about development-- ah, its alright. you dont have to like it (i guess...)
Finally, I apologize for apologizing. (How Canadian, eh?)
no its alright, i was looking for something practical, not a penitent heart. im willing to call a truce right now, but all bets are off if you start apologizing for apologizing for apologizing. (though i guess thats something only a canadian hacker would do...)

8Geee

#27 Post by 8Geee »

I've been with puppy since 2013 (Slacko5.5XL). Is this distro great or what?!?!

Frees up my SSD type HDD for storage, runs fast enough in a netbook, and I can find my way to keep these netbooks goin 8 years later. After running Puppy, even 5.5XL (about the size of W98-2) looks, well, fat.

Lean and busy, and umm err purrrrring like a cat. 8)
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

learnhow2code

#28 Post by learnhow2code »

8Geee wrote:I've been with puppy since 2013 (Slacko5.5XL). Is this distro great or what?!?!
we have similar interests and different solutions, but youre right anyway.

one of my main interests is rejuvenating old sw and hw-- the latter likes older sw and the former (by definition) is newer sw. but having used puppy on a p4 (and older) 10 years ago, im amazed how fast it has continued to run.
Frees up my SSD type HDD for storage, runs fast enough in a netbook, and I can find my way to keep these netbooks goin 8 years later.
i use a netbook often, with the iso linked in the sig-- ive never found anything faster than running with icewm (unless its puppy.) a lot of the things i do with other distros i learned from using puppy-- low-resource wm, frugal/squashfs, and run in ram. some of the apps i use are lighter (i like gdmap and mtpaint) and some are not-- i like gimp and libreoffice. while other distros have abandoned the things that make them special, puppy has not. its actually improved.