how many puppy users are there in 2016?

Promote Puppy !

how many puppy users are there?

Poll ended at Sun 01 Jan 2017, 05:16

i am a puppy user
97%
i am not a puppy user (if you want to be counted on here anyway)
3%

Total votes: 68

Pete

#41 Post by Pete »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:.....Looks like I got used to it and now it has won me over.
Looks like we have lost another one to the evil Dr Rox. :D

It's an interesting point you bring up Sailor Enceladus, do people generally favour auto resizing versus static?

Perhaps others will chime in here with their preference.
I personally don't like auto resize as it's too distracting having this window
all over the place but that is only my feeling.

Can I still have my cookie now? :D

learnhow2code

#42 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete wrote:I personally don't like auto resize as it's too distracting
fig os 0.9 (with its very sexy boot screen) now has rox. unfortunately rox is located at /usr/local/apps/rox instead of /usr/local/bin/rox :( but thats ok because none of the config files (like the ones that say what .mp4 opens with) are included yet.

oh, and resize is still the default.

but you know whats the worst thing? its way too responsive. so responsive, youre like "what did it do?" on a p4 that was ok, but these days i want in a window manager the responsiveness i get from rox, and i want in a file manager the responsiveness i would expect from say, openbox.

Pete

#43 Post by Pete »

Is the wallpaper equally as sexy?
:D

6502coder

#44 Post by 6502coder »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Going from a giant folder to one with 2 files and it adjusting is nice
Exactly. It drives me NUTS that Windows Explorer doesn't auto-resize.

jlst

#45 Post by jlst »

99% of new users don't like rox filer, that's the truth... because they haver never used something as wacky before..

musher0

#46 Post by musher0 »

jlst wrote:99% of new users don't like rox filer, that's the truth... because they haver never used something as wacky before..
Yep. This is Linux, my WhineDose friends, get used to "wacky"!!! :D :twisted:

As for me, I now love the ROX-Filer! Couldn't live without it!
Although the learning curve was steep in the beginning.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

learnhow2code

#47 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete wrote:Is the wallpaper equally as sexy?
:D
sort of, its totally "naked" of wallpaper. i could put the desktop in a little thong...

then again, its technically a puppy.

a puppy in a thong just doesnt seem right.

jlst

#48 Post by jlst »

musher0 wrote:Yep. This is Linux, my WhineDose friends, get used to "wacky"!!! :D :twisted:

As for me, I now love the ROX-Filer! Couldn't live without it!
Although the learning curve was steep in the beginning.

BFN.
Yeah i can use it, but i can't do much with it. However as you can see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... bad747386b, defaultarchiver replaces pupzip, and pupzip is now completely optional (this script runs xarchive).

What happens is that in puppy some apps are hardcoded, for someone who wants to use an alternative app in a "normal" way, they to have overwrite stuff. Unfortunately rox is hardcoded everywhere and with specific switches that forces developers to overwrite and edit files to get a proper alternative file manager working as the "default", but i'll do my best to make rox "optional" by default.

jlst

#49 Post by jlst »

There is also a misunderstanding here.. being a linux user doesn't mean people will get used to rox.. that's absurd. the vast majority of linux users use a Windows-like file manager... yes, 2 panels, and mountable drives on the left panel.

That's the sad truth hehe.

Sailor Enceladus

#50 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@jlst: I gotta agree with musher0. Barry chose what he did for excellent reasons, and that is what makes puppy great. You are stuck in your "two panels" way, and that is fine for you, but that doesn't mean Rox is crippled, you're just not using it right! ;)

jlst

#51 Post by jlst »

For the reasons i explained, many people will see that puppy boots everywhere but will consider it a "handicapped" distro for extreme cases, or a rescue cd/usb.

Then they will accidentally find out about lxpup, the x-pups, and will probably think, wow, i never thought this was a reality hahaha. But by then, about 100 out 101 users would have already switched to a full distro or something else.

learnhow2code

#52 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:For the reasons i explained, many people will see that puppy boots everywhere but will consider it a "handicapped" distro for extreme cases, or a rescue cd/usb.

Then they will accidentally find out about lxpup, the x-pups, and will probably think, wow, i never thought this was a reality hahaha. But by then, about 100 out 101 users would have already switched to a full distro or something else.
still on the fence about this. despite being/sounding very opinionated, i actually like to try to keep an open perspective about as many things as possible (i often switch the way im focused on problems and solutions. though i can be pretty consistent about something too.)

personally i dont want to use rox, but i understand its popularity over the entire time puppys been around. if it wasnt called puppy linux, it would probably be called rox linux.

its not that i find it curious that someone would hate rox-- just that they would love puppy and hate rox. when i used puppy every day my hw was slower, and rox was the best. i wonder if the reason people are outgrowing it is that their hw is too fast, not because its ugly and weird. but this is just a guess. how many rox-haters are there here? i know theres a few (and im using the term in jest) but im curious.

Sailor Enceladus

#53 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

learnhow2code

#54 Post by learnhow2code »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Good question. I'll start a poll
its a good poll. ive already taken it ot by asking how you would know it was puppy if it didnt have rox :(

musher0

#55 Post by musher0 »

Hello, learnhow2code and all.

Back to the original question:

Have you seen this? Peebee is offering some interesting stats concerning his
LXPup in his initial post, here: LxPup has been downloaded by a little over
159,000 users
, as of this writing.

It's a shame we don't have similar stats available for all breeds and flavors of
Puppy. I wouldn't be surprised if we had over two millions users globally in total.

It should be noted, my Puppyist friends, that Puppy has achieved such expansion
through basically what I call "word of mouth" (forums, Linux online articles and
in-print magazines, etc.), without any official publicity like the major OS's have.

Imagine what could happen if the Puppy Foundation had a bit of money for a
proper publicity campaign.

(Tough, Anikin!) :) ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

learnhow2code

#56 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote:Have you seen this? Peebee is offering some interesting stats concerning his
LXPup in his initial post, here: LxPup has been downloaded by a little over
159,000 users
, as of this writing.
thats truly fantastic. i am also a fan of lxde, having just added the filemanager (pcmanfm) to fig os-- but also, lxde is usually the first thing i would recommend to the "everyday user."

sure xfce has more features and is worth consideration, but lxde is much faster and the features are almost on par.
It's a shame we don't have similar stats available for all breeds and flavors of
Puppy.
I wouldn't be surprised if we had over two millions users globally in total.
i would. it depends on how many gnu/linux users you think there are, minus android.
It should be noted, my Puppyist friends, that Puppy has achieved such expansion
through basically what I call "word of mouth" (forums, Linux online articles and
in-print magazines, etc.), without any official publicity like the major OS's have.
not sure what you mean. puppys had major "grassroots" advocacy both on and off the forum, but when i think of "official publicity" i think of exactly the sort of in-print and online tech articles youre referring to. i suppose we classify those differently.
Imagine what could happen if the Puppy Foundation had a bit of money for a
proper publicity campaign.
im not sure thats what puppy really wants. i mean it would likely be fine, but the "props" debian is now getting from microsoft is pretty unfortunate imo.
(Tough, Anikin!)
youre assuming he prefers puppy to have no users or few users. any guess has a chance of being right perhaps, but i think youre more likely putting words in his mouth. i sincerely doubt he wakes up, finds that puppy has new users and says to himself: "thats too bad."

bravo to lxpup-- that is a LOT of downloads.

anikin

#57 Post by anikin »

Just a quick look at the recent poll results:

syslinux vs grub4dos vs grub2
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=105989
Total Votes : 39

What do you think about Rox?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107684
Total Votes : 41

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107569
Total Votes : 49

The total vote numbers are pretty much consistent with my theory, that this is not a healthy community. Have a look at this forum. Where are all those thousands and thousands of mythical Puppy users? Why don't they join this forum and participate in the discussion? I guess, they're too busy watching the sunset ...

learnhow2code

#58 Post by learnhow2code »

anikin wrote:The total vote numbers are pretty much consistent with my theory, that this is not a healthy community. Have a look at this forum. Where are all those thousands and thousands of mythical Puppy users? Why don't they join this forum and participate in the discussion?
measuring the health of the community by its active membership (the way youre doing) is a mistake. puppy is in some ways, a niche distro probably becoming more of one-- but thats not necessarily the case, and not necessarily a bad thing if its true.

despite its (openly admitted) lack of accuracy, distrowatch and downloads DO say more than the active forum members. youre not even counting the 90-9-1 ratio, which is pretty realistic for almost any forum (as a place to start.) if you just count the number of people working on woof and multiply that by 90, thats at least 100s.

you are trying to measure health without a convincing model of what health would be. this frees you to say pretty much anything arbitrary is a "bad sign" for puppy. i wont go so far as to say the number of forum members "doesnt matter," just that it has very little relevance to any claim youre making (other than "there arent a lot of forum members.") youre not quantifying anything, just sticking two data points together and saying "ooh, this is bad."

bad how? bad the way you say it is? a circular argument, in other words. you need to flesh out your argument to make it have substance. why not start with why it matters to you-- at least that will give us some clue as to what the rest of your criteria is, since there isnt enough to go on that youve shared with us so far. we can count the active forum users ourselves. either because we dont get it or because youre mistaken, it doesnt say as much to us as it says to you-- feel free to help us out-- tell us more if there is more.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
There are people out to sell Linux, but they are very much the minority.
Linux is not interested in market share. Linux does not have customers. Linux does not have shareholders, or a responsibility to the bottom line. Linux was not created to make money. Linux does not have the goal of being the most popular and widespread OS on the planet.

All the Linux community wants is to create a really good, fully-featured, free operating system. If that results in Linux becoming a hugely popular OS, then that's great. If that results in Linux having the most intuitive, user-friendly interface ever created, then that's great. If that results in Linux becoming the basis of a multi-billion dollar industry, then that's great.

It's great, but it's not the point.
if puppy were windows, then windows would be in serious trouble.

if puppy is windows, you really need to let us know-- more likely you are committing the very common fallacy of comparing significantly different things using criteria that is unfittingly similar-- also known as conflation.

strictly for fun, i will answer your circular argument with a circular argument:

where are the puppy users, what are they doing instead of using the forum?

using puppy, of course!

Sailor Enceladus

#59 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

anikin wrote:Just a quick look at the recent poll results:

syslinux vs grub4dos vs grub2
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=105989
Total Votes : 39

What do you think about Rox?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107684
Total Votes : 41

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107569
Total Votes : 49

The total vote numbers are pretty much consistent with my theory, that this is not a healthy community. Have a look at this forum. Where are all those thousands and thousands of mythical Puppy users? Why don't they join this forum and participate in the discussion? I guess, they're too busy watching the sunset ...
I'm cool with that. Like I said in another thread, Quality > Quantity, and this forum is full of quality members. :D ;)

dancytron

#60 Post by dancytron »

If Puppy wasn't healthy, then there wouldn't have been any meaningful development after Barry retired. The last usable version would be Precise 5.71.

That isn't the case at all. Since Barry retired, the two official branches, Slacko and Ubuntu flavor of the month have continued forward and both branches also have usable 64 bit versions now. There are substantially improved in many ways from Barry's last version in many ways. Also, there are active variations and experiments going on (LXpup, Debian Dog etc etc).

Lack of people posting on the forum is probably due at least in part because most users download Puppy, install it, and either don't need any help or are able to search the forum and find what they need without registering and posting.