Vlc not working in Tahrpup. It loads and disappears quickly

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

Vlc not working in Tahrpup. It loads and disappears quickly

#1 Post by wert »

Hi! I am running tahrpup 6.0.2 updated. When I click vlc in menu it loads and disappears in a second. I have tried to type and enter 'vlc' in terminal but it does the same thing. The only way I can open media files is via the sea-monkey browser if vlc plug-in is enabled. I have tried doing fsck on the puppy save-file using a puppy live boot but it says the file system is clean even with fsck -f meaning that the fs isn’t the problem. Any help is appreciated

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Is qt4 loaded.
Last edited by smokey01 on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

Try running vlc in a terminal and see what's reported.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, wert.

I tend to agree with Smokey on this one. I remember having this same problem in the early days with Puppy, 2 years ago. The first Pup that really worked properly for me was the original Tahr 6.0, but I was very hard on the poor thing, and broke it so often, I was constantly re-installing. Which meant I was often doing a 'rush' job.

How have you installed it? I found out, quite early on, that the only way to do the job correctly was through the PPM. If you install any of the packages from the 'Additional Software' sub-forum (where there's a wealth of material, it's true), you only get the package.....not the dependencies.

If you took advantage of the Quickpet feature (brilliant idea!), you only got the package.....not the dependencies.

If you want VLC to run correctly, you gotta install it through the PPM.....because it will pull the dependencies in that are needed. And without QT, VLC ain't gonna run!

The only VLC I ever found that would run simply by installing was a standalone package, compiled by OscarTalks.....because he'd packaged it with all required dependencies in a totally self-contained SFS. It's still available from Oscar's Smokey repo.....from here. And although it was packaged with Slacko 570 in mind, I've found it will run in many other Pups.....simply because it is self-contained.

Otherwise, track VLC down through your PPM. It will work that way, trust me.

Hope that helps!

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

sfs VLC is only 13MB..

#5 Post by Pelo »

sfs VLC is only 13MB... downloaded in my tool case. Merci Mike Walsh. And Smokey01
vlc: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' needed

wert

Re: sfs VLC is only 13MB..

#6 Post by wert »

Pelo wrote:sfs VLC is only 13MB... downloaded in my tool case. Merci Mike Walsh. And Smokey01
vlc: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' needed
Even after installing the sfs there's no difference

wert

#7 Post by wert »

smokey01 wrote:Try running vlc in a terminal and see what's reported.
root# vlc
VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-0-g2a072be)
[0x8f65150] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x9006400] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the qt4 plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[0x9006400] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate qt4 dialogs provider
[0x9006400] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
>

wert

#8 Post by wert »

I don't know why they decided to use vlc instead of the more steady mplayer which is in all other puppies. What a crazy idea. And it's also slow and resource intensive. Tahr doesn't need that please

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

VLC is included in the TahrPup .iso so should be working.
One thing though is to make sure you upgrade to 6.0.5 or at least do all the updates which hopefully will achieve the same thing.
The terminal messages suggest a problem with the Qt libraries
But these are also included in the TahrPup .iso so again should all be OK out of the box.

If there is a problem with VLC the first thing to do is investigate if you have installed something which perhaps has overwritten the Qt libraries with some other ones which are incompatible.

The debate about VLC versus MPlayer is largely a personal preference thing. I like both so often like to have both on board so I can see how I feel or if a file doesn't play in one I can try the other. I have a version of MPlayer with GUI which I compiled in TahrPup here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/mplayer- ... 6-tahr.pet
This has static ffmpeg libraries included so plays lots of formats and does not need Qt
Oscar in England

wert

#10 Post by wert »

OscarTalks wrote:VLC is included in the TahrPup .iso so should be working.
One thing though is to make sure you upgrade to 6.0.5 or at least do all the updates which hopefully will achieve the same thing.
The terminal messages suggest a problem with the Qt libraries
But these are also included in the TahrPup .iso so again should all be OK out of the box.

If there is a problem with VLC the first thing to do is investigate if you have installed something which perhaps has overwritten the Qt libraries with some other ones which are incompatible.

The debate about VLC versus MPlayer is largely a personal preference thing. I like both so often like to have both on board so I can see how I feel or if a file doesn't play in one I can try the other. I have a version of MPlayer with GUI which I compiled in TahrPup here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/mplayer- ... 6-tahr.pet
This has static ffmpeg libraries included so plays lots of formats and does not need Qt
Just what I needed. I tired installing mplayer from ppm but the GUI when playing a video hides the video window so I've had to use the command line.
Regarding possible overwritten Qt libraries, that's actually a point that makes me wonder why they chose it if it uses qt which many other software may overwrite e.g. keepassx. Would that mean that I sacrificing using an important app due to vlc? c'mon man just a media player and they decided to use that complex thing. I think it's really wierd for puppy linux. The browser addon 'VLC Web Plugin' is way more stable only that it doesn't have the features available in the traditional GUI. I think a better solution when making tahrpup would have been to simply develop 'VLC Web Plugin' to include playlist feature and sound preferences. That would have been more puppy thinking and innovative not to mention efficient mindset since It's even faster than mplayer and works flawless.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@wert:-

If all you want to do is to be able to play your media (and are not concerned with applying fancy effects, or pulling all sorts of fancy 'stunts' with it), might I suggest trying Gxine?

I've been trying to find a more lightweight media player for use throughout my 'kennels', and I've been pretty impressed with how good it is. I always used to be a staunch VLC user, until I realised just how much RAM it actually uses. I've used SMPlayer for quite a while.....but you need to have MPlayer installed for that anyway, since SMPlayer is just a prettier 'front-end' for it.

Gxine uses the 'libxine' audio-video library for all its requirements, although there can be other libs'n'stuff required, depending on the Pup in question (Gxine is essentially a GTK+ 'front-end' for libxine). You should be able to install this directly from the Tahr PPM, although you may find (as I have) that in the 'buntu package it won't start, since the sym-link from /usr/share/applications to /usr/share/gxine is broken.....so I modified the .desktop entry to point directly to the gxine executable in /usr/bin. Then it'll run.....or should do.

I've built my own self-contained package of Gxine, with everything needed for it to run, based on the Precise Gxine-0.5.905 package. Currently I have this running in Slackos 560 & 570, and Upup Raring; it runs well.

If you might like to give it a try, you can find it here, at my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iq7qvgb9r ... l-i686.pet

Entirely up to you, of course.

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

VLC AND Mplayer are really not the most stable of software. I watch lots of videos and have NEVER had so many software and system crashes using any other software. VLC crashes on my windows and puppy systems under heavy use.

Mayou

VLC ok for me

#13 Post by Mayou »

VLC ok for me. I was looking how to modify contents. Just click at the top
Attachments
vlc.jpg
Pictures however don't show.
(106.94 KiB) Downloaded 108 times