grub rescue> error no such device ae5c...

Booting, installing, newbie
instruse

grub rescue> error no such device ae5c...

#1 Post by instruse »

Hi,

I downloaded from:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... _noPAE.iso

burned a CD and installed in Asus EEE PC 901.

This netbook has two SSD flash memory (ASUS -PHISON SSD) one of 4.0 GB (master - sda) and another with 8.GB (slave - sdb).

I installed first in the 8GB drive (sdb) to take advantage of the larger space but during the boot appears the message:

errof no such device: ae5c ...
grub rescue>

I thought the problem was caused by having done the installation on the slave disk, then
I tried to do a new installation in 4GB disk (sda) but appeared the same message.

what am I doing wrong?

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Instruse

ally

#2 Post by ally »

it may help to explain in detail what you have done

usb, cd?

how you have made the install etc etc

:)

instruse

#3 Post by instruse »

Hi ally,

I burned iso image "tahr-6.0.5_noPAE.iso" in CD and booted using a cd reader at USB.

Then I clicked "install" and selected the device for installation.

I ran gparted, removed the existing partition, created new ext3 partition occupying all space, not create swap, activated the boot flag and continued the installation slecting "mbr.bin" as the boot loader.

I repeated this procedure for the three devices available in the EEE PC:
sda (4GB flash -PHISON ASUS SSD), sdb (8GB flash -PHISON ASUS SSD) and sdc (removable SD Card 8GB).

When did the installation on sda and sdb appears the boot message:

errof no such device: ae5c ...
grub rescue>

And when I try to install the sdc only the cursor is blinking and don't appear the grub error.

Thanks for your attention,
Instruse

ally

#4 Post by ally »

all sounds ok apart from
I repeated this procedure for the three devices available in the EEE PC:
not sure what you mean here, you only need the boot loader on the hdd with the install

are you doing a frugal or full install?

instruse

#5 Post by instruse »

Hi ally,

I made attempts to install puppy in 3 devices available: sda, sdb and sdc.

I imagine that when I select to install in sda the bootloader is written in sda, when I install at sdb then the bootloader is written in sdb and when I select scd, the bootloader is recorded at sdc.

Right?

I made several attempts selecting the device : Internal -> IDE / SATA Flash drive (eg CF card, SD memory card) and tried different bootloaders: mbr.bin, sys-nopart.mbr, mbrfat.bin and spb2_mbr.bin.

But continued the same problem with grub.

I didn't see the option to install frugal, just full.

Thanks for your attention,
Instruse

ally

#6 Post by ally »

ok

download a copy of the tahrpup iso to flash drive

boot from cd

reformat drive

set boot flag

create folder on first hdd "tahrpup"

insert usb stick

click on iso file so it expands to show seperate (on usb stick)

copy all files from expanded ISO to tahrpup folder

click on ISO file again to close the expanded folder

[you have now done a frugal install]

remove usb stick

run grub4dos from system menu

reboot and remove cd

all done

sounds complicated but takes about a minute, a frugal install is like a cd 'installed' to the hdd

this way you can put multiple pups on

good luck

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Boot from your LiveCD or LiveUSB disk. Reformat your target drive to ext3 with gparted. (...or ext4 if using a 6xx-series Pup.) MAKE SURE YOU SET THE BOOT FLAG. (Right click on the partition, "Manage Flags", click the entry for 'boot', done.)

Open your boot disk directory (/mnt/sdx1 for USB, where 'x' is the letter of the drive, or /mnt/sr0 for a CD). Copy, from it to your newly formatted boot drive, the three or four files with names as follow -- vmlinuz initrd.gz puppy_vvvv_#.#.#.sfs zdrv_vvvv_#.#.#.sfs. The 'zdrv' file may or may not be there, hence the "three or four" comment before. vvvv is your Puppy series (precise, tahr, slacko, etc) and ### is the numerical version. So, for Precise Puppy 571 it would be puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs, and for TahrPup 6.0.5 (NOT TahrPup64) it would be puppy_tahr_6.0.5.sfs.

Once you've copied those files, install the grub4dos bootloader. Tell it to install to your Puppy drive of choice, check the boxes for "search only this device" and "single page menu".

Click through the various prompts. When you get to the box with an "Edit menu.lst" (menu dot list not menu dot first!), click it. Delete the "Safe Mode" boot option, you won't need it. Ditto for anything mentioning Windows that it stuck in there, as well as everything under "#additionals" EXCEPT reboot and halt (shutdown).

Next, you should have only two lines starting with "kernel /vmlinuz". Make sure that those llines contain the text (LOWERCASE AND WITHOUT QUOTES) "pmedia=ataflash". The first entry should also say "pfix=fsck", with the 'pmedia' statement in between it and the 'kernel /vmlinuz' statement (and, yes, that should be a z not an x). The second entry should also say "pfix=ram".

'pmedia=ataflash' tells Puppy to search for your OS on a solid-state disk of some sort, be it a real SSD or a media card (SD, CompactFlash, etc) in an adapter. If this were a mechanical ("platter") drive, you would use 'atahd' for that parameter. 'usbhd' would be an external such drive, while 'usbflash' would be a flash drive or an SD card in a reader, or an external SSD. There are also options for CD but I don't know them and have literally never needed them.

'pfix=fsck' makes Puppy run an integrity check and cleanup (fsck is not a misspelled swear word, however unlikely that seems -- it's an abbreviation for File System ChecK) at each boot. This will take a while! Particularly for moderately sized and larger disks -- but it's worth it -- you will have considerably less cause to post troubles here, because it eliminates a lot of those troubles right off the bat.

'pfix=ram' instructs Puppy to boot without persistence (all your saved files and settings) if you need it to. That's a secondary option -- think of it as a sort of 'System Restore' option that doesn't nuke your disk in the process of fixing the OS. Nothing personal, but the usual cause of system problems is user error -- i.e. you tinkered with something you shouldn't have tinkered with (I've been quite guilty of this on numerous occasions, myself)... 'RAM Mode' as we call it, sets your OS back to the condition of a fresh install. The beauty of this is that, since it doesn't nuke your stuff the way That Other Operating System does, you can recover those files much more easily. If you're using a savefile (please, use a folder if you can, it makes this even easier!) you can mount that savefile as if it were a drive and copy your stuff over before killing it. You'll have to redo all your settings, but at least you (probably) won't lose any files.

A note on 'mounting'. Don't think about drives or volumes or whatever. Think about *filesystems*. That's all Linux really cares about, anyways. 'Mounting' is the process of making an external (meaning, not residing at / ) filesystem usable by attaching it to a part of Linux that lets it be used. Usually this filesystem will indeed be on a drive. Sometimes, however (as in the case of the savefile) it's not. There's also the concept of "RAMdrives" -- using RAM as if it were a little hard drive. Obviously this doesn't work over multiple sessions if you cut the power unexpectedly, or don't provide it a place to write to for persistence -- but it's a nifty idea and it's integral, actually, to how Puppy works. "The more you know..."

I hope my little wall o' text here helps you out. Feel free to ask more questions of me (or anyone else here) -- we may be Puppians, but we don't bite, I promise ;)

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Asus EEE PC 901
For EEE PC's you are going to have best luck trying to use a Puppy made for the EEE PC.

This is one of the latest.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102091
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

instruse

#9 Post by instruse »

Hi Friends,

As the EEE PC does not have a conventional HD but an SSD, my first choice as a destination for installation was the device:

Internal IDE / SATA Flash drive (eg CF card, SD memory card)

And when trying to install at this device did not appear the option to install grub4dos.

So after several attempts I decided try to install at another device:
Internal (IDE or SATA) hard drive.

With this second option appeared the option to install grub4dos and then I could install and boot the machine.

I found it strange because this machine does not have a conventional HD, but it worked.

Does anyone know why?

Later I will try to make a second installation on SSD card.

Many thanks,
Instruse
Attachments
tela_01.png
(31.4 KiB) Downloaded 559 times

ally

#10 Post by ally »

well done for persevering, glad it work out, somebody clever will be along soon with an answer

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

As the EEE PC does not have a conventional HD but an SSD,
The SSD is working as the internal hard drive. In fact it is probably hooked to the same connection the hard drive would use.
The Universal installer probably needs a little update to say internal (IDE or SATA) Hard drive or SSD.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Installed to Internal IDE / SATA Flash drive (eg CF card, SD memory card)
If still installed to one of these.
At Boot-up see if the bios boot device options offers this device as an option to boot from.
If yes.
Select it and see what happens?
YaPI(any iso installer)