How to use HP officejet pro 6830 in Precise Puppy? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Walt52

How to use HP officejet pro 6830 in Precise Puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by Walt52 »

I have an HP officejet pro 6830 that I was able to make work OK in Ubuntu, but now Ubuntu is toast and I'm trying to get Precise to work. I've downloaded and apparently installed an hlip driver, but have no idea which application to use. "No run action specified for files of this type. . .you can set a run action". . .etc, etc. There's supposed to be a pet that installs and makes another driver go, but my PPM can't find it.

As for the CUPS site. . .if I were a serious geek it might make sense to me. But that's why I'm here on the bunny slope. . .
Last edited by Walt52 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Walt.

Personally, I've always used Epsons, but our printer guru you want to talk to is Bill, better known as rcrsn51. If anybody can help you, he can.

Have you had a look at the general printer thread, here?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015

There's a lot of useful stuff there; you just gotta be prepared to plough your way through it.....it's quite a long thread by now!

Mike. :wink:

Walt52

#3 Post by Walt52 »

Thanks, Mike. I went to the link you showed, and tried CUPS again (this time as "administrator" (ME??? Administrator???)), and found a screen to search for the printer, turned it on, plugged it in, and it APPEARED to find and load it. Went through the print instructions, and ran into another wall: I was sent to "PDF Writer", and asked where I wanted to SAVE the page. No, I want to PRINT it! What now?

Walt52

#4 Post by Walt52 »

Oh wait. "CUPS/PDF" is the default printer, and that's why I ended up with the save option. Switched to the HP printer :lol: and ptui! out the printed page came. Thanks again!

Walt52

#5 Post by Walt52 »

This should say "Solved", but I can't remember how to do that. This works better than Ubuntu ever did: margins are correct and the color works! Plus I really like Puppy People: Mozilla is getting too corporate!

mostly_lurking

#6 Post by mostly_lurking »

Walt52 wrote:This should say "Solved", but I can't remember how to do that.
If I'm not mistaken, this is done by editing the subject line of your first post.