Quantum Computing, done right...

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
starhawk

Quantum Computing, done right...

#1 Post by starhawk »

http://hackaday.com/2016/08/14/ion-trap ... -computer/

Eat yer heart out, gc :P five qubits ain't much, but it's something...

Also, yes, despite the name, Hackaday is a reliable news source for this sort of thing. "Hacking" doesn't mean popping open Granny's bank account... not in the sense that they (and I) use it, at least. That word, properly, is "cracking". "Hacking" is more along the lines of mucking around with either hardware or software, making it do things it was not designed to do, for fun. That's not a precise definition, nor is it entirely accurate, but it's the best I can do without erecting a massive wall of text.

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

article wrote:The strength of quantum computing is the massive parallelism that is possible.
Darn, so it won't play my Dosbox games any faster. The whole "quantum computing" thing is not very useful for me then.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Ooh, I like DOS games :lol: just curious, what are your favorites?

I used to play Tyrian (downward scrolling shooter) and Day Of the Tentacle, but I've beaten neither -- and I haven't played anything in a really long time.

I also love the Myst series of games. By the way -- if you like them too, go looking for the RHEM series of games. The graphics and sound are not that great, but they're all made, single-handedly, by one guy in... Sweden I think (I don't remember for sure) who got picked up by Got Game Entertainment and is literally living his dream of having a successful Myst clone (series!) in the hands of the general public. I beat the first one, once. I have the next three but I've yet to finish any of them :oops:

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

You can't talk about Dos gaming without talking about DOOM. DOOM is one of my favorite DOS games out there. Also Duke Nukem 3D is an awesome game.

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Was Wolfenstein DOS?
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Apple II, originally. There were ports to DOS, 8bit Atari, and C64.

bark_bark_bark

#7 Post by bark_bark_bark »

8Geee wrote:Was Wolfenstein DOS?
You mean Wolfenstein 3d? Yes that was a DOS game.
starhawk wrote:Apple II, originally. There were ports to DOS, 8bit Atari, and C64.
I assume 8Geee was referring to Wolfenstein 3d which is for DOS and Mac.

Geoffrey

#8 Post by Geoffrey »

starhawk wrote:I used to play Tyrian
opentyrian.pet
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

I have a copy ;) I'm the one who originally requested it on this forum...

I confess, I played it once till I got blown up, and IIRC that was the end of that. Disappointing, I know... I seem to have other, more urgent-seeming (but not necessarily more important) things occupying my time... I'm working on a novel, and I'm an artist as well... most of my time is spent drawing or writing...