Puli 32/64 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gjuhasz

Re: Chrome Issue

#181 Post by gjuhasz »

tirdoldog wrote:@gjuhasz: I really like puli. I have used fatdog in multi-session mode and puli seems like a more advantageous implementation of multisession concept in that its more customizable and easier to move/delete session stores. Nice job!
Dear tirdoldog,

Thank you for playing with Puli 6.0.5. See details in the first post.
Regarding chrome, every version up to and including 34-0-1847-116_i386 works perfectly on my laptop but all newer versions won't run. Because this version is 2+ years old I have opted for FF plus noscript which is working fine for me both as spot and root. I am not sure why newer chrome does not run but it is maybe either a memory problem (only have 750MB; also getting messages about segmentation errors if I recall correctly) or perhaps the requirements for newer chip extensions (for example I know pentium III is no longer supported in the newer chrome versions).
The latest Google Chrome builds do not include 32-bit Linux versions. This is why Puli 6.0.5 supports Iron, Slimjet, and Firefox. Also, the newer browsers (and other software in general) need more memory. Do you have the correct size of Linux swap partition? In your case, it should be 1.5 GB.
The point being in looking at your security profile scripts, they seem to be targeted at google chrome only in that I see no other browser mentioned therein. Am I correct? What limitations/restrictions are their regarding browser/security profile combinations?
No limitations in security profiles regarding Chrome (up to v48 although v34.0.1847.137 is the fastest one), Iron, SlimJet and Firefox. The Puli 6.0.5 install kit contains Iron and Firefox (with their flash plugins).
Based on the HTML5 video tests of http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/, it seems that Iron can handle more HTML5 codecs than Firefox or Slimjet.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

tirdoldog

#182 Post by tirdoldog »

Do you have the correct size of Linux swap partition?

No, I have avoided swap since I like being able to unmount/remove media when I'm on the net and I am using puli mainly for its security features. Other than Chrome, the only times I have had memory issues is when trying to load Libre Office or Wine from smartload or trying too many packages during smartload. After boot, if I go back and load them manually, they load so it seems to be a memory issue at boot. So its generally OK for my needs.
The 6.0.5 install kit contains Iron and Firefox (with their flash plugins).
So I would like to try this. As I indicated several posts above I am "booting" from an internal SD card and had to modify the 6.0.4 init. I looked around on your links but can not find any change logs. Did you make any changes to the init in 6.0.5? I am wondering if I can just drop the modified init into the 6.0.5 initrd.gz and done? ( Hoping you can save me some potential troubleshooting/testing time)

Belham

Re: Ransomware vs Puli

#183 Post by Belham »

gjuhasz wrote:
Sylvander wrote:
Second, after you booted Puli, unplug the pendrive as soon as Puli recommends this (i.e., before the network connection is established). It is an advantage if you boot Puli from a USB device with write protection switch - a simple SD card is good for this purpose.
Am I mistaken, or is this the only puppy that has ever actually had a "unplug your USB/Pendrive" notification upon bootup? I've been flinging puppies for about 8 years, and use quite a number of them, but I've never seen this feature?? Many of us have talked about exactly which point is it that we can unplug a few of the puppies---sadly, some puppies no longer can withstand this simple test of running fully in RAM mode and need the USB/Pendrive to remain plugged in in order to remain functioning.

gjuhasz

Using swap partition

#184 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear tirdoldog,
tirdoldog wrote:I have avoided swap since I like being able to unmount/remove media when I'm on the net and I am using puli mainly for its security features. Other than Chrome, the only times I have had memory issues is when trying to load Libre Office or Wine from smartload or trying too many packages during smartload. After boot, if I go back and load them manually, they load so it seems to be a memory issue at boot. So its generally OK for my needs.
I did not have a chance yet to test this idea but I am dare to propose creating a "virtual swap" on a(n auxiliary) USB pendrive.
Advantages:
  • 1. This way, the available memory will be about 3 times bigger, because no swap area is mapped in the memory by the system. For example, my laptop, with 8 GB RAM, provides only 1.3 GB memory for Puli when no swap is configured. In contrast, it allows 4 GB RAM with a well configured (but never used) swap on the hard disk.
    2. Adding any kind of swap is much better than applying workarounds such as swapoff, etc., because the system does not lock up but slows down when swapping becomes necessary. You can enjoy the difference with the (previously) critical amount of smartloaded apps.
I looked around on your links but can not find any change logs.
It's a pity but I did not have time for this yet. The list of new features is very long. But I try to assemble the list today or tomorrow (when I "officially" announce the new version) :( Sorry for the delay. I have too much children being on summer vacation :)
I am wondering if I can just drop the modified init into the 6.0.5 initrd.gz and done?
I am really eager to see your solution.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

gjuhasz

Re: Ransomware vs Puli

#185 Post by gjuhasz »

Dear Belham,
Belham wrote:Am I mistaken, or is this the only puppy that has ever actually had a "unplug your USB/Pendrive" notification upon bootup? I've been flinging puppies for about 8 years, and use quite a number of them, but I've never seen this feature? Many of us have talked about exactly which point is it that we can unplug a few of the puppies---sadly, some puppies no longer can withstand this simple test of running fully in RAM mode and need the USB/Pendrive to remain plugged in in order to remain functioning.
Maybe yes. Puli 6.0.5 and its predecessors: Puli 3.8.3 (from bark 1 to bark 6); Puli 6.0, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, and 6.0.4, all have "Now you can safely unplug the USB drive" notification upon bootup. :)

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

what is the password ?

#186 Post by Pelo »

what is the password ?
Puli installed multidrive.
Attachments
Puppypuli.jpg
Nice quatuor
(139.79 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.

gjuhasz

Re: what is the password ?

#187 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:what is the password? Puli installed multidrive.
The default password is root - you can change it any time as written in the first page of this forum thread.

I am wondering whether all features of Puli accept the multidrive installation.

Have fun!

Regards

gjuhasz[/i]

Pelo

elinks refused me to access my ADSL

#188 Post by Pelo »

Puli activated.. to be discovered. Seamonkey loaded on the fly, because elinks refused me to access my ADSL (everywhere, not only with Puli)
Puli is fast :!:
Save my work : tried smart save, nothing happened, waiting 5 minutes, i shut down my computer.

gjuhasz

Re: elinks refused me to access my ADSL

#189 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Puli activated.. to be discovered. Seamonkey loaded on the fly, because elinks refused me to access my ADSL (everywhere, not only with Puli)
Puli is fast :!:
Save my work : tried smart save, nothing happened, waiting 5 minutes, i shut down my computer.
Dear Pelo,
  • 1. Puli does not support Seamonkey but Chrome, Iron, Slimjet and Firefox. Means neither the auto-recognition nor the improved security features are configured for Seamonkey in the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser or in the /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer scripts. You can utilize the Firefox part and tailor it for Seamonkey, however.

2. Note that the smartsave feature consists of a set of scripts in the /smartsave folder. Take a look at the smartsave.default script there. Among other files, it saves the /root/my-documents folder and some network settings to the boot device. Other files can be added to the smartsave procedure by the related packages.
    For example, my Puli specific http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/SoftMaker-702p.pet package contains its own /smartsave/SoftMaker.smartsave file that looks like this:

Code: Select all

# This is a simple text file 
# The below lines will be executed during shutdown when you select "Save: smart" to /mnt/$bootdev in the shutdown dialog.  
# The goal is to save some session files, i.e., created documents, and/or downloaded files from /root/spot/Downloads, or even desktop setings. 
# FYI: the smart save function is initiated by the /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig file.
# The /mnt/$bootdev/smartsave.err file may contain error messages such as "failed to preserve ownership" or "No such file or directory" or "some files/attrs were not transferred" or "failed to get attributes". This is normal.

bootdev=`cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE |grep PUPSFS |cut -f1 -d "," |cut -f2 -d "'"` #please do not edit this line

# This is the smart save code for SoftMaker

rsync --update /root/SoftMaker/* /mnt/$bootdev/profiles/Common/root/SoftMaker
	cp -u --parents /var/local/softmaker/license-key-flag /mnt/$bootdev/profiles/Common/
	sync

# End of the smart save code for SoftMaker 
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

What i need is to learn saving system.

#190 Post by Pelo »

i took my dictionnary to translate to french. Seamonkey works well. What i need is to learn saving system. Perhaps you speak french, un petit peu ?

Belham

#191 Post by Belham »

gjuhasz wrote:
Pelo wrote:what is the password? Puli installed multidrive.
The default password is root - you can change it any time as written in the first page of this forum thread.

I am wondering whether all features of Puli accept the multidrive installation.

Have fun!

Regards

gjuhasz[/i]

Giuhasz,

Is it possible that you upload Puli 6.0.5 to smokey in an regular ISO format and NOT as a zip file install? I like, intensely dislike, zipfile functions for anything, especially ISOs. Before anything hits my system, I want it in a regular ISO format that does not have to be manipulated by my system other than burning that ISO straight to a CD, whereby I can test it in a pristine and secluded (off network) machine. Zip file downloads are, imho, simply not worth the headache and hassle of going through setting up a VM environment, just so you can un-zip them, then be able to inspect the ISO & its contents, running it to make sure there is no funny business, and then finally deleting the whole VM putting the ISO on a CD.

I would like to try to Puli, but as it exists for download (and verification), I have to pass for the reason stated above. Also, Smokey's download site has (within limits) the complete ability to host an ISO, as evidenced by all the other ISO files there---at least from what I can tell. Maybe I am a lone voice in this, but downloading an ISO as a zip file and even the "integrity" check of that ISO (in your case, the SHA---which is, incredibly, zipped too), is the exact opposite of practicing safe online habits.

Thanks for any consideration in unzipping all this stuff.

P.S. Ally, if you are reading this, did you happen to unzip gui's ISO and the SHA-check of it and then upload it to your fantastic repository for all of us? If so, I could not find it. I abhor any practice of any site today hosting linux system files using .zip archive files. For the most part, with broadband across much of the world, .zipping is useless and, worse, is a vehicle for infecting your system (and/or systems) needlessly (guihasz, please know I am not saying your files are full of infections!!)

gjuhasz

#192 Post by gjuhasz »

Belham wrote:Is it possible that you upload Puli 6.0.5 to smokey in an regular ISO format and NOT as a zip file install? I like, intensely dislike, zipfile functions for anything, especially ISOs. Before anything hits my system, I want it in a regular ISO format that does not have to be manipulated by my system other than burning that ISO straight to a CD, whereby I can test it in a pristine and secluded (off network) machine. Zip file downloads are, imho, simply not worth the headache and hassle of going through setting up a VM environment, just so you can un-zip them, then be able to inspect the ISO & its contents, running it to make sure there is no funny business, and then finally deleting the whole VM putting the ISO on a CD.
Dear Belham,

I understand your point. However, (and maybe this is my shame) I have never dealt with converting Puli to a VM-compatible ISO image - simply because Puli is intended to boot from a USB pendrive. To tell the truth, I have no clue about how the advantages / unique features of Puli could be demonstrated in a virtual environment.

I doubt that any kind of a newly configured, let's say, "virgin" virtual environment could be more convenient or more secure for testing Puli than a "pure" machine having only memory, keyboard and mouse without any hard disk - and after the USB boot device is physically disconnected.
Note that Puli does not touch the hard disks until the user mounts them and writes there manually. Other OSes on the hard disk are ignored by Puli, and they (including their viruses) are unable to recognize that this machine has ever booted with Puli while they were inactive.
I would like to try to Puli, but as it exists for download (and verification), I have to pass for the reason stated above. Also, Smokey's download site has (within limits) the complete ability to host an ISO, as evidenced by all the other ISO files there---at least from what I can tell. Maybe I am a lone voice in this, but downloading an ISO as a zip file and even the "integrity" check of that ISO (in your case, the SHA---which is, incredibly, zipped too), is the exact opposite of practicing safe online habits.

Thanks for any consideration in unzipping all this stuff.

P.S. Ally, if you are reading this, did you happen to unzip gui's ISO and the SHA-check of it and then upload it to your fantastic repository for all of us? If so, I could not find it. I abhor any practice of any site today hosting linux system files using .zip archive files. For the most part, with broadband across much of the world, .zipping is useless and, worse, is a vehicle for infecting your system (and/or systems) needlessly (guihasz, please know I am not saying your files are full of infections!!)
You are right, we bump into malicious content everywhere. But as far as I know, checking the sha256 sum is an adequate defense. Note that I also offer a Linux alternative for the installation. So, although I did not find any web reference to suspicious parts in the Windows based LiLi installer, we can use our own, trusted unpacking utility that does the same.

Despite of my above arguments, I am playing with ISO (plus ZIP) compliant installation methods for Puli, together with testing the wine-compatible sibling of LiLi: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/.

My only concern is that a Puli ISO file may tempt users to burn a bootable CD from it.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Pelo

Grub for windows XP computers

#193 Post by Pelo »

Grub for windows XP computers is outdated since Windows 7 replaces it since 2011. What is a danger is that sda1 is the boot sector, and a newbie will damn Puppy to have erased it, wishing to do a frugal instal in hard disk.
Tharpup has not this grub, sure sda1 is listed but other partitions too.
sda2 and sda3 are the partitions where to install Puppy on my hard disk.
My puppy is on sda3 Linux partition.
Attachments
grub.jpg
That is no good !
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Sailor Enceladus

#194 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Strange that your sda and sdb only show up as 465kB and 3kB Pelo. On a Windows 7 laptop I tried, sda shows up as 160GB. When I click on "Show PBS" at the bottom, it shows sda1 (vfat) as 196MB, sda2 (ntfs) as 147.8GB, and sda3 (ext4) as 995MB.

Pelo

French users erased sda1... and windows 7.

#195 Post by Pelo »

Yes i know, Sailor Enceladus , some Puppies are updated for computers bought with windows 7; some are not. (recent ones !)
Very dangerous, a newbies will be lost there, only sda1 for frugal install. French users erased sda1... and windows 7. One of them was named Pelo..
In fact yu don't erase windows 7 but the boot loader. But people trying Puppy Linux for the first time are lost for the eternity.
It is a dialogue with the devs, with the deaf equipped with old computers.
Puli should give some further information as Puli 6.0.4 is concerned.
Puli 3.8.3 (2013) grub shows full partitions sda, (GRUB4DOS version 1.8.0)
Bug is in Xenialpup :!: (Puli 6.04 is a derivative)
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Seamonkey not to be used ?

#196 Post by Pelo »

"1. Puli does not support Seamonkey but Chrome, Iron, Slimjet and Firefox. Means neither the auto-recognition nor the improved security features are configured for Seamonkey in the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser or in the /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer scripts. You can utilize the Firefox part and tailor it for Seamonkey, however. "
Ok so i will remove it. For test i downloaded Griffith from the PPM. All things get well, dependancies too (13MB)
Seamonkey not to be used ? Why ? Firefox will be ok, don't mind.
Elinks is a browser, really ?

gjuhasz

Re: Seamonkey not to be used ?

#197 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Seamonkey not to be used ? Why ? Elinks is a browser, really ?
As I wrote, neither the auto-recognition nor the improved security features are configured for Seamonkey in the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser or in the /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer scripts Note that additional browser specific scripts are called from there.
You can utilize the Firefox part and tailor it for Seamonkey, however.

Comments:
  • In the above text, "auto-recognition" means" that after clicking the browse desktop icon, Puli recognizes the highest priority browser among the installed ones and opens it as spot user. For example, Seamonkey can be opened only from the right-click menu and the user rights (root / spot) are based on the (Seamonkey specific) settings of the install package.

"Improved security features" means that Puli provides the built-in security profiles (mild, rigorous, crazy, lazy) for only the supported browsers.

No technical objections against Seamonkey as far as I know.

Elinks (more precisely, Links, see at http://links.twibright.com/) is a minimal-feature-set browser with graphical interface - its visualization reminds me to dillo. The main advantages come from its missing features: you can enjoy the quick response time, the missing advertisements and that it can display the blocked content of some websites :)
Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

tirdoldog

remember network printers

#198 Post by tirdoldog »

@gjuhasz: every time I boot I have to reinstall my network printers because of firewall interference. They work fine with the firewall once installed in CUPS but backups or smartsaves are no good for persistance. Do you have this problem? If not can you provide an example for me to use ? I have never manually edited a firewall and could use an example. Firewall genie is only good for one session so does not solve the problem of reinstallation.

gjuhasz

Re: remember network printers

#199 Post by gjuhasz »

tirdoldog wrote:every time I boot I have to reinstall my network printers because of firewall interference. They work fine with the firewall once installed in CUPS but backups or smartsaves are no good for persistance. Do you have this problem? If not can you provide an example for me to use ? I have never manually edited a firewall and could use an example. Firewall genie is only good for one session so does not solve the problem of reinstallation.
Dear tirdoldog,

Once you configured the firewall not to interfere with the network printer, you can copy the /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall script to the patch structure of your USB boot device as /patch/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
Alternatively, if you use your pendrive to boot multiple machines in different environments, you can configure "per-machine" firewalls for them. In this case, copy the per-machine tailored rc.firewall script(s) into the /env-<macaddress> folder(s) instead of the /patch folder.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

tirdoldog

Re: remember network printers

#200 Post by tirdoldog »

@gjuhasz: Thanks for the tip...seems to work now (':)')
(see PM)