Fatdog64-710 beta [28 August 2016] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

Fatdog64-710 beta [28 August 2016] [CLOSED]

#1 Post by fatdog »

James, Kirk and Jake (with a lot of help from Step) are happy to announce Fatdog-710 Beta.

Fatdog64-710 is a major update built from source, with new base packages, using a new build system.

There have been about 230 commits since the alpha release. So there's been a bit going on. The alpha release announcement can be found here.

Updates/additions:

guvcview-2.0.4
mdview-2016.06.17
yad-0.36.3
mtr-0.86
xorg-server-1.18.3
mesa-11.2.2
xf86-video-ati-7.7.0
xf86-video-intel-081816
seamonkey-2.40
vlc-2.2.4
transmision-2.92
urxvt-9.22
findnrun-2.3.0
multirename-1.8
openssl-1.0.2h
flash-player-11,2,202,632
engrampa-1.14.1 (replaces xarchiver)
rox-filer-jun7-08192016 (https://github.com/jun7/rox-filer)
pidgin-2.11.0
libbluray-0.9.3
libaacs-0.8.1
geany-1.28
gimp-2.8.18
posixovl-2015.03
wallpaper-setter-0.7.5.3
linux-4.4.18 (Will update to latest 4.4.x for final.)

Other notables:

rc.sysinit: ability to load extrasfs even from unmounted device (by specifying device: prefix). These SFS can be loaded to RAM too. This enables fully savefile-less operations. Rc.sysinit now supports loading extrasfs from device/label/uuid; fatdog-initrd: basesfs now accepts ram/expand parameter (deprecating base2ram)

Xattr enabled for all file systems.

Plus numerous bug fixes.

Big thanks to all the 710 Alpha testers.

Get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/710beta/
Last edited by fatdog on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

-
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

SFR

Compiz

#3 Post by SFR »

If anyone's interested in playing with Compiz, take a look here.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Doglover

#4 Post by Doglover »

'bout time :)))

Billtoo

Fatdog64-710 beta [28 August 2016]

#5 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive, computer is a lenovo
desktop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 28 Aug 2016 on Fatdog64 710 Linux 4.4.18 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 367.44

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

No problems so far,
Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(61.21 KiB) Downloaded 2578 times

rufwoof

Re: Compiz

#6 Post by rufwoof »

SFR wrote:If anyone's interested in playing with Compiz, take a look here.

Greetings!
I recently tried fmiguel's Yara puppy Compiz version http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 019#920019 and thought it looked great given the small size. Surprised that more haven't so far created such compiz alternative pup's.

rufwoof

Re: Fatdog64-710 beta [28 August 2016]

#7 Post by rufwoof »

Billtoo wrote:I installed ...
Prompted by your screen shot of a HP mini Pavilion I did a quick search, the first of which review suggested big on storage space, low/disappointing on power and no option for faster WiFi or SDD.

Our (dad (me) and two teen+ sons) household has the living room as a bit of a man-cave. Main TV fronting two couches and two armchairs, three desks and three desktop PC's (towers) with mine having a 32" TV as a monitor and the lads each having large conventional widescreen monitors. So a lazy night in .. in front of the TV tends to be us each watching/doing what we individually want with the conventional TV being mostly a background thing that maybe only one of us will be watching (couched) at any one time. Otherwise each of us at our own desk/PC. Tablets/laptops/game stations tend to be in bedrooms using smaller TV's as displays.

Keep thinking with so much kit around its a bit like the 1980's ... sony walkman with cassettes for personal (headphones) music, brick mobile phone, 'portable' video recorder with magnetic tape cartridges, jungle box (large) 'portable' music box, box flash cube camera with 24 exposures ... and a weeks wait to get developed, 'portable' Amstrad PPC, VHS tape recorder next to the TV, stereo unit and vinyls next to that .... etc.

When I look back its amazing of how much we lugged around. But equally when I step back and look now ... really need to move on and be rid of so much clutter around the living room. A tablet and a common household single 'server' combined with a TV/monitor/mouse each seems the way to go, or something like one of those HP mini PC devices each (or even a PC on a stick HDMI type device). I guess I'm still sitting on the fence to see what really grabs the market as a convergence/spacing saving device. HP mini doesn't seem to fit that bill for me.

smokey01

#8 Post by smokey01 »

Had a quick look and everthing, so far seems to be working well. Frugal install with dirsave on a ssd.

I'm not sure why xcalc is included instead of galculator or similar. Also defaultimageviewer is pointing at mtpaint, why not viewnior?

Cheers

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

rufwoof wrote: HP mini doesn't seem to fit that bill for me.
Hi,

I got the hp mini about 1 1/2 years ago, it came with Windows-8.1 and I upgraded that to Windows 10.
I have Smplayer/Smtube, Vlc, Kodi and other applications installed that are available for both linux and windows.

It runs these apps well which is surprising for a pc with only 2 gigs of ram and a dual core celeron processor.

I run linux on it from flash drives or external hard drives, it has 4 usb-3.0 ports so unlimited storage.

I've run Fatdog64 on it in the past too :)

It doesn't use much electricity, has no noisy fan, so it has some things going for it and for the cost of it I don't regret getting it.

Besides, I wanted a new toy at the time :)

kirk

#10 Post by kirk »

I'm not sure why xcalc is included instead of galculator or similar. Also defaultimageviewer is pointing at mtpaint, why not viewnior?
You mean calcoo vs galculator, calcoo seems to work well and is much smaller. The defaultimageviewer is fotoxx, mtpaint is the defaultpaint and defaultdraw. If you click on something like a png file you'll get defaultpaint. If you click on a jpeg you'll get defaultimageviewer. But maybe we should look at using viewnior for one of those.

quirkian2new

#11 Post by quirkian2new »

rc.sysinit: ability to load extrasfs even from unmounted device (by specifying device: prefix). These SFS can be loaded to RAM too. This enables fully savefile-less operations. Rc.sysinit now supports loading extrasfs from device/label/uuid; fatdog-initrd:
Can anyone advise where can i find the details(or help file) for extrasfs. Does it mean that i can add an SFS into the original initrd and this new initrd will load the added SFS automatically at boot up ? I remember jamesbond mentioned this in the old 701/702 thread.

thanks

edit : BTW, the file size of the SFS that i want to add into the original initrd is very small, i.e only 4 MB
Last edited by quirkian2new on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

drunkjedi

#12 Post by drunkjedi »

fatdog wrote:rc.sysinit: ability to load extrasfs even from unmounted device (by specifying device: prefix). These SFS can be loaded to RAM too. This enables fully savefile-less operations. Rc.sysinit now supports loading extrasfs from device/label/uuid; fatdog-initrd: basesfs now accepts ram/expand parameter (deprecating base2ram)
I have been using FD700 for a long time.
My syslinux.cfg file has following

Code: Select all

label fatdog
linux vmlinuz
initrd initrd_split
append rootfstype=ramfs waitdev=0 base2ram=yes basesfs=device:sda7:/fd64 savefile=ram:device:sda7:/fd64save
menu label Fatdog64 
text help
Start Fatdog normally.
endtext
Should I remove base2ram=yes and make change as basesfs=ram:device:sda7:/fd64, now that base2ram is deprecated?

Also please do tell how extra sfs can be loaded while booting?
Do they have to be zdrv, adrv or ydrv? (I don't understand what are they yet)
Or regular sfs of Chrome etc.

Sorry if this is answered before, I was not following development for few months.

Satori

Dell E6510 laptop

#13 Post by Satori »

Hiyas...

extracted ISO to a directory that grub knows about booting fatdog and cleaned the save directory
it references for a fresh startup...

#
title FatDog 7.10 (4.4.18) ==> (sda2)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy/fatdog-710/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck savefile=direct:device:sda2:/puppy/fd64save
initrd /puppy/fatdog-710/initrd
#

machine: Dell E6510 / i7 / nvidia / 8g

- booted and setup the wifi with no problems
- ran Chrome 52 from an external directory that the other dogs use, with no problems
- sys info finds 8 cpus from the i7 as well as the installed 8g mem sticks
- keyboard's vol keys changes volume and shows the onscreen display
- video drivers show nv drivers for nvidia chip being used
- video screen of 1600x900 is correct
- mdsn shows 100% usage of a cpu core, disabled it from services manager (not needed)

looks real good.

all I need now is the kernel sources for 4.4.18 to install the nvidia blob.

a previous save dir with nvidia compiled with k4.4.3 sources causes xwin to fail to start, but
that's to be expected.

Thanks

smokey01

#14 Post by smokey01 »

Yes you are correct it is calcoo. It works fine and small but it just doest look good. Galculator or similar would be better IMHO.

Fotoxx is a good image viewer but I think viewnior is less complicated. I always make viewnior the default to open all images. Mtpaint and Gimp have right click options to open. I often make fotoxx a right click option as well.

The new touchpad software doesn't work with my Asus netbook but flsynclient is still included and work fine.

You might like to include the 23oz theme that's on my repo, it adds some nice glossy bars and bits.

It's working well here on three different systems.

Cheers

kirk wrote:
You mean calcoo vs galculator, calcoo seems to work well and is much smaller. The defaultimageviewer is fotoxx, mtpaint is the defaultpaint and defaultdraw. If you click on something like a png file you'll get defaultpaint. If you click on a jpeg you'll get defaultimageviewer. But maybe we should look at using viewnior for one of those.

prehistoric

#15 Post by prehistoric »

In keeping with my moniker, I have gone the old route of burning an actual DVD, because I like to use Fatdog on suspect machines to examine file systems without the risk of having flash drives compromised.

Fatdog 710b is now running nicely on an old homebuilt machine with AMD dual-core processor and Nvidia graphics using an ASUS M2NVP-VM motherboard. I don't expect problems on two less problematic machines, but will post results later.

I happen to agree with Smokey about galculator, which I use in scientific and RPN mode, though I do replace the ugly icon on the desktop with one from Gnome Accessories.

Also keeping with my moniker is my taste in email. I use Sylpheed and text because there are too damn many things HTML can do to the unwary. I like to look at stuff passed by email before I let a browser display it, even when the browser is run as spot.

So far, this looks good enough for a place on my menu of systems on hard disk. I expect to install Google Chrome, but would like the option of using Firefox.

Anyone tried that on Fatdog since the recent upgrades to FF48?

Doglover

#16 Post by Doglover »

Thanks for a incredible distro.

Would be nice if you included a pulseaudio mixer, which is what the laptop likes.

Ether

#17 Post by Ether »

OK probably a "doh" question, but is there a FAQ somewhere... where I can I read about Fatdog64 ?

James C

#18 Post by James C »

Ether wrote:OK probably a "doh" question, but is there a FAQ somewhere... where I can I read about Fatdog64 ?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html

SFR

#19 Post by SFR »

quirkian2new wrote:Can anyone advise where can i find the details(or help file) for extrasfs. Does it mean that i can add an SFS into the original initrd and this new initrd will load the added SFS automatically at boot up ? I remember jamesbond mentioned this in the old 701/702 thread.
drunkjedi wrote:Also please do tell how extra sfs can be loaded while booting?
Do they have to be zdrv, adrv or ydrv? (I don't understand what are they yet)
Or regular sfs of Chrome etc.
Check out the FAQ (the Help icon on desktop) - just type 'extrasfs' into the search field and you'll find the details.
I might be wrong, but I don't think it's been designed to load extra SFSes from within initrd.

RE: Galculator
I also like it more than Calcoo. The latter does not support Bin/Hex/Oct...
I attached the latest version (remove the fake '.gz' extension!).

Greetings!
Attachments
galculator-2.1.4-x86_64-1.txz.gz
MD5: 7ee7f6f0a43fd29237f09148fb539505 galculator-2.1.4-x86_64-1.txz
(140.57 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Billtoo

Fatdog64-710 beta [28 August 2016]

#20 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive, computer is a hp mini
stream:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 30 Aug 2016 on Fatdog64 710 Linux 4.4.18 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
oem: Intel(R) HSW Mobile/Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: óî óî

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.2

Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

It's working well so far.
Thanks
Attachments