Slacko32/64 700 BETA 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Thanks @gyro for joining the discussion.

Hopefully this weekend I can build a 32 bit version with the latest 'rationalise' at that time and further the discussion/findings/fixes in a new thread.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gyro

#42 Post by gyro »

I have atached a debgug init for this slacko64, as init.gz.
It's also available as an updated initrd.gz from http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/slacko64/initrd.gz.
This init accepts "pdebug=" boot parameters.
"pdebug=0" drops out to the console just after intepreting boot parameters.
"pdebug=3" drops out just before getting the no puppy...sfs message.
1,2 are in between. There is no "pdebug=4".
At each pdebug point it displays a message showing significant init variables at that point. The different pdebug points show different messages.
At the console you can run commands like "mount" to confirm that no partitions are still mounted.
Use ctrl+alt+del keys to reboot.

How to use:
Start by booting with "pdebug=0", and then "pdebug=1" etc.. noting the last pdebug point that was successful.
Please report what was the last successful pdebug point number and the contents of the line above showing the init variables.

Edit: This version has been replaced, see later post

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#43 Post by gyro »

An example of successful boots using pdebug.

grub4dos kernel line:

Code: Select all

kernel /puppy/slacko64/vmlinuz libata.noacpi=1 pmedia=atahd pupsfs=49baa82d-8c69 psubdir=/puppy/slacko64 pfix=fsckp pdebug=0
produces this variables display line:

PMEDIA=atahd PUPSYS=49baa82d-8c69 PSUBDIR=/puppy/slacko64 pfix=fsckp
Using pdebug=1 produces:

PUPSYS= P_BP_ID=49baa82d-8c69
Using pdebug=2 produces:

ONE_PART=sdb4 ONE_FN=/puppy/slacko64/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs LOOK_PUP= LOOK_SAVE=
Using pdebug=3 produces:

ONE_PART=sdb4 ONE_TRY_FN=/puppy/slacko64/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs PDRV=sdb4,ext4,/puppy/slacko64/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
And pdebug=4 results in boot to desktop.

gyro

jlst

#44 Post by jlst »

haha silly me. zarfy is awesome. it should be included in all puppies. it's really tiny.

so it has the -l option, at first thought it didn't work.

so i tested with 2 monitors and now i think puppy remembers that last settings and will apply them everytime X starts...
Attachments
xinitrc__zarfy-1.0.pet
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

gyro

#45 Post by gyro »

A new version of an init script with debug support is attached.
An updated initrd.gz is available at http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/slacko64/initrd.gz.

This a a slightly refined version, in that the debug messages are always written if any value of pdebug is set. i.e. if you boot with "pdebug=y" all debug messages will be appended to bootinit.log.
If "pdebug=" is set to 0,1,2,3 init will drop out as per previous version.

So, for initial testing boot "pdebug=y". If the boot works, there's a few extra lines in "/initrd/tmp/bootinit.log". If it fails, all the messages should appear on the screen following the "bootinit.log" line.

Example debug lines from a successful boot:

0: PMEDIA=atahd PDRV=49baa82d-8c69 PSUBDIR=/puppy/slacko64 pfix=fsckp
1: PDRV= P_BP_ID=49baa82d-8c69 P_BP_FN=
2: ONE_PART=sdb4 ONE_FN=/puppy/slacko64/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs ONE_MP=/mnt/pdrv
3: ONE_PART=sdb4 ONE_TRY_FN=/puppy/slacko64/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs PDRV=sdb4,ext4,/puppy/slacko64/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
Edit: Attachemnt deleted, superceeded by later version, see later post.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#46 Post by mavrothal »

Couldn't help it and played a bit more with it. :D
I often boot from a CD/Image and have savefiles/folder in a partition.
So far puppies could find the savefile automatically.
Not anymore.
You now need to define psave (and realize that you need to "tab" to pass any kernel arguments).

Puppy boot arguments where there mostly to help when boot without user input was failing or speed up/customize things.
Would be nice to remain user/nooby friendly and not follow fatdog, debiandog, porteus, tinycore (all of which I very much like) and other more "involved" mini/frugal OSs.

BTW if anyone needs the broadcom wl driver for 4.1.31 x86_64, is here
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

smokey01

#47 Post by smokey01 »

I can confirm the zarfy -l switch works. When zarfy is run it creates a config file in /root./zarfy The -l switch forces it to be read. By placing "zarfy -l" in .xinitrc it works fine. I guess placing a script with the contents "zarfy -l" in /root/startup would work equally as well but you you might see the screens change as scripts in startup are run after .xinitrc, I think.

gyro

#48 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Couldn't help it and played a bit more with it. :D
Not anymore.
It should automatically find them in the root of the partition. On a cd boot It will look for /slacko64save... (since PSUBDIR is empty.)
mavrothal wrote:(and realize that you need to "tab" to pass any kernel arguments).
I don't understand what this means.

gyro

gyro

#49 Post by gyro »

A new debug version of the init script is attached.
A new debug version of the initrd.gz has been uploaded to the same place as the previous version.

The only change is the inclusion of debug messages inside the search loop. So if a search is done, it can easily be seen which partitions it looked at.

Edit: Attachment deleted, replaced by new version, see later post.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

mavrothal

#50 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Couldn't help it and played a bit more with it. :D
Not anymore.
It should automatically find them in the root of the partition. On a cd boot It will look for /slacko64save... (since PSUBDIR is empty.)
The savefolder is at the root of the partition. The partition is detected according to the logs but it does not load.
Good to know that is a bug rather than design change, though.
gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:(and realize that you need to "tab" to pass any kernel arguments).
I don't understand what this means.

gyro
Not an init issue.
It has to do with how you pass arguments now with the UEFI/Grub bootloader.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gyro

#51 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:The savefolder is at the root of the partition. The partition is detected according to the logs but it does not load.
Could you please use the debug init, boot "pdebug=y" and post the contents of /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log in the running system, here. It would be interesting to see if the debug stuff is actually useful.

Hmmm.. you are using a uefi boot then, could you try a non uefi boot? (Yes I know, clutching at straws.)

gyro

mavrothal

#52 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:The savefolder is at the root of the partition. The partition is detected according to the logs but it does not load.
Could you please use the debug init, boot "pdebug=y" and post the contents of /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log in the running system, here. It would be interesting to see if the debug stuff is actually useful.
I'm afraid I do not have the time to rebuild/burn the ISO. Maybe Mick will get 6.9.6 out soon
gyro wrote:Hmmm.. you are using a uefi boot then, could you try a non uefi boot? (Yes I know, clutching at straws.)

gyro
No. Actually both uefi and non-uefi booting from a CD/image fail to see the savefolder

gyro

#53 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Maybe Mick will get 6.9.6 out soon.
I hope not too soon, the debug stuff has not been pushed to woof-ce yet.
I was rather hoping for at least 1 run in a real problem situation before pushing.

But such is life.

@01micko, could you please let me know before you start a new build, I would like to have at least some form of the debug code included.

gyro

gyro

#54 Post by gyro »

For more information about the new init, please see this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107178
And in particular this recent post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=79

gyro

Sailor Enceladus

#55 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Slacko64 6.9.5 (and 32) with the newer rationalize init has always been working well on ext4 partitions on hard drive for me.

gyro

#56 Post by gyro »

I was able to reproduce mavrothal's problem and fix it.

@01micko,
The ploblem is that the iso does not have a "pmedia=cd" parameter on it's boot command.
The new init depends on the presence of "pmedia=cd" to tell it to look for a savefolder and not assume that it will be in the same directory as the puppy...sfs.
A new iso with "pmedia=cd" and updated initrd.gz with latest pdebug code shows a correct boot, finding the savefolder.

I would welcome a solution for init to find out what device it has been booted off, without depending on puppy boot parameters.

@Sailor Enceladus,
Glad to hear that.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#57 Post by gyro »

A new debug version of the init script is attached.
A new debug version of the initrd.gz has been uploaded to the same place as the previous version.
This version has been pushed to woof-ce rationalise.

It no longer has any dropout points, it just produces messages, but an improved set.

gyro
Attachments
init.gz
gunzip to produce init script
(13.47 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

gyro

#58 Post by gyro »

Just in case anyone is interested, here is the debug output in /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log from a successful boot from cd.

0: PMEDIA=cd PDRV= PSUBDIR= pfix=
1: PDRV= P_BP_ID= P_BP_FN=
2: LOOK_PUP=yes LOOK_SAVE=yes PMEDIA=cd
3: filename=/slacko64save
3: PSUBDIR= P_BP_FN= P_DEF_FN=puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
4: ONE_PART=sda1
4: ONE_PART=sda2
4: ONE_PART=sda3
4: ONE_PART=sda4
4: ONE_PART=sdb1
4: ONE_PART=sdb2
4: ONE_PART=sdb3
4: ONE_PART=sdb4
5: ONE_PART=sdb4 filename=/slacko64save
4: ONE_PART=sr0
5: ONE_PART=sr0 PSUBDIR= P_BP_FN= P_DEF_FN=puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
6: ONE_PART=sr0 ONE_TRY_FN=/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs PDRV=sr0,iso9660,/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
The "2:" line tells us that we were booted with "pmedia=cd" so searching for a savefolder is enabled.
The "3:" lines tell us the files we are searching for.
The "4:" lines tell us what partitions it has looked in.
The "5:" lines indicate successful location of the files.
The "6:" line indicates that we have successfully found a PDRV and we are ready to go.

gyro

01micko

#59 Post by 01micko »

re: zarfy

I'll make a petbuild for zarfy and include it in the next build (maybe sunday in delta format).

Probably a line in /usr/sbin/delayedrun could solve the zarfy startup problem.

[ -f "$HOME/.zarfy" ] && zarfy -l
Or, add an autostart .desktop file so it starts when JWM starts, which is earlier than delayedrun.

Qemu is broken too. I rebuilt it last night and will upload a new version soon.

I'll use slackware's version of util-linux re the lvm problem reported by Sailor.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#60 Post by zigbert »

Mick
If building from the rationalise branch, could you merge with testing branch to include pMusic 5.1.4? I would be happy to test 5.1.4 in a build.