ocd-Dock - a dock written for Puppy

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
smokey01

#81 Post by smokey01 »

Phil, it looks like you're using a 64bit libwnck. You need to use a 32bit.

UncleBaldie

#82 Post by UncleBaldie »

@smokey01,

Oh, nuts ! *face-palm* Now why didn't I think of that !

Thanks....I'll give it a try....

Phil
Crackin' cheese, Gromit lad...
[img]http://www.lichfieldecclesia.org/462665.png[/img]

Woof-woof......oh yes !!

mow9902

#83 Post by mow9902 »

I use tahrpup 6.0.2 and libwnck-1.so.22.3.31 works fine.

unzip and then create a symlink to it named libwnck-1.so.22
Attachments
libwnck-1.so.22.3.31.zip
(97.8 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

Keef

#84 Post by Keef »

I installed the latest version, and have noticed that ocd_Dock gradually uses more and more memory - at least that is what htop is telling me. Today, it was up to about 10% after 15 minutes and is currently at 29% after 55 minutes. The other day it got up to 43% and the system started to crawl.
Didn't have this occur on previous versions (although I may have skipped the last one).
PC Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name:

Motherboard Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: 099C

BIOS Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Version: 68DTD Ver. F.14
Release Date: 07/27/2006

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
Max Speed: 2000 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:798 MHz

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 2014 MB
Used RAM: 1873 MB
Free RAM: 141 MB
Buffers: 85 MB
Total Swap: 582 MB
Free Swap: 582 MB

Linux Kernel: 3.14.56 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 21 14:52:08 GMT 2015
PAE Enabled: No

Distro: tahrpup 6.0.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.5
Desktop Start: xwin jwm

busybox: 1.21.0
dhcpcd: 6.7.1
GCC: 4.8.4
GlibC: 2.19

smokey01

#85 Post by smokey01 »

Anyone seen ProgRob? He appears to be AWOL.

ProgRob

#86 Post by ProgRob »

Sorry folks but currently on holiday. Keef's feedback is worrying - sounds like a memory leak. I'll have to check the changes between versions to see where one might have been introduced.

Keef - have you used any of the new features when you got the problem or did you simply upgrade? Knowing this will help narrow the search.

Cheers
Rob

smokey01

#87 Post by smokey01 »

ProgRob check your PM when you get a chance.

Keef

#88 Post by Keef »

ProgRob

I just uninstalled the old pet and replaced it with the new one. Apart from changing the position and theme, I've not tried anything else.
Also tried it with Xenialpup, and the same thing happens.

smokey01

#89 Post by smokey01 »

Attached is a configuration manager for ocd-Dock. I have sent a copy to ProgRob but he hasn't seen it yet as he is on holidays.

Warning - It will change your dock-config file but it will still work. Backup your existing config file.

Spaces and comments will be removed from the config file. This was quite a challenge and would have been much easier if the config file had the following format:
variable="value"
instead of:
variable = value

All of the help in the config file is included as tool-tips in the configuration manager. It's a bit rough and ready but I think it will appeal more to the non technical.

As usual my old mate CatDude has his paw prints all over it.

BTW, for Fatdog64-710 users, I have made a SFS of ocd-Dock with all the required 32bit libraries and it works fine here. If anyone is interested I will post the SFS on my site.

Enjoy.
Attachments
ocd-Dock-Config.gz
Remove fake .gz
(31.79 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

torm

#90 Post by torm »

calendar, week start monday and other locale specific _must-have_-s ....
will look closely, however to normal user may look a bit overhead to start with :?

desklets are nice feature
:wink:

smokey01

#91 Post by smokey01 »

I never thought I would ever say this, but, I like ocd-Dock better than wbar.
It has so many configuration options. Good job ProgRob.
Attachments
fd64-ocd-Dock.png
My Fatdog64-710 desktop
(130.14 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

ProgRob

#92 Post by ProgRob »

@Smokey01 - embarrassed thanks for the compliment :)

@Torm - thanks for the comments. Should be able to add the -s flag to calendar - will look in to that

@Keef - thanks for confirming that. I have now been able to replicate the memory leak and it appears to be emanation the from a piece of code that was altered recently. Am now trying to track the exact lines that are causing the fault. I suspect it may be a glitch in the Vala compiler. Then again we are using a really old version of Vala in Puppy.

Sorry for slow responses at present - normal service should resume 5th September

Rob

Ghost Dog

#93 Post by Ghost Dog »

Hey ProgRob. Just to follow up, I think I might have figured out what was going on with those icons. Or at least solved the problem.

First I noticed there was a line in my pin file for a program that I don't have anymore, that might have caused some kind of error. And I noticed that both Rox and Geany are roxapps in /usr/local/apps, I thought maybe that had something to do with it.

But in the end I just deleted the Rox-filer from my pin file, opened it, right clicked and re-pinned it. Now it seems to be working great; before it used to have the pinned icon and also show the open app in a separate location on the bar. Now when I open rox-filer, there is only one icon, which is the way it should be.

Not sure why the launcher used to work and also show the open app separately. Must have been my fault somehow, I've been doing a lot of tweaking.

Anyway cheers and thanks for a great dock!
The Way of the Samurai

ProgRob

#94 Post by ProgRob »

Thanks for letting me know, Ghost Dog. I was getting worried about the number of issues with this release. That's one less to worry about

smokey01

#95 Post by smokey01 »

I have been experiencing a number of lockup lately. I've had to power down to fix the problem. I'm sorry to report but it does look like ocd-Dock is the culprit. I guess those memory leaks reported earlier are confirmed. Until ProgRob is able to fix the issue I'm back with wbar :(

ProgRob

#96 Post by ProgRob »

Given the disappointing problems I am going to have to put a note to folk to not download the current version.

When I am back from holiday on Monday I will make version 3.1 available again. I will then work on version 4.2 to fix the memory leaks.

I have identified two memory leaks in current code. One appears to be easy to fix, the other is more problematic. Although the code was changed in the latest version it was only to reduce a level of indirection so should have behaved exactly the same. I don't have a proven solution but there is a way I am going to try to fix things which I suspect should work. No promises, but hopefully a new version for folk to try by a week today.

Regards,
Rob

ProgRob

#97 Post by ProgRob »

New release - version 4.2.1 - this fixes the memory leaks and visual glitches that were around. No new functionality, but it shouldn't gradually eat your memory any more.

Regards,
Rob

ProgRob

New release 4.2.2

#98 Post by ProgRob »

Another new release with the following changes:
  • Fixed a bug whereby X Windows gradually stole more and more virtual memory - special thanks to Keef for spotting this
  • Altered the code to load in indicators as there was a problem with one of Gdk's functions in Slacko which did not work as per the Gtk specification. This meant that indicators were too big, were incorrectly placed and could cause ocd-Dock to crash sporadically. The change is a small workaround to avoid using the offending gdk function.
  • Improved the information provided when the -m switch is used
  • Altered one of the matching rules which previously meant that under TahrPup Urxvt terminal windows were being matched to the wrong .desktop file due to URxvt being reported as the application name.The matcher now does a caseless match on application name
  • Modified the code for drawing corners to remove some of my hand coded graphics and to use Cairo graphics instead. This looks to me like it has improved the look of rounded corners
  • Identified and removed a load of redundant code which should make the footprint slightly smaller
  • Fixed a strange coding error which must have crept in at some point which meant that the matrix theme did not display correctly
  • Modified a piece of code to detect which dockitem the mouse was over to make it more efficient. This should slightly reduce processing power needed when the mouse is moving over the dock
So all pretty much small stuff, but hopefully a better release!

Any feedback, as always, very welcome,

Rob

Ghost Dog

#99 Post by Ghost Dog »

Nice!

This is a very lovely dock.

For some reason, it still doesn't want to show the icon for Roxfiler, probably something I messed up over here.

error.log says "Something wrong when iterating over desktop file directory".

Starting from terminal gives: (ocd-Dock:4487): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE
The Way of the Samurai

ProgRob

#100 Post by ProgRob »

Hi Ghost Dog,

Thanks for the nice words.

Firstly, don't worry about the Wnck-Warning - it does one of those for each open window at start up. I don't honestly know the cause but I have seen other developers reference it. It can be safely ignored.

Now for the Rox-filer problem. This is interesting. One central part of ocd-Dock is the matching algorithm which tries to work out from a window what application caused it to open. This error only comes up if ocd-Dock is trying to iterate over the set of desktop files and it encounters an error. What would help track it down is to open ocd-Dock from a terminal with the switch -m, preferably with no other windows open. Then open Rox-filer. The diagnostic window should report what matching it is trying and hopefully should show some useful information.

If you can report back what it says we might be able to work out the problem as it could easily be a coding error.

Thanks,
Rob