Add 3 new boot codes to Puppy mainstream code.

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
sunburnt

Add 3 new boot codes to Puppy mainstream code.

#1 Post by sunburnt »

Suggestion that 3 boot codes be added to Puppy mainstream code.

#1: pfix=nousbautosave

#2: pfix=nousbexitsave

#3: pfix=nousbsave ( Does both of the above. )

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

That's a nice idea. I always turn both off manually or remaster the sfs / make an adrv with the change, this would be easier.

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

Not sure I'd implement it quite like that, but I agree saving policies should simply be configurable, not a fiddle.
gyro

Moose On The Loose

Re: Add 3 new boot codes to Puppy mainstream code.

#4 Post by Moose On The Loose »

sunburnt wrote:Suggestion that 3 boot codes be added to Puppy mainstream code.

#1: pfix=nousbautosave

#2: pfix=nousbexitsave

#3: pfix=nousbsave ( Does both of the above. )
I suggest not having the "usb" in there so a non-USB case can be done too

I also suggest

#4: pfix=newsave

This way on a machine with only one save file, a new one can be created as a copy of the exiting

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

These would not be implmented by init, but by rc.shutdown so they would be more readily setup with a modified "Puppy Event Manager". (Where you have to set the save interval to 0.)
gyro

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

What I've done is I just made an adrv with /etc/eventmanger in it with RAMSAVEINTERVAL=0 instead of 30, replaces /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig with a blank file, and replaces /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown RETVAL=1 with RETVAL=0 so it boot that way on all boots. I believe what sunburnt is asking is a pfix= variable that can change this automatically. The last one by Moose on the Loose sounds a bit more complex but can probably be done by copying the savefile to a new file before the new savefile is loaded.

sunburnt

#7 Post by sunburnt »

I thought only USB Save file install used the auto save.
Copying a 1GB Save file to 1GB of ram is silly.
Shutdown for any other install type doesn`t need saving.

A thought is that newer flash drives last much longer.
Is saving really needed? Just mount Save file H.D. style.
I like reduced and simpler boot code for Puppy.

If PC has 4GB ram, no swap file needed for normal use.
My new PC has no H.D., USB flash only. Very simple...
USB 2 is slow, should be faster, USB 3 should be great!

Sailor Enceladus

#8 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

On hard drive, I use pmedia=ataflash because I like having the save icon (when I actually decide to save instead of running in PUPMODE=5), and it works similar to on USB. Without pmedia=ataflash it seems to say "puppy is already on top layer, session already saved" but it seems that it doesn't actually save until I shutdown (with 0 instead of 30), ie. if I do a hard shutdown it goes back to how everything was the previous session... so I think it works the same either way? (or my setup is just weird)

rufwoof

#9 Post by rufwoof »

sunburnt wrote:I thought only USB Save file install used the auto save.
Copying a 1GB Save file to 1GB of ram is silly.
I never use copy to ram as that does seem silly. Other than being able to unplug the USB (most PC's now have more than enough anyway or there are those 4 way hub's that are very inexpensive).

With copy to ram you disk IO copy everything. With IO on demand you read in just what's needed, when its needed. More often once read in it stays memory bound due to memory levels nowadays tending to exceed puppy size. Overall I have it that not copying has the slight edge overall. Reads less overall (gparted for instance might be rarely used and isn't being copied into ram every time you boot).

As a aside ... returning to 4 way USB hub, I did see a youtube video some time back where a guy speed tested USB arrays compared to singles. 4x8GB USB's instead of a single 32GB USB type comparison and IIRC he found that the hub/array style was faster/better. Thought I'd just mention that out of interest. I don't know the physical aspect of that myself, whether for instance 4 x USB3 would share the same 'bus' or not ??

gyro

#10 Post by gyro »

Yes, but it makes more sence to be asking for a change to "Puppy Event Manager" than "init".
gyro

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

Long ago I wanted puppy to boot...Hit F3

and have more boot choices by numbers for
video problems etc.

I'm sure an early Japanese Puppy had better boot options.

Chris.

LazY Puppy

#12 Post by LazY Puppy »

I would like to suggest one more boot option for Puppy.

- for the use of a Configuration File to setup things permanently without the need to use a save file

Some details for a Configuration File

Some more details for a Configuration File (at Options to setup:)
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

drunkjedi

#13 Post by drunkjedi »

Take a look at what Fatdog64 offers too.

Fatdog now has "extrasfs" boot option.
which lets you choose any sfs to be loaded from any drive while booting, also it can be instructed to load that sfs in RAM
extrasfs This parameter tells Fatdog64 to pre-load additional SFS files right before the system starts.
These SFS files are loaded after the union filesystem has been setup, and after /etc/fstab has been processed.
SFS loaded this way are not kept in permanent record, however they can be un-loaded just like others using System SFS Loader.
You can load multiple SFS-es here, separating them by comma (spaces not allowed in the names):*.extrasfs=location,location,location,etc

For details on location, please refer to the savefile option. They are identical, although for now, only device, label and uuid are supported, the rest do not (they will be implemented if there is popular demand for them).
Alternatively, you can also specify just a fully qualified path name, to a device that has been mounted earlier in /etc/fstab.
"/mnt/home" is popular.
The path can be anything, it can even point to a raw device (/dev/sdb) if relevant.
Location can also be prefixed with ram which means that the given SFS will be loaded to RAM (and thus will not hog the device it is loaded from).
For consistency, you can also prefix it with direct although it will do nothing.
Example: extrasfs=/mnt/home/s1.sfs,ram:/mnt/home/s2.sfs,device:sdb:/path/to/s3.sfs,/dev/sdc

The last specification will load the entire partition of /dev/sdc as an SFS.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html
Hey Lazy didn't you had something similar for sfs in your pup?

LazY Puppy

#14 Post by LazY Puppy »

drunkjedi wrote:Hey Lazy didn't you had something similar for sfs in your pup?
Yes.

I convert all .pet into .sfs before any use. I got .sfs files from 40kb up to several hundrets of mega bytes. I can load them at boot up (from /etc/profile.local), from /root/Startup (in newer Puppies: /root/.config/autostart) and just as usual by clicking the program's menu entry (RunScripts made by SFS P.L.U.S.) - like it would be installed as a .pet file.

Nowadays I even don't remaster anymore (last remaster was made on 22. February 2016) as I can setup all I need to change on a original Puppy by my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Configuration Files. All of my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 systems are ready to load up to 120 .sfs files at boot up - though, the puppy_xxx.sfs (and zdrv sfs) remains in original state.

I can load those .sfs files also to a top layer - above the puppy main sfs.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

drunkjedi

#15 Post by drunkjedi »

Yes, T.O.P.L.E.S.S.
I read about it but didn't test it, primarily because I run Fatdog64 mostly and your tested pup list didn't have it.
Also because I was kind of busy and didn't get much time to tinker with PC, I didn't even update my fatdog to latest release for last 6 months or so.

But I also primarily like SFS files and prefer them over .pets or in fatdog's case txz.
I also make sfs of small programs too.

I will try out T.O.P.L.E.S.S. with tahr64 first in few days as time permits me.

I am a noob in Linux, so I may trouble you with silly questions.
Ha ha.

Have a nice day.

rg66

#16 Post by rg66 »

This has already been implemented in X-slacko and X-Tahr. The choices are -0=never, 0=at shutdown, +0=ask at shutdown. There will be a save-session icon on the desktop and a Save Manager entry in menu > system to change the settings (just a tab from event manager). As gyro has stated, the mods are to eventmanager and rc.shutdown.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]