A feather in the cap for Puppy

Promote Puppy !
nic007

A feather in the cap for Puppy

#1 Post by nic007 »

Having recently re-installed a Windows OS, made me realise how easy Puppy makes things. I need to download hordes of drivers to get LAN, ethernet, bluetooth, graphics, sound, etc. to work in Windows. With Puppy everything (well, most things) are just there, ready to be used immediately. It's a wonderful little distro.

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

I'm sure it should work somehow, though I'm not able to connect to the web using my GPRS USB Modem and Windows XP or Kubuntu or Ubuntu etc.pp.

In Puppy it's easy, though it was much easier at the times of Lucid and Precise.

Some of those newer Puppy Systems like tahr, vivid, unicorn etc. need to install a pgprs package before I can connect to the web using my GPRS USB Modem.

Though, those days of easy connecting are gone.

Since xenial has entered the scene my GPRS USB Modem won't be recognized anymore.

So installing a pgprs package is useless now!

What a shame on Puppy!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Abdorhman Ayman

#3 Post by Abdorhman Ayman »

Puppy is by far the best distro I have used, I tried over 5 different distros on my acer aspire 3050 laptop which I bought a few weeks ago from a guy on OLX (https://olx.com.eg/en/items-for-sale/computers-tablets/) , all of 'em were slow, including the lightweight ones, but Puppy were different, a super fast, reliable, user-friendly system, with the right tools and apps to support you the entire day! me and my laptop love it

Sailor Enceladus

#4 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Agree with nic007 and Abdorhman Ayman. I tried Tinycore and Slitaz before Puppy and neither worked as completely.

@LazY Puppy: Did you file this bug report in the Xenialpup thread? It's still in beta after all.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Pup may not be there on the cutting edge of software, but it's certainly there on hw detection.

No pop-ups, reminders or pestering.. My friends and clients love its unobtrusive simplicity.

Keep in mind >> "There have been 18,267 users online since yesterday!"

I doubt many other distros have such a captive audience..

Mike Walsh

Re: A feather in the cap for Puppy

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

nic007 wrote:Having recently re-installed a Windows OS, made me realise how easy Puppy makes things. I need to download hordes of drivers to get LAN, ethernet, bluetooth, graphics, sound, etc. to work in Windows. With Puppy everything (well, most things) are just there, ready to be used immediately. It's a wonderful little distro.
Couldn't agree more with ya there, Nic. Out of all the big (and small!) Linux distros I've tried, not one of them has had me looking forward to powering on each day in the way that Puppy does, just knowing everything will work..... :D

And it's all thanks to our group of amazing, dedicated developers. All credit to them..!

Mike. :wink:

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

Semme wrote:Pup may not be there on the cutting edge of software, but it's certainly there on hw detection.

No pop-ups, reminders or pestering.. My friends and clients love its unobtrusive simplicity.

Keep in mind >> "There have been 18,267 users online since yesterday!"

I doubt many other distros have such a captive audience..

Semme,

Where are these 18,267 users online?? How come there's only about 35-45 of us regulars, inncluding daily newbies coming to ask questions, who post on Murga daily.

I am suspicious as all get out about how that number is derived. Me thinks that some bots who wing to the site, at various times during the day, are being "counted" as users online. But, hey, I am all for number padding and making us believe we will one day rule the world (because hopefully we will)....especially as AI & bots proliferate. This is where puppy is going to shine :)

Pete

#8 Post by Pete »

belham2 wrote: Where are these 18,267 users online??
If we look today, there are even more:
There have been 28032 users online since yesterday :: 134 Registered, 18 Hidden and 27880 Guests
So there have been 134 registered users plus the 18 hidden ones (I don't think bots can he hidden, not sure, perhaps Flash can confirm this), although like you say only 40 or so actually actively contribute whilst the bulk are simply visitors and the forum software logs/counts them based on unique IPs.

jlst

#9 Post by jlst »

LazY Puppy wrote:I'm sure it should work somehow, though I'm not able to connect to the web using my GPRS USB Modem and Windows XP or Kubuntu or Ubuntu etc.pp.

In Puppy it's easy, though it was much easier at the times of Lucid and Precise.
You can check /var/log/messages, /tmp/bootsysinit.log etc

With kernel upgrades sometimes there are new challenges and bugs to spot. phil666b builds ubuntu puppies. I guess it's a good idea to PM him with packages for him to upload, suggestions, etc.

i was reading an article about a bug in systemd, and someone said systemd was a bad thing for linux and will be the mother of all rootkits... and the ubuntu noobs have caused this. That struck a chord with me.

In case you want to use a puppy not tainted with systemd, Debian and co., there is slacko.

drongo

Visitor numbers

#10 Post by drongo »

I used to visit this forum almost every day. I probably still visit it two or three times a week. I normally only bother logging in if I want to post.

I've been using Puppy since 2004, I think.

In that time the number of anonymous visitors has always been far greater than the number of active posters on the Forum.

I would suggest that nobody has any idea how many active users there are. There may be thousands of people using it who never visit the Forum.

Even if I never visited the Forum again I would still use Puppy as it is my goto distro for repairing Windows PCs.

I have never met another Puppy user in real life. So, I can confidently state that the number of Puppy users is between 1 and about 7 billion.

I don't really care how many there are, if people want to use something else that is absolutely fine by me.