Kill The Password

For discussions about security.
Burn_IT

#21 Post by Burn_IT »

The password is triggered by something on the page - hence the if they change the page....
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

kjdixo

#22 Post by kjdixo »

ahh yes!
unexpected problems (show stoppers)

seriously though that is a fairly good method most of the time (when the page doesn;t change)
and you can probably minimize the risk by looking at another page, only known to yourself with a backup clue hidden there.

It means your passwords are safely stored where nobody can find them, except yourself and also perhaps a skilled hypnotist or mind reader,

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

Or the rules used to extract it!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

8Geee

#24 Post by 8Geee »

Somewhere within the OS is the binary file that holds the recorded recognition system of choice (retina, face, voice, EEG, combo). Alter that, and ooopsies, substitute with my binary, and your binary no longer works. Can we say owned?

If the machine stores it, it will be found... if the cloud stores it, found. Ultimately, all this new stuff is the same as the old stuff. Only the term has changed.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

kjdixo

#25 Post by kjdixo »

Two more thoughts

It is quite satisfying to login with a complex password that you have memorized and retained for a long period.
Relying on written records and having to look them up is almost like you have not learned something in class and always have to consult a cheat sheet.

With old machines removal of the 'cmos button cell' battery CR2032 or similar from the motherboard for 3 minutes would usually reset the BIOS password.

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

Another article providing a little different point of view.

Edited: For clarity this statement: I am not advocating one way or another. I am aware of what is occurring in industry and variously over the web. Thus items I share are merely observations only and are not positional. For me, much of this, I don't have a choice, but I can understand how to make use if/when required. Thus I am not shocked/surprised by any of these.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

drunkjedi

#27 Post by drunkjedi »

Biometrics can work with a dead you....
Passwords need you alive.....

Atleast until you give them passwords.