I click reboot or shutdown computer & nothing happens

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

I click reboot or shutdown computer & nothing happens

#1 Post by wert »

When I click reboot computer or shutdown computer nothing happens. Even the 'reboot' command in terminal does nothing. I have to press and hold the desktop's power button for 10 seconds to turn it off. I have tried to fsck the save file and partition many times using different live cds but they all say fs is clean.
I'm running tahrpup 6.0.2 updated. Thank you

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

Boot in RAM mode or from cd and see if you have the same problem. I think there is something wrong with your savefile.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

tahrpup 6.0.2 updated.
Installed how?
On what?
What format is partition?

Always a chance you got a bad download of the tahrpup 6.0.2 iso file and/or bad install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

MochiMoppel

Re: I click reboot or shutdown computer & nothing happens

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

wert wrote:Even the 'reboot' command in terminal does nothing
Really nothing? Not even an error message? I don't know tahrpup but in my slacko there is a script /sbin/reboot. I tried to run 'reboot' from the console - and Puppy crashed :cry:

The commands you should try first are 'wmreboot' for rebooting and 'wmpoweroff' for shutdown.

wert

#5 Post by wert »

bigpup wrote:tahrpup 6.0.2 updated.
Installed how?
On what?
What format is partition?

Always a chance you got a bad download of the tahrpup 6.0.2 iso file and/or bad install.
It used to work fine but only recently it has this issue. I installed it using the fill entire partition method on an internal hard drive ext3 partition. The save file is called tahrsave.2fs

wert

#6 Post by wert »

MochiMoppel wrote:
wert wrote:Even the 'reboot' command in terminal does nothing
Really nothing? Not even an error message? I don't know tahrpup but in my slacko there is a script /sbin/reboot. I tried to run 'reboot' from the console - and Puppy crashed :cry:

The commands you should try first are 'wmreboot' for rebooting and 'wmpoweroff' for shutdown.
Here's what the terminal returns for reboot

Code: Select all

sh-4.3# reboot
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
sh-4.3# 
Here's what the terminal returns for wmreboot

sh-4.3# wmreboot
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
sh-4.3# 
And here's what the terminal returns for wmpoweroff

sh-4.3# wmpoweroff
sh-4.3# 
I doesn't crash at all, just behaves as if nothing happened when i tell it to shut down or reboot. E.g. I've actually typed the above commands in terminal as I'm replying and posted it while the system is not poering off at all more so, I clicked Shut Down 5 hours ago and I'm posting this now. Sorry for bad english helper

wert

#7 Post by wert »

This tahrpup I've used it for almost 5 months without any problem. Only now it has the refusing to shut down probem

MochiMoppel

#8 Post by MochiMoppel »

wert wrote:Here's what the terminal returns for reboot

sh-4.3# reboot
sh-4.3# 
..means that the kill command in wmreboot couldn't kill your window manager.
Open a console an type

cat /etc/windowmanager
If you get a response like 'jwm' type

pidof jwm
You should see a number, do you?

rockedge

#9 Post by rockedge »

what other software and or packages have been installed before the shutdown problem began?

wert

#10 Post by wert »

MochiMoppel wrote:
wert wrote:Here's what the terminal returns for reboot

sh-4.3# reboot
sh-4.3# 
..means that the kill command in wmreboot couldn't kill your window manager.
Open a console an type

cat /etc/windowmanager
If you get a response like 'jwm' type

pidof jwm
You should see a number, do you?
Here's the results

sh-4.3# cat /etc/windowmanager
openboxsh-4.3# pifof openbox
sh: pifof: command not found
sh-4.3# pidof openbox
sh-4.3# 
I don't use openbox which is what's returned there. My windows manager is jwm as far as I know which is the default in tahrpup 602. Thanks for your help

wert

#11 Post by wert »

rockedge wrote:what other software and or packages have been installed before the shutdown problem began?
Not that I know of. I rarely install any packages in since tahr packs everything I could need.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

This an older box? Is that the only partition on the drive? How big?

MochiMoppel

#13 Post by MochiMoppel »

wert wrote:I don't use openbox which is what's returned there.
..and you are definitely not running openbox, but your Puppy *thinks* that you are running it and now can't terminate the non existent openbox.

As a quick fix you can edit the file /etc/windowmanager and replace openbox by jwm. Now you should be able to shutdown/reboot normally. This still doesn't answer the question how the wrong wm found its way into /etc/windowmanager. Maybe a tahrpup user can answer that.

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

htop shows JWM as running, even though the file you reference in /etc says "openbox."

I'm running 605 with a frugal ext3 on an ext3 partition. No issues with shutdown or reboot from the menu..

==

Wert, did you install with a CD, via USB or some other method?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

Have you updated Tahrpup?
Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates

A lot of bug fixes from Tahrpup 6.0.2 to 6.0.5.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Having run for five months, let's hope so..

Hmm, related? >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 750#921750
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MochiMoppel

#17 Post by MochiMoppel »

I roughly know what happens. It's a bug not limited to tahrpup and I can reproduce it even with my old Slacko 5.6. Want to try?
  • 1) Make a copy of /etc/windowmanager (or remember what it says)
    2) Exit to prompt
    3) Normally you could now restart X by typing 'xwin' or 'xwin jwm'. Don't do that. Make a mistake and type 'xwin JWM' (wrong capitalization) or 'xwin openbox' (wrong wm, provided openbox is not installed) or plain garbage like 'xwin foobox'
    4) Whatever garbage you typed will be written to /etc/windowmanager
    5) JWM will start
    6) You will be unable to shutdown/reboot :cry: (unless you use the "fixed" tahr 6.05, see below)
Sloppy coding, missing input checks, bugs that are not fixed but "neutralized" with work arounds wherever they cause problems. Looks all very familiar.
Semme wrote:htop shows JWM as running, even though the file you reference in /etc says "openbox."
This means that your system shows the same inconsistency: Running JWM while /etc/windowmanager has on record that you are running openbox. Reason for concern...
I'm running 605 with a frugal ext3 on an ext3 partition. No issues with shutdown or reboot from the menu..
I've looked into both 6.02 and 6.05. Both have 'jwm' in their /etc/windowmanager. Did you use a fresh 6.05 iso or did you reach 6.05 through a couple of upgrades? I don't know if this is possible, but this is the only explanation I can think of to find 'openbox' in the file. This would also explain wert's problem.

In 6.02 the shutdown routine tries to kill whatever it finds in /etc/windowmanager. Of course fails if the content is wrong and then does nothing. Wert has a problem.

In 6.05 the shutdown routine has been "fixed". It still tries to kill whatever it finds in /etc/windowmanager, but additionally it tries to kill whatever wm it can think of. Shutting down, Homer Simpson style: Pushing every button on the switchboard, one of them will shut the damn thing down :lol: . Here this marvel in its full beauty:
/usr/bin/wmexit wrote:CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
kill -9 `pidof $CURRENTWM`
killall -9 jwm
killall -9 openbox
killall -9 icewm

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Are you kidding? :mrgreen: Upgrades are asking for trouble!
Did you use a fresh 6.05 iso or did you reach 6.05 through a couple of upgrades?
Having coming across my share of help requests, I tend to agree..
Sloppy coding, missing input checks and bugs that aren't fixed, but "neutralized" with work arounds..

wert

#19 Post by wert »

MochiMoppel wrote:
wert wrote:I don't use openbox which is what's returned there.
..and you are definitely not running openbox, but your Puppy *thinks* that you are running it and now can't terminate the non existent openbox.

As a quick fix you can edit the file /etc/windowmanager and replace openbox by jwm. Now you should be able to shutdown/reboot normally. This still doesn't answer the question how the wrong wm found its way into /etc/windowmanager. Maybe a tahrpup user can answer that.
Thanks man. That has solved the problem. My guess is that I accidentally clicked the change windows manager setting Can;'t remember when. Has to that or else a virus which is nearly impossible.