Lastyear PUP dev solved USB smartDevice-this year Bluetooth?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gcmartin

Lastyear PUP dev solved USB smartDevice-this year Bluetooth?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

USB smartPhones/smartTables/smartDevices
  • Last year, the Puppy development community came together to address connecting USB smartDevices to PUPPY Linux. This advancement has made its way into modern PUP distros.
Bluetooth
  • We will begin to see more and more Bluetooth capable PCs in Puppyland. This hardware Bluetooth antenna supports a plethora of connections needs to the running PC.
Questions
  • PC's Hardware is already reporting this to the booting OSes. Should this be an OOTB feature for Puppy Linux users? Should it be enabled automatically or tied to a wizard upon FirstRUN completion?
Thoughts about this

Edited: Added 1st paragraph and a sentence to clarify the idea this thread's title attempts to ask.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

That depends upon included BT so and ko files. I can forsee 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and 4.1 versions depending upon age of kernel and Puppy. Wizard, but there may need to be more than one bT version made available.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Well not many computers have bluetooth, when you consider desktops don't have it at all.

Terry H

#4 Post by Terry H »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Well not many computers have bluetooth, when you consider desktops don't have it at all.

Some of the major PC makers include bluetooth cards in desktop computers. I have a HP desktop which has wifi/bluetooth. With more NUC style PC's bluetooth inclusion will be more prevalent.

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Terry H wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:Well not many computers have bluetooth, when you consider desktops don't have it at all.

Some of the major PC makers include bluetooth cards in desktop computers. I have a HP desktop which has wifi/bluetooth. With more NUC style PC's bluetooth inclusion will be more prevalent.
But who really buys NUCs though? Also, I haven't seen any bluetooth cards for PCs.

Pelo

Should Puppy have 80% of libs for 1% users ?

#6 Post by Pelo »

Hum? bluetooth, dolby.. my computer can do that, camera is included at the top of my cover.
Should Puppy have 80% of libs for 1% users ? That is the question, is it ?
Blue tooth and 3d make Puppy to big for running in 512MB laptops .
dri : 1.3 Why do I need the DRI?
You will need the DRI if you want to play 3D games (like Quake 3), use 3D modelling software or do anything else that requires fast 3D rendering.
Attachments
dri.jpg
Useful ?
(34.1 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

6502coder

#7 Post by 6502coder »

My 3-year-old Dell desktop (XPS 8700) came with Bluetooth installed. I've used it to DL photos from my cellphone.

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

In reviewing advertisements, yesterday, and visiting my technology-appliance store, whether ANY of us want, it is apparent that beneficial Bluetooth options are everywhere. This is just some of the reasons manufacturers provide this in handhelds, tablets, TVs and PCs.

@Tempestuous has offered the community a solution via this thread. Could this be the right solution for use in the boot process when the hardware reports this to the booting OS?

@Master_Wrong shared this before that