Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 05:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Which takes precedence, Router DNS or DNS setting in OS?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
purple379

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2016, 13:38    Post subject:  Which takes precedence, Router DNS or DNS setting in OS?  

Can my ISP over ride either one? How easy is it for a program off the internet to over ride the DNS I set.

Why should I trust OpenDNS or Comodo DNS over any other DNS?

Is there an easy to use program to compare numbers from different DNS?

Is there a program that lets me store, long term, the IP addresses I frequently use?

Is there any way I can detect the IP address that came back from the DNS being forwarded somewhere else after it hits the first IP address?
s243a

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2016, 14:50    Post subject: Re: Which takes precedence, Router DNS or DNS setting in OS?  

purple379 wrote:
Can my ISP over ride either one? How easy is it for a program off the internet to over ride the DNS I set.

Why should I trust OpenDNS or Comodo DNS over any other DNS?

Is there an easy to use program to compare numbers from different DNS?

Is there a program that lets me store, long term, the IP addresses I frequently use?

Is there any way I can detect the IP address that came back from the DNS being forwarded somewhere else after it hits the first IP address?

You can use a host file if you know the ip address. Use an encrypted protocol like DNSCrypt if you are worried about some man in the middle (e. g. Your ISP) tampering with the info you get from the DNS server. There are DNS Caching programs. For instance I think that tahrpup comes with dnsmasq.

At least I haven't had any issues with the version of the shareInternet pet which is supposed to requird dnsmasq.

If you use a network manager edit resolv.conf after the network manager has configured the internet to specify the DNS serrver. The network manager will set the DNS server each time it runs.

If you want to comepare the DNS from several sites maybe create a deamon to modify the host file based on some logic of trust.

If you want a version of puppy that warns you when an unexpected connection is made then maybe try Pauli[.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2016, 18:44    Post subject:  

It will use the first one it finds and will always look through shortest to longest path:
So: specified>Cached>local machine(HOSTS)> network card> router > isp > dns server > and on.

Be aware that as a result some changes will require refreshes of some of those.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: