no music/video recognized

Booting, installing, newbie
leobloom

no music/video recognized

#1 Post by leobloom »

I'm a new user of puppy ad a fairly new user of ubuntu, I have a question, how can I make the default player work? I tried some .mp3, .wav andothers cd's but it doesn't play them it says something like feebsd error or such, I also tried playind a cd with a divx movie and another one on mpeg but nothing really, what am I doing wrong? should I install some lib or what? Can I install other players like VLC or they are not suited for puppy? I've read that not all the linux files are good for every distro, till now I've only used Debian-based Ubuntu and Xubuntu so I don't really know what I should look for for Puppy And how can I install something? I have no internet connection on the laptop where I've installed it, no ethernet, only usb and cdrom so i thought bout downloading the tar and gz but then? can I run the built-in software to install things also when I simply paste these on the desktop?
sorry for all these questions but I found myself lost without all the idiotproof wiki's that Ubuntu foundation has !

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It helps if you tell us which version of Puppy you're using :) but any recent version should play mp3 files or a CD without any further software required. If you're using Puppy 2.13, click the "Play" icon on the desktop to start Gxine, put a CD in your CD drive, then click "File" in Gxine and choose CD. The CD should play.

leobloom

#3 Post by leobloom »

thanks a lot, Iv'e solved it downloading many codecs (and other stuff too :D) from some websites people suggested to me on the irc puppy channel =o)

anyway this distro is great =o) I just haven't got yet how to get rid of those default applications that I don't need :D