How to install Crossover Codeweaver in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
newlink

How to install Crossover Codeweaver in Puppy?

#1 Post by newlink »

How or which file type crossover codeweaver can i install in my latest LXpup simplicity linux 16.7. I see crossover.deb and crossover.bin available. I could install crossover.deb, it installed but is not visible anywhere in menu and no windows programs worked. crossover.bin installation also does not work.Can anyone tell how or which type file can be installed in this os or in what type of puppy os it works?
Thanks

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Did you buy it or are you trying to trial? You're *WHERE* in our world?

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux

Let's make this easy.. What is it you wanna run?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Takes TWO to tango.

When you're ready to assert yourself and get something accomplished, I'm ready and willing to help you get there!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

jakobcornelis

#4 Post by jakobcornelis »

I am trying to get crossover going in Precise 571. It installed allright, but I can't figure out how to start the program. There is one large file when I search for "crosover", which contains a lot of files, but I can't identify any executable. There is no entry for crossover in the menu, by the way.

I am posting to this old thread because it seems it tried to solve a similar problem, although unsuccessfully I gues. By the way, it wouldn't install in Slacko . Anybody got any ideas?

Jake

HP Compaq
DC7100 SFF
P4 3.0GHz
80 Gb - SATA
1024 Mb RAM
Slacko 531
Slacko 632
Windows XP

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Does Precise 5.71 have all of this?
Minimum requirements for Crossover.

python >= 2.6
gtk2 >= 2.24
python-gtk2 >= 2.24
X.org with XRender and GLX support
200 MB of free disk space and space for installed applications

Why do you not use Wine?
Wine
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jakobcornelis

#6 Post by jakobcornelis »

I assume Precise 571 has everything because I don't think crossover would install if it hadn't, which Slacko didn't, and Tahrpup didn't either.

I have been using Wine for a few applications, including Atlantis, which beats Abiword by a country mile, incidentally, and also for Adobe Digital Editions. All that I could get Slacko to accept was an much older version of Wine, but that worked ok with the applications I ran, including a much older version of ADE. Until last spring. Then ADE stopped accepting acsm files from my local library. That seems a not uncommon problem. Make a long story short, I came to the conclusion that when the library started upgrading to some new software, it didn't like all my old stuff, including an older browser.

I am just trying to restory my ability to borrow books from my library, As you know, Precise 571 is on my short list for a alternative puppy, and installing crossover on it was the first thing in my trials that actually worked - except I can't figure out how to boot it.

Just to avoid not telling you something that will e a clue to the solution, here's the list of files that are in the installed crossover folder as represented by pFind:

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/crossoverui.py
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/glade/crossover.ui
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/bottle_data/crossover.inf
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/data/crossover.assoc
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/data/crossover.menu
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/data/crossover.tie
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/128x128/crossover.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/16x16/crossover.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/256x256/crossover.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/32x32/crossover.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/64x64/crossover.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/images/welcomeCrossOverIcon.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/Atlantis/Backup/I assume Precise 571 has everything because I don't think crossover would install if it hadn't, whic.rtf
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/Atlantis/Documents/I assume Precise 571 has everything because I don't think crossover would install if it hadn't, whic.rtf
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/Downloads/install-crossover-16.2.5.bin
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/my-applications/crossover_16.0.0-1.deb
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/my-applications/install-crossover-16.0.0.bin
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/.packages/crossover_16.0.0-1.files
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/root/.packages/crossover_16.2.5-1.files
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc-base/crossover
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-allapps-howtoadd.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-allappswindow.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-empty.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-full.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-howtoremove.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/usingcrossover.html
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-allapps-howtoadd.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-allappswindow.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-empty.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-full.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-howtoremove.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/usingcrossover.html
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-allapps-howtoadd.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-allappswindow.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-empty.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-full.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-howtoremove.png
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/usingcrossover.html
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/slacko6.3.2frugal/slackosave-1/usr/share/lintian/overrides/crossover
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Recent/I assume Precise 571 has everything because I don't think crossover would install if it hadn't, whic.rtf.lnk
/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover
/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/crossoverui.py
/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/glade/crossover.ui
/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover
/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/bottle_data/crossover.inf
/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/data/crossover.assoc
/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/data/crossover.menu
/opt/cxoffice/share/crossover/data/crossover.tie
/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/128x128/crossover.png
/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/16x16/crossover.png
/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/256x256/crossover.png
/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/32x32/crossover.png
/opt/cxoffice/share/icons/64x64/crossover.png
/opt/cxoffice/share/images/welcomeCrossOverIcon.png
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/opt/cxoffice/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/crossover.mo
/root/Atlantis/Backup/I assume Precise 571 has everything because I don't think crossover would install if it hadn't, whic.rtf
/root/Atlantis/Documents/I assume Precise 571 has everything because I don't think crossover would install if it hadn't, whic.rtf
/root/Downloads/install-crossover-16.2.5.bin
/root/my-applications/crossover_16.0.0-1.deb
/root/my-applications/install-crossover-16.0.0.bin
/root/.packages/crossover_16.0.0-1.files
/root/.packages/crossover_16.2.5-1.files
/usr/share/doc-base/crossover
/usr/share/doc/crossover
/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-allapps-howtoadd.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-allappswindow.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-empty.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-full.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-howtoremove.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/en/html/usingcrossover.html
/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-allapps-howtoadd.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-allappswindow.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-empty.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-full.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-howtoremove.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/fr/html/usingcrossover.html
/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-allapps-howtoadd.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-allappswindow.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-empty.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-full.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/images.unix/crossover-mainwindow-howtoremove.png
/usr/share/doc/crossover/ja/html/usingcrossover.html
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/crossover

I am out of my depth with this. Where is the executable (the only one I found is the installer) to start crossover?

Codeweaver, author of crossover, says they don't know enough linux to be of any help.

By the way, are you over 21 now?

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

If the library changed software requirements. They should have info on what is now required.
Codeweaver, author of crossover, says they don't know enough linux to be of any help.
That tells me they do not care about it working in Linux.

I would stick to using Wine.

I would try using it in Tahrpup 6.0.5

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
YaPI(any iso installer)

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

jakobcornelis wrote:I am trying to get crossover going in Precise 571. It installed allright, but I can't figure out how to start the program.
Have you tried in terminal?

Code: Select all

/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
I'm not so sure as that's good advice, bigpup. Even in Xenialpup, I use 1.7.51. It runs all my Windoze apps perfectly.

If I try using the latest version of WINE, not one single thing will run correctly.

WINE is one of those very temperamental applications; 'regressions' frequently occur, and it's not unheard of for an app to work fine in one version of WINE, but to quit working if you then 'upgrade' to the next version.

By & large your statement is good advice. WINE, however, frequently needs experimentation with more than one version to find out if it 'likes' your apps or not.

Just wanted to clarify that point.

Mike. :wink:

jakobcornelis

#10 Post by jakobcornelis »

First of all, bigpup, I am afraid I misquoted Crossover. What they said was that they "do not know enough about this specific distribution of Linux [it was slacko 623} to provide support for it". Sorry for that.

Meanwhile, thanks for the comment. At this point in time, Wine is not really my main issue. I have run Wine applications successffully for a few years, first on Wary and later on slacko, including Adobe Digital Editions, until recently when it started acting up, which is my current issue. I started trying to remedy this by varying various ADE versions; I even reinstalled Wine, but as Mike W. comments (thanks for that, Mike), I always end up with an older version because the latest doesn't work.

Right now I am concerned primarily with crossover, let's say as an experiment, to see if it can run ADE for me. On the codeweaver's website it itsays it can. What puzzles me is that it seems to install on Precise 571 OK, but that there does not seem to be a command file to get it started. In retrospect, maybe I should have confronted codeweavers with that first, but I was a bit discouraged by their comment cited above. So I will do that next (and will let you know what comes out of that, if anything. After all, they should know at least what their linux-version installer is supposed to leave behind, and thus what's missing in my install.

The library, by the way, referred to several browsers of which they require very recent versions - more recent than what I run (Pale Moon). As for the ADE problem, they referred me (us) to Adobe, who haven't offered either an explanation or, let alone, a solution in response to numerous queries over years. (I tried the latest version of firefox on the library, without success.)

I put "/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover" through the terminal, Oscar; that is the installer.

Sorry for the long diatribe.

Will get back toi you.

Jake

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

You do realize that Crossover is really just Wine!

Could you post the link to this library web site?

About running stuff in newer versions of Wine.
What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.
However, I do agree Wine does go one step forward, two steps back, sometimes.

Adobe Digital Editions Wine report
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33276

Also, the comments give some install info.
YaPI(any iso installer)

L18L

install one version of crossover codeweaver

#12 Post by L18L »

jakobcornelis wrote:I put "/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover" through the terminal, Oscar; that is the installer.
Really?
/root/my-applications/install-crossover-16.0.0.bin
/root/.packages/crossover_16.0.0-1.files
/root/.packages/crossover_16.2.5-1.files
I would try to keep one version only.
Hope that helps but don't ask me me anything about wine or crossover.

jakobcornelis

#13 Post by jakobcornelis »

Thanks, bigpup for that ADE Wine report. I think I saw that before. I don’t think Wine is the issue. Before I tell you in the context of this thread what I think the issue is, let me suggest we start a thread on ADE, or if there is one already, post to that. Leave it with me.

Sure I know Crossover is, or, rather, is based on. Wine. They are supposed to make running Windows applications in linux, or Mac, even easier. I am not yet convinced of that, but that may be my own fault.

If we are going to talk about libraries and their use of ADE, let me save that for a thread on ADE.

To L18L: yes, really. And re the other quote: That is exactly what codeweavers included in the install file, That was sharp of you to catch that; I hadn’t noticed.

Meanwhile I started a new topic on ADE here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 804#970804

Jake

jakobcornelis

#14 Post by jakobcornelis »

I am going to succumb to a few other priorities over the next few weeks, so I will adjourn this topic until I have time again. Meanwhile, my main focus will be on getting ADE to work on Wine, which we have been discussing here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 263#971263. Thanks L18L, bigpup,Mike Walsh, and Oscar.[