Error booting 1.0.4 ms: 'sorry,cant start X...'

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
goeran

Error booting 1.0.4 ms: 'sorry,cant start X...'

#1 Post by goeran »

Hello, old Puppy works fine.
Burned the new as multisession.At the end of bootup I get the message: sorry cant start X, file /usr/x11R6/bin/x missing,
unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr.
Any ideas ?
goeran

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Did you check to see if the download was correct using the checksum file.

#3 Post by Guest »

i have the same problem, i already checked the md5 checksum and it is ok.
any idea?

thx

puppy?

#4 Post by puppy? »

I have this problem trying chubby puppy live 104, but not regular puppy.
Has an error when copying usr_cram.fs into ram, pauses 60 seconds, then displays:

"sorry cant start X, file /usr/x11R6/bin/x missing,
unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr"

tried on a few different machines (although they are same makeup)

anyone?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

puppy? wrote:I have this problem trying chubby puppy live 104, but not regular puppy.
Has an error when copying usr_cram.fs into ram, pauses 60 seconds, then displays:

"sorry cant start X, file /usr/x11R6/bin/x missing,
unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr"

tried on a few different machines (although they are same makeup)

anyone?
This is a regular live chubby Puppy, not multisession Puppy?

Jeremy

#6 Post by Jeremy »

yes. not multi

#7 Post by Guest »

oh well, my cd is multi and i stil can't get it to work.
does anybody knows what is happening?
thx

mike

#8 Post by mike »

Ian wrote:Did you check to see if the download was correct using the checksum file.
this is most likely your answer, people.

well, have you?

#9 Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:i have the same problem, i already checked the md5 checksum and it is ok.
any idea?

thx
yes, i have

mike

#10 Post by mike »

:oops:

my apologies

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

For what it's worth, I've read over and over again in this forum the suggestion that a bad download is the reason Puppy won't work, but I can't remember one case where a bad download was proven to be the culprit.

I do remember an instance of the wrong MD5 checksum being posted on the download site.

Yet we continue to ask people if they checked the MD5 checksum.

I say this checksum thing just gets in the way of finding the real problem. Rather than making it the first thing we ask, let's move asking people if they checked the MD5 checksum down to about number 10, or maybe even consider leaving it off the list.

#12 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote: Rather than making it the first thing we ask, let's move asking people if they checked the MD5 checksum down to about number 10, or maybe even consider leaving it off the list.
i really didn't understand that last thing you said...
well, i have checked the md5 sum and it's ok.
the problem is that i can use my puppy linux, however if i try to use it as multi (typing 5 in the options menu) the error appears.
i have the latest version and im sure it is the multi, and i burned it in a multisession cd as an image and i used it in a computer with a cd burner.
so whats the problem with my cd?

thanks

richiew

#13 Post by richiew »

Hi there.

This is my first post, so if I am way of the mark, go easy on me.

I downloaded Puppy a week ago and have been addicted ever since. During various experiments I came across the same message that you have received, although in different circumstances.

Flash is right that often the checksum question is asked in cases like this (as I have searched for solutions to various problems). My downnload was fine, but the problem was with file corruption after download(usr_cram.fs and pup001 on different occasions).

In my case Puppy was finding a version of usr_cram.fs on a partition that I had trashed. Once I got rid of this, Puppy happily reverted to using the file on the CD.

Therefore, I wonder whether there is another version of usr_cram.fs floating around somewhere (probably corrupted) that is confusing Puppy.

BTW - Thanks to all those who have helped me without realising due to the great resource stored in forum and Wiki.

#14 Post by Guest »

well i haven't used any disk partition i think...
anyway what do you recommend me to do?
thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Well, if you are the same guest as the previous posts in this thread, you burned standard (not chubby) 1.0.4 Puppy as a multisession CD, which you are able to boot as a regular live CD, but not as multisession Puppy. Is that right?

If you have booted it as a live CD before, then richiew's theory may warrant further investigation because Puppy may have created a pup001 file on your hard drive. Do you have any Linux (ext2 or ext3) partitions on the hard drive?

Can you boot with option 2? (I think that's the one which will completely ignore the hard drive.) If so, let us know.

ChiJoan

For new thread on same problem maybe.

#16 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

Here's the link:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=10360#10360

I hope I got it right so you can see my error messages. Next I'll try "2" since "3" didn't work.

Thanks,
ChiJoan

#17 Post by Guest »

i will try with that options.
i don't have any linux partitions on the hard drive.

thanks