strange problem with SB AWE 64 Gold ***RESOLVED***

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
arslan

strange problem with SB AWE 64 Gold ***RESOLVED***

#1 Post by arslan »

Hi Puppy people,

here's my problem: I first used Puppy 2.01 and it wouldn't recognize my SB AWE 64 Gold. So I installed alsacore-1.0.10-0124.pup and alsa-oss.pup, the card was immediately recognized and worked flawlessly. Sweet! :)

A week ago I started using 2.13 Seamonkey Fulldrivers. I run it off the CD, as I did with 2.01. I thought I'd have a clean start, so I deleted old pup_save and swap files from the hard disk. Everything went fine, except that the sound card wasn't recognized again. So again I installed the same two alsa .pup files, hoping that it would solve the problem as it previously did. Wrong! AWE 64 Gold is still not recognized.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

P. S. I don't know if this should make any difference regarding the sound card, but with 2.01 I used Xvesa, now I'm using Xorg. That is the only thing different in my setup.

======================================

Problem solved, here's how:

I reverted to 2.01 and got the sound card working as described above. Then I found /etc/modprobe.conf and copied the final lines:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.10 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
alias sound-slot-0 snd-sbawe
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Booted 2.13 again, added the lines to the end of /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooted.

Happy as I am that my Puppy's barking again, I must say that I find the procedure quite unpuppyish -- unnecessarily awkward and time-consuming.