Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Compiling
Compiling JWM (Solved)
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
Author Message
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 18:58    Post subject:  Compiling JWM (Solved)  

I've downloaded the source code of jwm 2.3.6 and compiled it successfully in tahr 6.0.2.

After running ./configure I just run new2dir make install there was a directory to build a .pet package from compiled sources and files.

Though, there's a difference.

Installed version of jwm is in /usr/bin.
Compiled version pf jwm is in /usr/local/bin.

There's another difference.

- /usr/etc/system.jwmrc (installed version)
- /usr/local/etc/system.jwmrc (compiled version)

Do I need to change anything on compiler options to get the jwm binary into /usr/bin or shall I move this just manually to /usr/bin in the directory containing compiled files?

Here's a package posted by mfb.

Attached are those jwm 2.3.6 versions (32bit & 64bit) that are compiled by myself.

I have tested and am still running the jwm 2.3.6 included in the attached .pet packages in:

- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2

No problems, no issues so far.

Edit:

Found at least now this issue to suppress scrolling through the desktops.
jwm-2.3.6-i486.pet
Description  JWM 2.3.6 32bit compiled in tahr 602
pet

 Download 
Filename  jwm-2.3.6-i486.pet 
Filesize  132.42 KB 
Downloaded  124 Time(s) 
jwm-2.3.6-x86_64.pet
Description  JWM 2.3.6 64bit compiled in tahr64 605
pet

 Download 
Filename  jwm-2.3.6-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  137.05 KB 
Downloaded  91 Time(s) 

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink

Last edited by LazY Puppy on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 18:33; edited 7 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11191
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 19:30    Post subject:  

Try something like ./configure --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 19:38    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Try something like ./configure --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc

That worked out of the box and JWM is running. Version 2.3.6.

Thanks! Very Happy

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 19:52    Post subject:  

There just another difference I noticed after compiling and before creating the .pet package.

The compiled jwm binary inside of the source package is sized at 785 kb. The one that has found its place in the directory to create the .pet package from -as well as the one installed- is sized at 199 kb. Shocked

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 2307
Location: Queensland

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 20:01    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
There just another difference I noticed after compiling and before creating the .pet package.

The compiled jwm binary inside of the source package is sized at 785 kb. The one that has found its place in the directory to create the .pet package from -as well as the one installed- is sized at 199 kb. Shocked


make install strips the binary and any library files during installation

Code:
strip --strip-unneeded /path/to/bin/file/or/lib/file


PS: but " make DESTDIR=/my/app/folder install " doesn't strip the files.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 21:36    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
make install strips the binary and any library files during installation

Code:
strip --strip-unneeded /path/to/bin/file/or/lib/file


PS: but " make DESTDIR=/my/app/folder install " doesn't strip the files.

Ok, I see.

Thanks.

The 32bit jwm binary compiled in tahr 602 seems to work well. Also the right-clicked menu. I'd included the binary and other files into my binaries32_tahr_6.0.2.sfs which loads at boot up to a top layer, so it will override the installed jwm binary.

Compiler options used:
Code:
--build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc


I tried to compile in tahr64 605 using this compiler options:
Code:
 --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc

JWM remains functional after doing new2dir make install.

I'd included the binary and other files into my binaries64_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs which loads also at boot up to a top layer, so it will override also the installed jwm binary.

Though, the graphical desktop refuses to appear on the screen. Checking for jwm -version at the prompt returned a wrong ELF class on a library ...X11.so.6.

Do I need some special options to compile for 64bit in 64bit (terminal output mentioned being compiled for x86_64).

Oh, I should make clear: I had the 32bit compatibility sfs loaded when compiling in tahr64 605.

That's an issue, probably?

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 22:09    Post subject:  

Ok, I'm answering to my own questions! Laughing

Rebooted tahr64 605 without to load the 32bit compatibility sfs.

Removed all the .o files and the jwm binary from previously compiling of 64bit.

Used:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc


After doing a new2dir make install the jwm binary returns at 205 kb (previous compiled binary had equal size to the 32bit version (199 kb)).

Again I'd included the binary and other files into my binaries64_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs which loads at boot up to a top layer, so it will override the installed jwm binary.

Rebooted and...

...the graphical desktop appears on the screen! Very Happy

Currently running tahr64 605 by the compiled jwm 2.3.6.

I will add those two packages to the opening opst of this topic (just a few seconds to go).

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11191
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 22:16    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:

Removed all the .o files and the jwm binary from previously compiling of 64bit.


Just type make clean in the terminal and then press enter and then ./configure etc etc etc
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 22:24    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Just type make clean in the terminal and then press enter and then ./configure etc etc etc
ttuuxxx

Aahhh, how to know that... Laughing

Thanks.

Though, clean is not listed as an option (terminal output) at: make --help.

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11191
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 01:28    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Just type make clean in the terminal and then press enter and then ./configure etc etc etc
ttuuxxx

Aahhh, how to know that... Laughing

Thanks.

Though, clean is not listed as an option (terminal output) at: make --help.

make clean works about 98% of the time with most apps Smile
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 16:21    Post subject:  

Hi.

Now running tahr 6.0.2 plus jwm 2.3.6 for some hours, I found a small issue (though, to me it's not that small).

I don't like JWM's function to scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel, so I included the code below into my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal.

Code:
<!-- Do not scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel-->
<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>


Though, this doesn't work anymore in JWM 2.3.6. Using the mouse-wheel with mouse-pointer pointing to the desktop, scrolls again through the desktops.

Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
MochiMoppel


Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 1390
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 21:52    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
I have tested and am still running the jwm 2.3.6 included in the attached .pet packages in:

- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2

No problems, no issues so far.

Does not work in Slacko 5.6. Desktop and tray areas are visible, but without any content. No ROX pinboard either. Funny, I haven't had a problem with any version in the past, even with those that were not compiled for my system.

LazY Puppy wrote:
Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?
You should ask this question in the dedicated thread JWM: Disable scrollwheel switching virtual desktops
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppus Dogfellow


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1496
Location: nyc

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 00:42    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
Hi.

Now running tahr 6.0.2 plus jwm 2.3.6 for some hours, I found a small issue (though, to me it's not that small).

I don't like JWM's function to scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel, so I included the code below into my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal.

Code:
<!-- Do not scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel-->
<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>


Though, this doesn't work anymore in JWM 2.3.6. Using the mouse-wheel with mouse-pointer pointing to the desktop, scrolls again through the desktops.

Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?


no success in precise but it works well for me in tahr64--thanks, LP.

as to the 4/5 menu--just make them buttons or root menus or something other than annoying (i had ten menus and they still functioned (including scroll up and down) after the 2.3.6-64 jwm pet was installed).

over the pager the wheel still strolls the desktops so you don't entirely rid yourself of the behavior with my suggestion.

or, you could take Mochi up on his suggestion to post elsewhere for a suggestion. Laughing besides, i'm sure he's got a better solution by now.

there's fairly good evidence i don't know what i'm doing:

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
thanks, Mochi. (also thanks to LazyPupy--32 bit jwm 236 pet didn't work in precise (5.7.2), but 64bit worked in tahr64 without a reboot or x restart (precise showed 2.3.6. in response to jwm -v, but it didn't show any traces of the new syntax (my trays should've needed adjusting) or the mouse pointer change that Mochi mentions in the opening post. -reload, -restart --no change. x restart gave me a black screen. reboot gave me a black screen. i removed the dynamic line by accessing the file with another installation. rebooted into the precise install--black screen. anyway, i don't recommend the 32 bit pet in precise, or am i here to say i can't get it to work and seem to have killed that installation)).

Cool Razz Confused


from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=925679#925679

Laughing
(i'm just trying to make light of it. i really liked that installation...)
Confused Cool Laughing

[one of the best things about puppy is getting used to things like this/i was so close to going ahead and backing up the thing, or booting pfix=ram...]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 08:47    Post subject:  

Killed the installation?

Hhmmm...

To avoid such issues that's why I posted these info:

Quote:
- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppus Dogfellow


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1496
Location: nyc

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 18:09    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy wrote:
Killed the installation?

Hhmmm...

To avoid such issues that's why I posted these info:

Quote:
- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2


and to further inform is why i posted
Quote:

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:
Hi.

Now running tahr 6.0.2 plus jwm 2.3.6 for some hours, I found a small issue (though, to me it's not that small).

I don't like JWM's function to scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel, so I included the code below into my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal.

Code:
<!-- Do not scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel-->
<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>


Though, this doesn't work anymore in JWM 2.3.6. Using the mouse-wheel with mouse-pointer pointing to the desktop, scrolls again through the desktops.

Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?


no success in precise but it works well for me in tahr64--thanks, LP.

as to the 4/5 menu--just make them buttons or root menus or something other than annoying (i had ten menus and they still functioned (including scroll up and down) after the 2.3.6-64 jwm pet was installed).

over the pager the wheel still strolls the desktops so you don't entirely rid yourself of the behavior with my suggestion.

or, you could take Mochi up on his suggestion to post elsewhere for a suggestion. Laughing besides, i'm sure he's got a better solution by now.

there's fairly good evidence i don't know what i'm doing:

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
thanks, Mochi. (also thanks to LazyPupy--32 bit jwm 236 pet didn't work in precise (5.7.2), but 64bit worked in tahr64 without a reboot or x restart (precise showed 2.3.6 in response to jwm -v, but it didn't show any traces of the new syntax (my trays should've needed adjusting) or the mouse pointer change that Mochi mentions in the opening post. -reload, -restart --no change. x restart gave me a black screen. reboot gave me a black screen. i removed the dynamic line by accessing the file with another installation. rebooted into the precise install--black screen. anyway, i don't recommend the 32 bit pet in precise, or am i [sic--it was supposed to have said "i am"--didn't mean to pose a question, if that's what prompted the "Hhmm" on your part] here to say i can't get it to work and seem to have killed that installation)).

Cool Razz Confused


from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=925679#925679

Laughing
(i'm just trying to make light of it. i really liked that installation...)
Confused Cool Laughing

[one of the best things about puppy is getting used to things like this/i was so close to going ahead and backing up the thing, or booting pfix=ram...]
.

i understood the risks and accept the results. just passing along what i found and giving some additional info: pfixram is helpful, backups are helpful, you run a risk if you try the 32 bit pet in Precise.

it merely failed for Mochi in Slacko 5.6--maybe that's the only risk standard Precise Pups run--mine's pretty heavily modified (especially as far as jwm goes) and is based on a patched 571 (save folder ability courtesy of gyro and mavrothal). ymmv, hth, and all that. also, thanks again for your efforts. i wasn't being facetious--the stuff doesn't make itself and you stated what it worked on. i sometimes test stuff--"cutting edge" implies some risks, and the thing didn't exist until you made it--it was a cutting edge pet, at least as far as Precise goes. thanks for the opportunity to test, thanks for the working pet i'm currently using in at least one tahr 64 installation (i'll probably upgrade the other shortly).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Compiling
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1218s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0060s) ][ GZIP on ]