X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#301 Post by mistfire »

New x-slacko slim iteration released

Changes
* pEqualizer and vnStat (data usage monitor) with GUI is added
* Some bugfixes

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o6gyk ... 092716.iso

Sage

#302 Post by Sage »

Ten out of ten for commitment and persistence, misti !
Couple of items:
- still get initial message "no instances of X...running", although everything seems to be working. Message doesn't appear after restarting X, but this doesn't bring up the initial clock locale & co. All this can be dynamically fixed, but is supposed to run from the initial setup, isn't it?
- midori is a very bad default, esp. for Brits and certain other nations and subscribers regularly using e.g. BBC iPlayer et al. A better default has to be Dillo, which is sufficient for users to choose their browser from a PPM list and is more economical for d/l, OR set default as Chrome/Chromium which have built -in Flash, allegedly, although I've experienced issues with them and they're over-bloated and supposedly tracked.

Sailor Enceladus

#303 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sage wrote: - midori is a very bad default, esp. for Brits and certain other nations and subscribers regularly using e.g. BBC iPlayer et al. A better default has to be Dillo, which is sufficient for users to choose their browser from a PPM list and is more economical for d/l, OR set default as Chrome/Chromium which have built -in Flash, allegedly, although I've experienced issues with them and they're over-bloated and supposedly tracked.
I don't agree with the Chrome thing. I think midori was used so that you can do javascript and html5 (which dillo can't, I think).

Sage

#304 Post by Sage »

dillo can't
Correct! But read what I said.
Midori - no.

Sailor Enceladus

#305 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Midori is there because it's a middle-ground between dillo and Firefox and suits mistfire's browsing needs already (I think...)

Sage

#306 Post by Sage »

Are you missing the point, SE?
I wasn't suggesting you use Dillo for anything other than selecting a full function browser from the PPM - as I said. Not many folks, I suspect,will choose Dillo as their main browser. Indeed, there's a case to be made for one of the lynx browsers as a default, particularly if you wish to be especially parsimonious and use the CLI just to get started!

Sailor Enceladus

#307 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I don't completely disagree with your "preference". I'm sure there's some distros that do exactly what you describe.

ie. Unicornpup comes with netsurf, which is kind of annoying (lol):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96973

Lucid doesn't have a browser (or does it come with Dillo?), but lets you pick one once you connect:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy528

Pelo

Dillo and elinks are like no browser for most users

#308 Post by Pelo »

Dillo and elinks are like no browser for most users. Simply because security settings prevent you to enter your FAI password. Most of people are now wireless connected. Laptops are to be used in many places, not for working as a fixed big computer linked by a cable to the wall socket.

Sure with computers linked by ethernet these two will work. Everything depends on who use the Puppy, devs working all day long in a studio, in the cellar or the attic, or the family.
Midori makes X-Slacko different.Why to-do a Pupplet which is the same as so many ? Midori is the suggested browser for XFCE..
People who would prefer Dillo or elinks ( :?: ) can install them and delete Midori. Usually they are Linux experts, not afraid by such a process.
If you want to keep puppy alive, your wife should be able to use it, even she does not speak English, furthermore Linux, and she should understand questions asked by the browser.
The basic question is : Is puppy should remain an OS for the families, or for training Linux students. For regular users of the forum (around 170), i know the answer. For the 200.000 users not registered, how could i know their opinion ?
Midori as browser included is one of the reasons why X-Slacko Slim please me. And because Its a Slim Puppy. With Firefox 45 , X-Slacko will be The same size as X-Slacko, or not far from.

mistfire

#309 Post by mistfire »

New X-slacko slim iteration released

Changes:
* xfce-battery monitor replace powerapplet_tray.
* Improved filemnt. It can now mount IMG, VFD, and HFV files.
* Peasyscan and Peasyport is added and improved.
* xfce-cpugraph is added.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... WwyZjU0dWs

mistfire

#310 Post by mistfire »

X-slacko slim 4.2 is in progress. This number version number scheme will changed from mmddyy(r) to 4.2rN. I wish that I would finish that

Pelo

Standard Slacko is now 300MB...(alpha 3)

#311 Post by Pelo »

Mistfire your Slim X-Slacko is becoming as famous as Thin Slacko 5.3.3 :shock:
Many thanks to you to keep this Slacko Slim, not bare, and not Fat. Not so easy.
Standard Slacko is now 300MB...(alpha 3)
Where do these MBs come from ? Mystère et boule de gomme (FR)

mistfire

#312 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo those large MBs came from DRI files, browsers, office applications, mediaplayers and frameworks.

Upcoming X-slacko slim version has initial support for UEFI CD/DVD booting and Secure boot via Fatdog64 bootimage (experimental). The image size will be enlarge due to efi boot image but the Puppy SFS is still small.

mistfire

#313 Post by mistfire »

New x-slacko version released

Changes:
* Based from X-slacko 4.2
* Initial support for UEFI boot and secure boot (experimental) via fatdog64 boot image.
* Improved puppy remaster script. It can remaster UEFI live CD.
* The version number will be the same as X-slacko but it has revision number.

Known issues:
* X server may not work on some computer when booting on UEFI. It can be fixed by modifying xorg configuration file.
* ISO files was enlarged because of EFI boot image. But the SFS file was still small.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... EJDT3h2SlU

keniv

#314 Post by keniv »

All the other iterations of xslacko slim that I've tried I have been able to do a manual frugal install and boot with grub4dos. I cannot boot 4.2r10 in this way. I don't know what "UEFI boot and secure boot (experimental)" is. Can anybody tell me how to boot this. Here is what I used to boot a previous version.

Code: Select all

title XSlackS (sda1)
  root=(hd0,0)
  kernel /0815xsl/vmlinuz psubdir=0815xsl pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /0815xsl/initrd.gz
This is the last thing I tried with the latest version.

title XSl42r10 (sda1)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /42r10xsl/puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs
  kernel /42r10xsl/vmlinuz psubdir=42r10xsl pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /42r10xsl/initrd.gz
Regards,

Ken.

Sailor Enceladus

#315 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@keniv: Mine is pretty much the same as yours and boots 4.2r10 with grub4dos:

title
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /another2/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pdev1=sda2 psubdir=another2
  initrd /another2/initrd.gz
Maybe it's the = in root that causes issues? Theme is nice and clear, depmod still sits for about 20 seconds for me though.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
the three files I dragged from the iso
(18.61 KiB) Downloaded 325 times

Marv

#316 Post by Marv »

My Grub4Dos install boots fine also. The same 3 files as Sailor in the relevant directory and the same pause at depmod noted..

title Experimental  now x-slacko-slim
  uuid 8313-20CB
  kernel /Experimental/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash ignore=usb pdev1=sda1 psubdir=Experimental pfix=copy ipv6.disable=1
  initrd /Experimental/initrd.gz
The ignore=usb parameter is unique to me. I modify all my initrd.gzs to allow it as some of my desktop boxes take forever to return a usb ready flag. Some of the rest of the parameters are just lazy copy and paste relics but do no harm. All my wifi connections are now with PWF 4.1 which uses udhcpcd and acts like a static IP but with the ease of setup of a dynamic. I still run some Pentium Ms where that matters so I just use it across the board.

Updated a previous Slim savefile and all in all it is running very well in this admittedly short trial. Glxgears FPS at 1420 on this laptop, good but about 15% slower than the 1630 the newest LxPupSc -R delivers on this machine. It's a function of the Xorg/kernel/driver match and nothing new.

cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Pelo

is anybody was needing uefi boot ?

#317 Post by Pelo »

is anybody was needing uefi boot which makes bigger Slim Slacko,
A slim slacko can still run on old computers. Is we have new computers with lot of RAM we shall use the Standard X-Slacko.

mistfire

#318 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo sad to say but newer PCs have uefi by default. UEFI boot image was a seperate file and not embedded on sfs file. It does not load on RAM and it is only applicable if you want to boot x-slacko slim from CD on UEFI machine. You will notice that the size of x-slacko slim sfs was still small if the uefi boot image was not included on iso. When booting only sfs files, initrd, and vmlinuz are loaded on ram. If you want to boot from usb with BIOS just get the sfs, initrd and vmlinuz and install bootloader. If you want to boot usb on UEFI just mount the uefi boot image, copy all the boot image contents on the root folder, and configure grub.cfg. Make sure the usb was formatted on FAT32.

In the end, x-slacko slim was still small. It just add the capability to boot on both BIOS and UEFI, newer and old pc for more flexibility.

Pelo

Mistfire, understood, no impact to RAM

#319 Post by Pelo »

Mistfire, understood, no impact to RAM. :)
Two iSOs will be kept at Home, one Parole named 'Slam' and the other one pmaplayer nammed 'Slim'
Perhaps i will let my place as tester. For Me X-Slacko slim is well done, only perhaps mini details here and there. Mouse icone dance on the RH side of the screen, to inform mouse has moved :roll:

keniv

#320 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
Sorry for not getting back on this before now. I have tried a number of things but still have had no luck in getting the latest version to boot.

a. Removed the"=" after root. No luck.
b. Thought file might be corrupted. Deleted and re-installed. No luck.
c. Removed pfix=fsck as I had no save file.
Below is the files I'm using.

I have two other pups on this drive including a version of xslacko-slim both of which boot without trouble.
I only have one other idea and that is my original download was corrupt. I'll try downloading again.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Other pups.
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
image-3.jpg
The files I'm using.
(12.4 KiB) Downloaded 612 times