Color Ink being wasted in Print Greyscale mode.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
James186282

Color Ink being wasted in Print Greyscale mode.

#1 Post by James186282 »

I never bought in to the nearly free printer but it sucks expensive ink all the time scam. My Laser printer is non functional and until I do fix it I'm using this HP Deskjet 8610. Now, I understand that the printer is shipped with special carts that have just enough ink to get you going. So I went in a bought a large B/W cart and I thought I was ok. Then the printer informed me it wasn't able to print because the blue ink had all run out. I double checked and I have the printer default set to greyscale in CUPs. Then the Yellow cart went dry and I'm waiting for the red one to crap out.

How in #$#&$ do you set a stupid printer to print B/W not gush out color ink and the B/W ink? I can't believe how POed this makes me.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

HP scum company stopped 3rd party inks.

""
HP offers optional patch to de-bork its printers after EFF rant.

" Jon Flaxman, chief operating officer at HP Inc, confirmed in a blog post entitled 'Dedicated to the best printing experience' that the company will offer an “optional firmware update

peterw

Ink Jet Printers

#3 Post by peterw »

Hi

I got so frustrated with HP and Canon ink jet printers and integrated ink jets with scanners. The cartridges could be full and hardly used but on the occasions I needed to print something it would not - I guess there is also a date cut out. It was infuriating when this happened, especially when I had to print something like aircraft boarding passes. I wasted many a happy hour trying various codes to get printers into a mode where I could reset the beast and trick it into printing again. The other matter was that on some of my previous units, when the printer would not print it would also not scan - how daft is that?

Anyhow, I acquired an old laser black and white printer and that works fine and if I need to I can push some more toner into the thing. And I also resurrected a very old separate usb scanner and that, obviously, never suffers from a ink problem. Another solution is to get a very old ink jet printer where manufactures tricks are not so well developed and for which you can get cheap non OEM refills.

James186282

#4 Post by James186282 »

I've printed countless pages on this old Laserjet 4 printers. Montly Newsletters TONS of stuff and its been near nil to keep it happy with toner and one drum. Now the power supply is gone and I was ALL too close to putting it on the curb.

This "racket" these printer places have going is just obscene. It makes me want to drop kick this money pit. And cheap? As in cheap ass junk. Its built like its a kids easybake oven or some such crap.

The computer industry is taking its lessons from car places that never built a car that didn't rust away into scrap *Until this Truck I saw advertised just a while ago. Who wants to bet those trucks stay on the road forever?

How do they get away with wasting the color ink when printing b/w? Tell me it ain't so. And this "chip" crap for refilling ink with "genuine" ink and warranty violations etc. How stupid do they think we are? I know I'm pretty stupid but I sure as hell don't like getting ripped off.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#5 Post by James186282 »

For anyone following the thread I had a long talk with customer support. I'm informed that color ink is always used even when printing black and white. That the cartridges come with aprox the same amount of in each cart so when my standard b/w cart went empty and the color ones were close behind it appears it uses all 4 at equal amounts. This is because not printing a color gums up the print head. So... They tried to give me 15% off an order for new ink. Then tried to sign me up where they mail ink to me based on how many pages I print at a "reduced price"

Last it was suggested I use "Draft" mode to use less ink and to slow down the printing speed.

My conclusion. This is a complete and total rip off on every level. I think by the way the printer is built it will fall apart in a couple years where I will gladly drop kick it into the trash. The Electronic Freedom folks have talked the printer places into allowing outside or refilled ink cartridges to be used but they cancel your warranty. SIGH... *Plus you have to find the secret menu to turn off the alerts and warnings that non corporate ink has been detected.

After getting into Puppy linux I knew that software like Windows 10 is just crap designed to make money. Hardware is clearly on the same path. I so hope someone comes out with a printer designed to print pages at low cost but that can't happen?

I'm Investing in a new OLD printer.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]