xorg puppy 2.13

Booting, installing, newbie
mimsmall

xorg puppy 2.13

#1 Post by mimsmall »

When I reboot Puppy 2.13 liveCD the screen shows the tool bar at the bottom, the rest of the screen is blank. If I do a restart the screen is restored. When I shut down and later decide to boot up for another session the fault returns, a restart restores the screen.

This problem did not show up when I was using Puppy 2.12. I printed out the X config file from 2.12 and compared it to the x config of 2.13, they where identical.

Kal

#2 Post by Kal »

I have not lost the rox desktop for some days now, since making sure both top compatibility modes were checked. They are in, right click in the open field of /root or ~ window of ROX, a drop down panel will appear and go to options > compatibility.

Note this tread on same thing,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14675

Good Luck, Kal

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Ah that's interesting. I had ROX freeze on me at startup a couple of times. Once it didn't start at all and I just got the taskbar as you describe (ROX handles the desktop icons and background).
I thought maybe it was something to do with my recent implementation of
XDG menus, although I couldn't see why. But G2 advised the problem might be the Compatibility-mode setting in ROX. So, I've turned that on, fine so far.
-- it will be turned on for 2.14.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

i think Rox works better in compatibility mode, but compatibility mode may have nothing to do with Rox crashing ... or it might

i have never had a problem with Rox 2.5 crashing in versions of Puppy up to 212 ... in 213, Rox does sometimes crash, which makes the desktop disappear

i have not reported this as a bug, because i had my Rox 2.5 dotpup package installed when i upgraded, and i am still using my Rox 2.5 and shared-mime-info ... i tried using 213's Rox, but it didn't work properly (it couldn't find the Rox icons, for one thing), but i think Rox makes a symlink in /root to the icons ... i haven't tried deleting the symlink yet

anyway, i don't know why Rox crashes in 213, but my Rox 2.5 dotpup package also seems to crash occasionally, but it did not in earlier versions of Puppy ... so i don't think you can blame Rox