firefox (~ver1.5)..just suddenly disappears..once in awhile?

Booting, installing, newbie
jonyo

firefox (~ver1.5)..just suddenly disappears..once in awhile?

#1 Post by jonyo »

Hmmm..

Dunno why but when using firefox (~ver 1.5) ..suddenly disappears?:roll:

Starts up again ok.

I'm thinking of un & re installing it with petget.

2.13 live cd

WhoDo

Re: firefox (~ver1.5)..just suddenly disappears..once in awh

#2 Post by WhoDo »

jonyo wrote:Hmmm..

Dunno why but when using firefox (~ver 1.5) ..suddenly disappears?:roll:

Starts up again ok.

I'm thinking of un & re installing it with petget.

2.13 live cd
Reinstalling won't necessarily resolve this. There have been several reports of "crashes" - ie unexplained exits - in Firefox; mostly with v2.0.1 but also with 1.5.07.

I solved the issue by downloading a processor-specific version called Swiftfox. Problem gone!

I have also been trialling the new Opera 10, and apart from an initial glitch with poorly rendered fonts (now resolved) it is even quicker than Swiftfox and still offers the features of tabbed browsing and multi-start downloads.

Hope that helps.

jonyo

#3 Post by jonyo »

Ok,
Downloaded firefox 2 & installed, all seemed ok. Rebooted & still shows firefox (deer park) 1,5 :?: (fox 2 shows up in petget manager installed). Also, if I click on the ver 2 dowloaded..tarball (not sure what it's called :oops: ), it sez that it's already installed & would I like to un install it :P :shock: :roll:

Downloaded swiftfox but involves some manual setup install..which i don't know how to do..yet :( so will be sorting that out but open to quick tips :)

Seamonkey is crashing on me also :? Suggestions? (If it helps, both [SM & Ffox] go away for sure in yahoo groups)

Opera 9.02 is good to go.

live cd 2.13
Last edited by jonyo on Mon 22 Jan 2007, 18:23, edited 7 times in total.

topaz

firefox

#4 Post by topaz »

Hi
I have the same problem with Firefox, Mozilla, Sea Monkey (are they all of the mozilla family) No prob with Opera.

Seems to happen whem usb mouse is run quickley over the screen does not happen with my laptop built in mouse

david G

jonyo

#5 Post by jonyo »

Might add, don't recall having this prob with live cd ver 2.12. What version are you using?
Last edited by jonyo on Thu 25 Jan 2007, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

Decided to remove firefox ver2 with pupget & it just went away as though never installed (pretty sure it was though) :roll:

Checked ver I.5 to see if that made any diff but..still crashing & uninstalled it with pupget.

Want to re install firefox ver 2 but can't find the link. Anyone know where it is? It was supposed to 'auto' load in puppy.

How do I deal with Seamonkey, that is crashing also?

kjs

#7 Post by kjs »

Why not use Opera? Pretty small in size yet powerful and it's email client is good too. Just select the advantage of FOSS: many choices and switch whenever something is better suited.

Juergen
-- in a world without fences and walls who needs Windows and Gates? --
>>> winDOS free since 1998 <<<

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

Ok :D

Went to install firefox 2 & said already installed (but never worked :roll: ) & did I want to overwrite. Said yes & BINGO :!:

Moral of the story. Had to remove v1.5. for 2.0 to fire up.

I'll see hot it works out. I'm assuming that I can try out all those pluggins in puppy? Can't say I even tried 'em In windows. Have to get some kinda media player hapenin.

So, just have to fix crashing seamonkey now. Anyone?

theinfamousj

#9 Post by theinfamousj »

For what it is worth, I have this problem in Seamonkey though not in FireFox 2. I use Puppy 2.11 on a laptop with a touchpad (running Synaptic don't-annoy-me-with-your-tap-to-click driver).

So far there is no rhyme or reason to the crashes.