Is there a firefox 1.0.2 release?

Booting, installing, newbie
MwPhoto

Is there a firefox 1.0.2 release?

#1 Post by MwPhoto »

I've just sorted out my standard 1.0.2 release with mozilla, but I'd prefer firefox. However it doesn't seem to be supported as an add-on (dotpup etc). The only release ISO I can find as a firefox version is 1.0.0.

What should I do to get firefox on 1.0.2 or isn't it possible?

Rhino

#2 Post by Rhino »

There may be a Firefox version forthcoming, but I just downloaded Firefox straight from Mozilla and it works fine. I haven't tested any plugins yet, but I'll do that tonight.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/all

just choose your OS and language and its yours for 4.7Mb!

Let us know how it goes.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#3 Post by nduanetesh »

Downloading firefox (from mozilla, not as a pup package) is one of my first priorities when I fire up a new version of puppy, and I haven't had any problems at all with it. Everything seems to work great. So go for it!

ND

Bruce B

firefox

#4 Post by Bruce B »

In case anyone is interested, I use Firefox outside the pup001 file. I have it already installed on a Suse Linux partition. I just made a soft link (ln -s) to that firefox executable.

It works perfectly. It doesn't seem to matter where you install Firefox as all files are contained in one parent directory and has relative location references to the files in the sub-directories.

The user configuration file with cookies, bookmarks, .js files, cache and etc. will be auto generated and located in the $HOME directory at /.mozilla/somesubdir/somewhere

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Lol. I basically did the reverse. I installed Firefox separately on Puppy and Zipslack, then symlinked their bookmarks and files to a file on the harddrive outside Zipslack (to avoid UMSDOS mangling). This way they share the same bookmarks. I could set it up so my Windows install also used those bookmarks, but I don't really use Windows anymore, so I didn't bother.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MwPhoto

Thanks all - it works

#6 Post by MwPhoto »

Thanks everyone, I just downloaded and installed firefox and it works fine :)

Malcolm

mjg

#7 Post by mjg »

Just wonder if there can be a Firefox/Thunderbird edition of Puppy with each release?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

onward and upward - sideways and inward

#8 Post by Lobster »

mjg wrote:Just wonder if there can be a Firefox/Thunderbird edition of Puppy with each release?
There were three releases for Puppy 1.0.0 (I think it was) of Puppy with Firefox, Puppy with Opera and Puppy with Mozilla.

This however puts a considerable strain on MasterPup Barry.

Therefore the decision to use Mozilla (which is incorporating Firefox code) was made and this is the main browser for Puppy. John Murga preferred Opera and created a special 1.0.2 version (with other specialities)

I am using Firefox which I am finding more stable (that is Mozilla not Puppy) but totally agree with using Mozilla because of the amount of reused and usable code (keeping Puppy small)

The answer to the question of a special compile of unleashed for firefox, is a question of who is up for it? You will learn a lot - for sure. Anyone? Be frisky!

John Murga is working towards a new Puplet which I am calling Linux Tmxxine Puplet, which is basically a fat pup which can compile Puppy in Puppy - a developers release.
Hey John did you know it was called that - LOL

That will enable GuestToo and John and Barry and maybe others in the future to do all their development from Puppy.

I did get permission from Barry to create a special version of Puppy
Linux Tmxxine BUT I find the direction, interest and focus should be on making and developing a better Pup. That is why in the process of learning about Puppy I find it is going in all the right directions and I would rather be a part of that. :)

http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/Tmxxine_Linux

Anther future possibiity with Pupget and Dotpup will be the ability to remove a browser and install a preferred one. However there are dependency issues that are being addressed with a new way of ordering information (that I do not really understand) that was introduced in Puppy 1.0.2
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mjg

#9 Post by mjg »

There were three releases for Puppy 1.0.0 (I think it was) of Puppy with Firefox, Puppy with Opera and Puppy with Mozilla.
That was my recollection. I tried to like Mozilla for browsing and email, but just couldn't cut it. Couldn't get the calendar working properly either.

Lobster's comments make sense though, and I don't want to stress the Puppy Master, so if anyone has the skills to develop and release a Firefox/Thunderbird version like the Opera one, that would have to be a good thing. :P