Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 21:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Localhost not working in Precise ( thus no printing .... )
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 06:08    Post subject:  

For the first you can simply drag the binary of choice onto your desktop.

Most are in /usr/bin or /usr/share/applications.

For the third, look here.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 06:12    Post subject:  

@marcleon

OK, I think I understand your requirements.

Firstly, let's differentiate between compiled and non-compiled languages.
Compiled are those like C or ASM (even Bacon) that takes your source code and compiles it to an executable binary.
There are advantages, i.e. they run quicker and one can statically (include) any dependencies in the final standalone binary executable.
Disadvantage, any changes require going back to the source and then compiling again.
For big programs, this can be very time consuming.

To make even simple GUI pgms, say in C++, is a real pain.
Bacon is far better in this regard.

Now for non-compiled languages (a.k.a. scripting).
Quite a large percentage of Puppy pgms are actually scripts, i.e. there is no binary executable.
For example a Bash script will be parsed and executed by the Bash binary already in Puppy.
Same goes for Perl, Python and others.

One nice thing about Linux, (if you don't already know), is the simple integration between CLI and GUI.
So you can take an ugly Bash script and wrap that in a GTK-dialog script and hey, presto, GUI output.
So the "backend" commands, getting data and so on are normal cli Bash commands but they are displayed in the GUI.

Yad is a similar wrapper to GTK-dialog.

When I first started with Linux, I hated Bash, but slowly I got used to it and rather enjoy it now.
Start slowly, do simple things then as you gain experience and confidence, go for more complex things.
It will serve you well as bash can then be used with GTK-dialog, Yad, called from Bacon (to extend it's capabilities) or it can even be used on it's own.

Have a look at Bacon, GTK-dialog and Yad.
Of course for the last two, you will need Bash.
Take a look at Zigbert's excellent GTK-dialog tuts on this forum as a starting point.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 06:19    Post subject:  

Link to Zigbert's GTK-dialog tips:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=274035#274035
marcleon

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 08:05    Post subject:  some thoughts and printing ........ again :(
Subject description: How to ptogress, and what elements are really needed to print?

Here we go ...again

As you may see from my first ( the one in 2014) post I am (still) a Fatdog64 fan
Due to some external factors my time is however quite limited and so I went back to my first love.
This is in no way a defense of one variant or another but:

Lucid Puppy is very nice I even have printing setup .. but I have 12G of Ram and a 64 bit processor

Just lighthouse : I gave it a very good looking but then I have no correct keyboard for much I try (no @ for example)

Fat Precise is ruled out for reasons I don't want to mention ( not technical)
and also has no localhost access so no printing ( or is there a possiblity through samba???)

I am slowly getting into bash, grub and getting understanding about how pieces fall together.

-----------------------------------------------------
Now before breaking anything again

How do I get that "@|@#@ " printer dcp-j4120dw printing on fatdog without killing cups or recieving messages that I have to have a wrapper that is not there

As a"progressing end user" I find things at that level a bit difficult
----------------------------------------------------
I you permit I DO THINK SINCERELY that without the users aid I would already have gone to one of the mayor distros depriving myself of the fun of the travel.
-------------------------

Personally what I expect as basic functionality ( and this is a personal opinion so take it as this)

- display
- some general programs ( text, multimedia display, image )
- printing possibility

for the other options it's quite personal.

Thanks to all.
But please don't throw too much technical lingo at me..... I am still not used to it

Cheers
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 09:58    Post subject:  

Marc, is this about printing aboard Fatdog64-630?
marcleon

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:24    Post subject: printing in fatdog
Subject description: its 701

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics
Memory : 11657MB (1122MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [701]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed Oct 5 16:13:52 2016
-Display-
Resolution : 2560x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - USB camera
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
Video Bus
Game KB
Game KB
PC Speaker
ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
sonixb
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST1000DM003-1CH1
ATA ST1000DM003-1SB1
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1
Seagate Expansion Desk

This is a copy of system info ( I had never used it until I knew you ..... hihi)

Fatdog 701 is the one I had at hand I have a frugal install together with that other commercial OS

FD701 covers most of my needs and has the expanded screen resolution ..... 2560 x 1080

Of course ... no pets allowed. So the nice system with debbi goes down the drain.

I want to wait a bit with 710 as my experience with "fresh" is a bit decieving.

If I succeed I think it would be good I structure and recompile the information we exchanged into one post .
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:35    Post subject:  

Is this the frugal where you ran the Brother driver installer and I posted suggesting it may have broken CUPS?

If yes and you're unable to reach localhost, take a shot @ what follows..

Toss these: rm -rf /var/spool/cups /var/run/cups /var/cache/cups

Reinstall CUPS.

These you should see in Gslapt:

cups-1.7.3-x86_64-2.txz -- YES
cups-cloud-print-041715-noarch-1.txz -- NOT
cups-filters-1.0.45-x86_64-1.txz -- NOT
cups-std-1.7.3-x86_64-1.txz -- Probably

Then: /etc/init.d/cups start

Can you now reach "http://localhost:631"?

No?

Me?
I'd get rid of everything in /etc/cups and redo this procedure.

Can't access it now? What've ya got to lose?

Not much if you don't have printing.

peterw

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 13:30    Post subject: Cups in fatdog
Subject description: ppd files and cups

Hi

Just had a look at my frugal install of Fatdog64-702 with a kernel 3.18.7 on a Acer C720 machine. Clicking on Control Panel Icon and then System brings up the page which includes CUPS manage printing and clicking on this brings up http://localhost:631/ with the usual choices. I gave the ppd file that you will probable need in an earlier post on this topic.
marcleon

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 13:44    Post subject:  

Hello Semme and Pete

Semme
this is a fresh install
I can reach localhost:631

Pete
the problem I had was that the cups driver asked me for a cupswrapper is this necessary in Fatdog also

I will backup all my files ( for if .....) then try your file

Thanks

I feel like when they gave me my first bike ( and I felt a lot ....)
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2016, 15:42    Post subject:  

Whaddaya think Pete?
bro_wrapper.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.43 KB
 Viewed   115 Time(s)

bro_wrapper.jpg

marcleon

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2016, 01:18    Post subject: fatdog54 printing
Subject description: the cupswrapper

I redowned the file Peter left before.

let's see now I have to uncompress that manually ( no I don't know why)
marcleon

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2016, 01:21    Post subject:  

itt contains only a ppd file.....

makes me feel as if the bike is too big for me
peterw

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2016, 04:11    Post subject: Adding a printer to a Puppy distro
Subject description: How to use a ppd file

Hi marcleon

I will write down the instructions in detail for you. Forgive if you think that they are too simplistic.

First of all I will let me tell you about that ppd file that I have sent you. And this quote describes it a well: "PostScript Printer Description ("PPD") files describe the capabilities of each printer and are used by CUPS to support printer-specific features and intelligent filtering." In other words the CUPS programme can do most of the printing preparation work but it needs a reference sheet of how to use a specific printer, since they can all be a little bit different in the way they are constructed to work. The ppd file I sent you is needec by CUPS for you printer.

I had to gzip the ppd file up because I have not found a way of sending a ppd file via the forum as an original one. The rules don't allow it. Clicking on such a file normally brings up an option to unzip it in Puppy distros. To make it easier for later on put that unzipped ppd file in Home/mydocuments.

Okay, here are the steps you need to take.
1. Plug your printer into your laptop and switch it on.
2. Either click on the Control Panel icon on the bottom of your screen, about 7 icons to the right from the menu icon and then choose System and CUPS manage printing. This will bring up your browser "local.host:631". Or you can just type in to your browser "local.host:631" without the quotes.
3. In the opened up CUPS window select Administration/Add Printer/ and you should get a screen listing all that CUPS know about printers and locations. The Local Printers should have your printer's name. Select it and go down to Continue.
4. Another screen comes up with details about your printer which you can amend. You can add location if you want. I always click the box to Share the Printer. After that click Continue.
5. The next screen list all the Brother printers that CUPS knows about and ask you to select one. However, unless you are lucky your will not be there. Go down to Browse alongside "Or Provide a PPD File". Browse to your documents and select that ppd file. And open it. CUPS will now add the name of that file alongside the Browse button. Click "Add Printer".
6. The next page is the "Set Default Options for Brother........." page. Under it you can adjust the default options. There is only one setting that you must adjust which is Page size. CHANGE IT from Letter to A4. Then press "Set Default Options".
7. You get a Page telling you that the default options have been successfully set. And after a brief pause the page changes to tell you the status of your Printer. Press Maintenance and "Print Self Test Page" to test it all works. It should now print a page.
8. Before you leave this page explore what you can do under Maintenance and Administration. You can now close the CUPS pages.

I hope that I have not left anything out. Let us know.
marcleon

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2016, 06:30    Post subject: fatdog64 printing
Subject description: close but there we go again

Hi Peter

Everything went quite smooth except I have spot enabled so I had to do some "variation on the theme" ( not allowed )
but I did reach the end of the cups explanation as you described it ( holding my hand ... Smile )

then the printer was added but ..... there was no printing the jobs line says stopped

so:

Some searching ( I waited a certain time because the printer did a kind of busy state) brought me to here

Brother_DCP-J4120DW Brother DCP-J4120DW Brother DCP-J4120DW

CUPS Idle - "File "/usr/lib64/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_dcpj4120dw" not available:

No such file or directory"

so I went back to the Brother site (brother.es) went to the downloads, passed the screens where there tell me there is only an English or Chinese version ( I selected English :_)

Then went down the whole page and found cups source

brother_dcpj4120dw_GPL_source_3.0.1-1.tar.gz

this file I have unzipped and it delivered

brother_dcpj4120dw_GPL_source_3.0.1-1
the directory shows
brcupscommands.h
brcupsconfig.c
Makefile

This smells that I have to compile that

I think ( If I am not wrong but I don't remember how to know ) I have some way or another downloaded gcc
(for trying I typed gcc in the console and it says gcc: fatal error: no input files compilation terminated ... so if it says I am wrong it's there ..... )

as I see a .c extension I suppose this will be the way ????

what now

peterw

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2016, 07:23    Post subject: Printing
Subject description: Brother Printer

Hi marcleon

In the past, on some set ups, I have had CUPS complain about lack of a filter. I am not sure what the filter does. If you look at Semme last post he has an image with the file you need on it. Perhaps, he knows more about it. I will have a further look tonight.

Compiling on Linux is not my favourite occupation because of dependencies. However, with the Brother source code it may be ok. If you have to do it you need to load a dev........sfs file which contains all you need. It should be in the Puppy Package Manager. I am not at a Fatdog PC so can't give more details at the moment.
Page 3 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: