Cinelerra 4.2 videoeditor

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
don570

Cinelerra 4.2 videoeditor

#1 Post by don570 »

Cinelerra 4.2 video editor
for Quirky6 Precise Raring Slacko w5 rolx and probably many others...

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/5d2cffaa
37.2 mb

Download and open archive to get the goodies.

Somebody compiled this in Wary 5 (presumably) and posted it.
I've changed the package ---> It needed a proper desktop file
and the mo files didn't work so I removed them.

Whoever did the compiling knew his stuff 8)
It works well opening .mov videos

list of archive contents:

cinelerra-w5-4.2a.pet --> application
examples.tar.gz ----> some optional examples
optional fonts pet package - not needed!!!
libxv.pet ---->needed only by Quirky6

Tip: The first time run from terminal (/usr/share/cinelerra/cinelerra)
And check if more dependencies are needed.

Some notes:

- avi files --> some will open properly, others don't. Example package
has an avi file that won't open properly.

- mov format ---> most seem to open however I included an example
where the audio was in reverse?? EDIT: version-4.2 opens this correctly

- mpeg and mpeg2 seem to work best. They are fast and reliable.

-click on edit button , drag video window to select , copy command and
paste command. Fading is done by dragging of a white horizontal line.
Lots of effects are possible

- render and save as quicktime for linux (I assume this is mov format??)

- When you open a video file make sure that it is replacing a previous
project rather than appending. Also watch bottom of cinelerra window
to observe messages. The time to load is given (ETA)

- Viewer window doesn't work but fortunately Compositor window does.

- There are a couple of sites for newbies that I recommend .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzhidfw5koQ
http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/
http://robfisher.net/linux/video/cinelerra1.html

- Opening a mp3 file (or wav ) is possible and you can edit it.

Last edited by don570 on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 00:50, edited 3 times in total.

Dud

Re: Cinelerra 2.2 video editor for Quirky6 Precise Raring Slacko

#2 Post by Dud »

Download and open archive to get the goodies.

Thank you. I will take a look in time for my next project.

I was able to compile cinelerra 2.2 in Quirky6.

I presume this is the CV fork..? How does it relate to v4.1 in pet_packages-5 ?

- Viewer window doesn't work but fortunately Compositor window does.

Likewise 4.1

Cheerio,

don570

#3 Post by don570 »

I found cinelerra 4.2 'hidden' at the ol smokey site

It was well compiled but the mo files don't work.

I checked in rolx . It should work in many other distros.

See first post to download.

mikeslr

Thanks don

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks.

mikesLr

Pelo

Downloaded Cinelarra 4.2

#5 Post by Pelo »

Downloaded Cinelarra 4.2. On test soon.
I had in my tool case cinearra 2.0.pet but was exploding as soon as clicking on ! :)
cinelerra-w5-4.2a.pet: 9404 K (only)
First step : reading a video (MP4) is ok. Fine !
Further test : Editing video, hum... ! Audio quality hum...

"Otherwise I found a workaround to import correctly in cinelerra:
* Open the AVI file with Audacity. It will load only the audio track.
* Save the audio track as .ogg
* Open the AVI file with Cinelerra
* Delete the audio track and substitute it with the .ogg audio file

This actually works, but I have problems also rendering the file with Cinelerra: a very few formats seem to be supported, among with AVI, but the rendering of the audio is terrible (once again)."
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 07:36, edited 4 times in total.

Dud

#6 Post by Dud »

That was quick!

Thanks again, 4.2 is back on the Heroine Virtual track (http://www.heroinewarrior.com/) and is mostly bugfixes for 4.1

Should be painless for me to migrate.

Cheerio.

mikeslr

pet for cinelerra unpacked at /mnt/home

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,
Thanks again don570 and the anonymous creator.
With the limitations don570 noted, Cinelerra works in raring, Saluki and Carolna. Also Slacko 5.6/7 and Tahrpup. As I test and often run several puppy derivatives, when one application works in many I prefer --rather than using disk space to install pets into each-- to run such application either as an SFS or [whenever possible] as an external application [program folder] unpacked at /mnt/home.
This is easy to do. After you've unpacked the archive, just change the ending of only the cinelerra pet from "pet" to tgz, and then unpack it. As it's usable in several Pups, I renamed the directory simply to "cinelerra". Move the resulting directory to /mnt/home. You can start it by just clicking its executable now in /mnt/home/cinelerra. But to make life easy, I created a pet which will generate a menu entry (and facilitate adding it to lxde and xfce panels).
Running applications in this manner has several advantages: (1) disk space is cheap; (2) the default limitation of 6 SFSes doesn't have to be modified as it uses none; (3) as it does not make use of the "merge-file" system, it can avoid conflicts with libs used by other applications; and (4) if it doesn't work, uninstalling the pet doesn't break anything as the files installed by the pet are unique.
I've attached the pet to link cinelerra unpacked to /mnt/home.
After installing this pet, read and follow don570's instructions in the first post of this thread to see if any of the other pets in the archive are needed or wanted.

mikesLr

Edit: 11/19/2015: Continued here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 496#873496
Attachments
cinelerra-mntHome-w5-4.2a.pet
Pet to link to Cinelerra.pet unpacked to /mnt/home with folder renamed "cinelerra" w/o the quotes
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

What about Editing video ?

#8 Post by Pelo »

What about Editing video ? Are you successful ? Pls can you explain with a short How-to. Because... i didn't succeed doing more than reading the video. :?
I am not the only one, see comments on YOUTUBE links.
in Badass, cinelerra shuts down as soon as you try to upload a file ( mpeg in my case).
Later tries = cinelerra works when you change yr video .mpeg to .mp4 with FFconvert.
Le fichier passe de 4MB à 13MB bien que la taille de l'image a été réduite de 852x480 à 600x480.
The movie size increases to 13MB although frame size had been reduced.
Reading works. Now i will try edting the video.

Mpeg to avi : Cinelerra inoperates. with .avi (no video track).
J'abandonne, I give up.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
changed audio to mono and size increases ! (huge increase).
(23.66 KiB) Downloaded 674 times

mikeslr

Cinelerra for "Every Pup" including 64Bit

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

In response to a question regarding what video editors function under Slacko, I had occasion to revisit this thread, and my post above.

Sorry, Pelo. I can't answer your question. The furthest I've gone with Cinelerra is to start it and open some vids. Frankly, Cinelerra has so many "bells and whistles" that it's learning curve is steep. Learning how to effectively use it is on my "to do" list. But, frankly, Avidemux for cutting clips and Openshot or Kdenlive for assembling them pretty much fulfills my actual needs.

In the above post I mentioned running Cinelerra from /mnt/home. Wondering whether it might work under Tahrpup, I discovered that somehow during one of my cleaning fits the cinelerra folder at /mnt/home bit the dust. In re-creating it I realized that cinelerra appears to be "portable" and can be run from any Linux formatted space.

Edit December 27, 2015:

To run Cinelerra, download a package from http://cinelerra.org/2015/ to a temporary folder. I chose the offered Ubuntu version as I most often boot into TahrPup. [When I started it in TahrPup via the terminal no errors or missing files were reported]. Extract the package. Rename the Extracted folder "cinelerra32" without the quotes. Move that folder whereever you want, As I want to run it from several 32Bit pups, I placed it on /mnt/home. The pet attached to this post created a menu listing for it.

If, for example, you prefer to run cinelerra from "pup-space" --because, pehaps, you only run one Pup frugally installed to a non-Linux formatted partition-- you can place the extracted folder in /opt. After installing the attached pet, open /usr/share/applications/cinelerra.desktop in a text editor, and edit the Exec line to point to where ever the cinelerra binary may be.

If you're running a 64-bit Pup, you can also download an appropriate package directly from Cinelerra's website. The pet I provided doesn't care whether your cinelerra is 32Bit or 64Bit.

As I run both 32Bit and 64Bit Pups, with the cinelerra folders for both on /mnt/home the attached pet only differs from the previous one in that it now points to the /mnt/home/cinelerra32 folder rather than just a /mnt/home/cinelerra folder.

Before downloading the package directly from cinelerra, don570's build worked on every 32Bit Pup I've tried -- which is most of the 5 Series with the exception of some Xfce versions of the jwm or openbox versions that I did try. I expect the same of the package downloaded from cinelerra,org

mikesLr
Attachments
cinelerra-mntHome-w5-4.2a.pet
creates menu entry for cinelerra on /mnt/home in folder named cinelerra32
(8.67 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

#10 Post by kiramm »

i did following

but no cinere...5 to start

THIS:
...o run Cinelerra, download a package from http://cinelerra.org/2015/ to a temporary folder. I chose the offered Ubuntu version as I most often boot into TahrPup. [When I started it in TahrPup via the terminal no errors or missing files were reported]. Extract the package. Rename the Extracted folder "cinelerra32" without the quotes. ...

??QUOTES??etc only for experts.((((

i think for puppy one needs a pet sfs

can not somebody plese do it??with all input output format

linux without a real video editor is really not advice to somebody my friends they will laugh....

the don s stuff works cinerella comes but but what to cho0se excatly in ffconvert???that allways ok for cinerella.....

thank u for helping me
Attachments
what should i choosefor bbwst result2016-10-08_04.22.28.jpg
(84.76 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
_2016-10-08_04.08.28.jpg
(44.13 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
_2016-10-08_03.57.07.jpg
(27.91 KiB) Downloaded 931 times
_2016-10-08_03.59.57.jpg
(59.48 KiB) Downloaded 948 times

Pelo

Do you succeed in editing video ?

#11 Post by Pelo »

Esmourguit has cinelerra in his quickpet for Slaxen 6.0.2. My question is
'Does cinelerra works for you'
Because installing and reading movies is not his job. Puppy has many media players. Cinelerra would not be a new one. Cinelerra's Job is for editing videos, to be compared to openshot.
Do you succeed in editing video with cinelerra and what is the plus compared to openshot
I edit my video with you tube tools, that resquest only a browser and flasplayer up to date.
Misery is that Slaxen provides cinelerra but no Xvidcap or other video editing tools. But the reason is that the Puppy-makers job is Linux, not Video.
Unfortunately all the demos for Puppy Linux are done by private society (Excepted for Puppies de America del sur, Puppy Usarios are producers. But not with Cinelerra ,to much complicated.)

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

#12 Post by kiramm »

this?

but is not in fr languge and seems to work same bad like other workig cinerelaas

this video just gives music loaded and no video visible for example even tp mp4 with ff... trasformed to work better..

plese help me....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3UM2 ... XZ4TDNUY28

original video from camera here ,,, https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3UM2 ... XZ4TDNUY28

same problem
Attachments
_2016-10-08_20.50.05.jpg
(42.95 KiB) Downloaded 848 times

Pelo

other applications than Cinelerra are for Puppy Linux

#13 Post by Pelo »

Help you, i will, but for other applications than Cinelerra because i never succeeded to change anything with it. Yes Cinellerra can be launched with Puppy.Linux. Then what to do whit it ?
Cinelerra is used in professionnal studios, with lot of people working ( For tV show, or advertising clips)

mikeslr

Cinelerra for Any Puppy and DebianDog

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I just tried the current 64-bit version under Tahrpup64, which you can obtain here, http://cinelerra.org. The previous --circa 2016, I think 4.6--versions (both 64 and 32 bit) downloaded directly from the cinelerra group ran under every Puppy and DebianDog I threw at it.

See my post above regarding running cinelerra from /mnt/home. But, if you prefer you could locate it in /opt or anywhere else.

Under Tahrpup64, Xeniualpup64 and XenialDog64 Cinelerra 6 from /mnt/home opened in under 2 seconds.

But for those who may be interested, here's a link to the thread of battleshooter's pet which somehow got placed in "unsorted": http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46346.

mikesLr

pagestep007

Cinelerra-CV version2.3 ?

#15 Post by pagestep007 »

Hi All.

I have been using Cinelerra 2.2 until now (Sept 2017) and went to do an upgrade. I noted after some confusing searches, that there are 3 different forks. The CV version is the community version and is supposed to be the most stable of the three. CG 5.1 works for me, and also HV 6... but I would like to give CV 2.3 a trial. Stability is of great importance to my workflow....but I did not get too far in trying to compile it from the source. Is there anyone who might be able to help? Thanks in advance.

Pelo

can you edit 'at least' something..

#16 Post by Pelo »

pagestep007 what do you do with Cinelerra; It's and edition tool, can you edit 'at least' something..
All messages about install are understood; Cinelerra is easy to install.
But is it useful ? I can order and keep lot of machines at home, tractors, aircraft, motorbikes, i will use only the car, because aircraft could be a very nice machine, i am unable to make it take off. The same with cinelerra.

"Cinelerra est extrêmement capricieux dans les formats supportés …
Les mpeg 2 ont parfois un décalage son/image
La majorité des MP4 sont hyper hyper lents au décodage rendant le programme quasi inutilisable et le rendu extrêmement lent :x MP4 very slow
Le support des .avi est au petit bonheur la chance (je n'en ai jamais vu un fonctionner en dehors du DV et du M-Jpeg) :evil: avi never works
les .mkv sont hors de question :D MKV out of question.. Unusable.
Le support des codecs images et son seulement ne semblent par contre pas poser de problème :idea: serviceable !
Les formats restants sont en fait les .mov (et attention, pas tous !) et le fameux format DV.
You need .mov .Dv to work with cinelerra
Ubuntu users, having used Cinelerra
Check Unbuntu English fora :!: sure you will find feed back from UK and US citizens.. english spoken. But everybody is free to install; and install, ...and install.. Untill nothing else to install..
14 minutes to watch en français
Attachments
tutorials.jpg
ust look some minutes if that fits your videos. Euuuh of course you need some videos !
(24.14 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

pagestep007

Cinelerra video editor

#17 Post by pagestep007 »

Thanks for the reply Pelo. Yes indeed I am using Cinelerra. I am a New Zealander, TV producer in Colombia South America. I finally got fed up with Adobe and Windows stranglehold on video production and went linux. I tried at least a dozen flavours of systems, and settled on Puppy as THE BEST to get the MOST out of old or budget equipment. We use equipment that even in South America gets thrown away, and even squeeze 4k video out of computers that either don't even boot on windows or don't have even enough life to run a video editing program under window.(and don't even mention mac. I never got a mac machine to edit properly , EVER) Puppy takes nothing to run on, and gives everything to the editing program. I tried every editing program available and found Cinelerra to have the most potential. Potential is the operative word. All the other editing programs I tried (kdenlive being decent) took too many system resources to leave much for rendering. Cinelerra was small and installed immediately, but... was compatible with virtually nothing, codec or format wise. So I just kept it on the system awaiting improvement.
I got version CV2.2 going and it had improved a lot, and so I began using it particularly to finalize Animations. It manages image sequences well and for its size and resource consumption along with the background preview rendering became a useful tool.
In regular checks to see about upgrades I got confused by various versions appearing. Further research, as pointed out on the community version site, I found there are three independent development versions. I assume the 4.2 you are using is not the community version. The most advanced is the HV ( V6 at the moment, developed by the original developer Adam Williams) which is greatly advanced, but several good features like the background preview rendering and icons in the resources panel are gone and it is unstable. The old machines we use become useless without the background rendering preview. The community version is more stable and that is what I need. I cannot muck around when getting projects processed. Version GG5.1 (good guy,aligned closer to the community version than Adam Williams, but still independent) is good, but lacks stability and the background rendering only works on some machines and crashes others.
The lower number 2.3cv does not mean the version will be much less advanced as the other two versions, but as it is a community version, it is likely to be more stable.That is what I need. I lost the original cv2.2 pet install file, so I want to get the 2.3cv going.
I found an opensus RPM version of 2.3cv, and tried installing a gazillion dependencies, and got stuck at libstdc++.so.6 . It cannot find versions 17 and 18, as the symlink is directed to a version 22 which is installed, but if I change the simlink to the 17 or 18, all the libraries dependent on the version 22 complain. Does anyone have a solution for that?

Pelo

pagestep00, at least somebody who can give real information.

#18 Post by Pelo »

ah, at least somebody who can give real information. TV producer with Puppy, what an honour. You are welcome to our forum, to give accurate opinion about Cinelerra, wich is really too much for me, just cutting and sticking parts of video (with avidemux).
Please correct my information if i was wrong, mostly about type of videos that can be worked with Cinelerra
If i have the pet, i will get it available for download ( cinelerra 2.2)

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

That's quite something, to hear that Puppy's being used in this way..!

I've just re-packaged this 4.2 version of Don's, and, like him, found that it works in absolutely every Pup I've thrown it at. I've been through the entire kennels this morning, and haven't had a single failure yet.

I'm interested to hear about this 'community edition'. Whereabouts did you find this.....and is it generally available? I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I've been using OpenShot on & off for a while, but it's definitely 'buggy' as hell.

I've made a few Puppy tutorials (only easy ones!) with SimpleScreenRecorder, but for one of them I had to stitch together video from one machine with commentary produced on another machine (while watching the video on the first), since the first one has problems with sound recording! OpenShot's awkward to use, so I wanted to give Cinelerra a try, since it's supposed to be fairly lightweight. At least the older versions are; the current 64-bit version which I've just packaged up runs out at over 150MB installed.....

Everybody seems to rave about KdenLive, but since it's a KDE app, it's a very large package; it wants most of the dependencies from the KDE desktop.....and that's no featherweight, as I'm sure you're aware..!

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

Give Cinelerra a chance, Mike

#20 Post by Pelo »

Give Cinelerra a chance, Mike, then feed back. You will like openshot once cinelerra tried :)
About the spirit, our devs in the past tested applications, judge if accurate for little Puppy Linux, then if positive trim the fat to get a light pet.
I can say without few risks that Cinelerra is not for us. We have a TV producer, we shall not have two...
:?: not sure, why to be so pessimist..