Which wireless usb adapters work well in Slacko 5.7.0?

rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is one more suggestion. Using the PWF Config, give the machine a static IP address.

jaywalker52

#22 Post by jaywalker52 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is one more suggestion. Using the PWF Config, give the machine a static IP address.

From your instructions what is "an available IP address from your network"? Is it my router's IP adress?

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

On a Puppy machine (if you can get it to connect by Wifi) click the PWF Status button. It will show you an IP address like 192.168.2.12. Or run the command: ifconfig

On a Windows machine, open a DOS window and run: ipconfig

For a static IP address, pick something at the high end of the subnet that would likely be unused, like 192.168.2.200.

A while back, you mentioned a problem with the bogus IP address 169.254.169.22. That suggests to me a conflict between the DHCP server on your router and the DHCP client in Puppy. By using a static IP address, you may avoid the problem.

jaywalker52

#24 Post by jaywalker52 »

On a Puppy machine (if you can get it to connect by Wifi) click the PWF Status button. It will show you an IP address like 192.168.2.12. Or run the command: ifconfig

On a Windows machine, open a DOS window and run: ipconfig

For a static IP address, pick something at the high end of the subnet that would likely be unused, like 192.168.2.200.

A while back, you mentioned a problem with the bogus IP address 169.254.169.22. That suggests to me a conflict between the DHCP server on your router and the DHCP client in Puppy. By using a static IP address, you may avoid the problem.
Thanks. I'll try that.

jaywalker52

#25 Post by jaywalker52 »

I tried it to no avail. Back to windows on this machine for the time being. I'll probably try a different adapter at some point or run an ethernet connection. Thanks.

ardvark

#26 Post by ardvark »

jaywalker52 wrote:I'll probably try a different adapter at some point or run an ethernet connection.
Hi...

Purchasing a more compatible wireless adapter would probably be the easiest. I've had great success using this adapter from thinkpenguin.com with Precise 5.6.1. :)

Linux, overall, still does not support wireless adapters very well, sadly. :(

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Keisha

#27 Post by Keisha »

I have the TP-Link TL-WN727N USB wireless adapter. It works great under Shiba Inu Mate which is I believe based on one of the Slacko's.

I have however found that this adapter will not work if plugged into a usb3 port. It must be plugged into a usb2 port.

In Frisbee, there is a timeout setting under Diagnostics and I've found that a 15-second timeout helps to maintain the connection when using Frisbee.

Also if you are accessing the 'Net from home in a crowded urban area it may help to ask your Internet provider how to switch your wifi cablemodem to a different channel than the standard one, to avoid interference. (--or, if using a hardwired DSL or non-wifi cablemodem, see your wifi router's admin procedure to switch it to another channel).

Also, if you use Dougal's network setup, and WPA2 encryption, make sure you change Security from Open to Restricted before you save the access point settings.

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, I set up my TL-WN822N using ndiswrapper and it became MUCH more powerful.

The Windows driver files were on the mini-CD and I had to blacklist rtl8192cu.

ardvark

#29 Post by ardvark »

Hi all...

Speaking of compatible adapters with Slacko 5.7, I just noticed this post from kforce today.

Looks like it's on sale, too! :)

Regards...

Pelo

comment blacklister le module

#30 Post by Pelo »

comment blacklister le module French newbies from Windows, jump to french forum for how-to do blacklist in Toutoulinux (assistant général de configuration).
The Gui to access is specific.