[SOLVED]How to update FireFox in Slacko 6.3.0 32 bit

Using applications, configuring, problems
Pete

[SOLVED]How to update FireFox in Slacko 6.3.0 32 bit

#1 Post by Pete »

Hi all

Just started today, when I log into Gmail, it tells me my browser is no longer supported.

Checked Firefox and it tells me it's up to date.

Confused.

Should I just hack the User Agent string reported by Firefox rather?
Anyone know of a "working" User Agent string?
Attachments
FireFoxUpdate1.png
(65.44 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
FireFoxUpdate2.png
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
Last edited by Pete on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

The latest that comes with Slackware 14.1 is now Firefox 45.4.0:
https://slackbuilds.org/mirror/slackware/slackware-14.1/patches/packages/mozilla-firefox-45.4.0esr-i486-1_slack14.1.txz (44MB)

I think it installs to /usr/lib/firefox-45.4. I guess you could try that one next, or just press Dismiss? :)

Pete

#3 Post by Pete »

Hi Sailor

Many thanks for that.
Is it compatible with Slacko 6.3.0 32 bits and it does not break other things?

s243a

#4 Post by s243a »

If you were just going to hack the user agent string, why not try clicking where it says "dismiss". That said if your version of puppy is new enough, then I'm sure someone has an upgrade for you.

Pete

#5 Post by Pete »

Hi s243a

That is exactly what I'm doing at the moment, clicking on the dismiss button, but wondering for how much longer it will work until Google decides it will no longer play ball.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Pete, you seem like a pretty smart guy.

Do yourself a favor and sign up with a real email service!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Pete.

You could always try the method I outlined for using NetFlix in FireFox 49.....at least until they organise their services to support WideVine in FF.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108334

Just install the 'UserAgentOverrider' extension, and follow the instructions. GMail will think you're running Chrome 53....and should be happy. Mind you, it still keeps on working properly even with 'out-of-date' browsers; by & large it's just scare tactics.

See how ya get on with it.

Mike. :wink:

Pete

#8 Post by Pete »

@Semme

Had a look at that email service, have to say that the no-tracking and storage space available is rather appealing.
100GB for $9/month is a pretty sweet deal, considering I could use it to store quite a few video clips and have them available at which ever studio I'm at.
Email + cloud storage in one.
Thanks for the tip.

@Mike Walsh

I decided to go the user agent route but didn't have to install any add ons.
Just added a user agent over-ride string, put my original user agent but changed the 38's to 45's, problem solved.

So now I can continue using Gmail ( without that irritating message) and also seriously considering the service suggested by Semme.

Thanks for your input guys.
Gonna mark this thread as solved.

WB7ODYFred

Update FireFox in Slacko 6.3.2 32 bit.

#9 Post by WB7ODYFred »

I accomplised this from running Slacko 32 bit 6.3.2 version
Install i486 packages if running 32 bit or x86_64 if running 64 bit.

Use Puppy Package Manager to install Pulse Audio pakage, apulse-0.1.9 from the standard place.
Packages succesfully Installed or Downloaded
apulse-0.1.9
menu --> setup --> puppy package manager

If that does not work here is a Slackware 14.1 salix URL link
https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.1/salix-i ... 1.txz.html

Download Firefox 64.0 https://download.mozilla.org/?product=f ... lang=en-US

Open with Pupzip or XArchive 0.2.8-6 and Extract the Tar xz compressed FireFox 64.0 file to this directory /usr/lib/firefox

Open a Rxvt terminal Menu --> Utility --> Urxvt Terminal Emulator
Copy <Ctrl-C> the code window below and paste <shift-insert> into command line terminal window.
check where the symlink points to now.
remove the old symlink
create new symlink pointing to new Firefox 64.0 executable /usr/lib/firefox/firefox

Code: Select all

ls -ld /usr/bin/firefox     
rm /usr/bin/firefox
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox  /usr/bin/firefox    
Wish to update the youtube viewer minitube here is a Slackware URL link.
https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.0/slacky- ... l.txz.html
Please add configuration or verify steps below.
Make sure you properly shutdown your Slacko 6.3.2 Linux so that all these changes get updated in the save file for use next time you reboot Salcko 6.3.2

Error messages seen when starting from a Terminal Window:
# whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox

#usr/bin/firefox
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(firefox:13370): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin:13685): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin:13727): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin:13752): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin:13801): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin:13985): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout'

(/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin:14003): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: object class `GtkSettings' has no property named `gtk-decoration-layout
'
Attachments
ScreenshotFireFox64_3(2).png
(46.65 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
ScreenshotFirefox64_1.png
(46.07 KiB) Downloaded 355 times